Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Something you started doing, that you would have never done while drinking

Notices

Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No that I haven't spent every night drinking, I have decided to put some structure into my life & my childrens lives. Before to be honest it would be, go brush your teeth I'll be up in a few to tuck you in. Which may be any where between 10 min - 30 min.

I have now decided to lay in bed with my son & we read the childrens bible every right for a bit before he goes to bed. I would have never done that before. Never even thought of it.

I find it calming for both of us. I hope to see some changes in him as well, as he has some reading difficulties, and is in a special class for it.

There are other things too, but this is really something I hope we stick with.

What do you do now that you never even considered when you were a drinker?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

This isnt exciting but I never would have gone anywhere in the evening because that is when I drank. Now I go to the movies and out with friends and I dont need to rush home to grab a beer.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I'm sitting in the college library doing math homework, which is way too easy. When I was drinking I dropped out of school because I was failing.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can do some things I won't mention here...

Now I am not passed out in my chair not remembering the show my wife and kids will talk about the next day.

Now I am not passed out in my chair not being able to talk to my son about his B-ball practice or school.

Now I am not passed out in my chair and not able to help my daughter (who just moved back in) with her college paper.

I can do these things now....especially cause I stay up now til like 12:30 or 1am. Hope that goes away sooner than later.

Its been so much better, more clear the next day.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Running and cycling, that wouldn't have gone too well with drink inside.
I find now I can also do all of the things that I thought I would never be able to do unless I was drinking.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find now I can also do all of the things that I thought I would never be able to do unless I was drinking
Well said Dave!

I am riding and working at a competitive level with rodeo horses again - something I never thought would happen in a million years when I was drinking!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by ToABetterMe View Post
I have now decided to lay in bed with my son & we read the childrens bible every right for a bit before he goes to bed.
That made my heart smile. I think that's awesome

I'm back in school now - I take time and really focus on my homework instead of rushing through so I can drink and grumble about why I have to do stupid homework. And I'm thankful for not killing off any more brain cells than I already have.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am on a ski team in the winter, I bicycle to work in the summer, I remember more things (Massyman), I write and read on this website, Most of all I feel good in the mornings!

Heavy
Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

Unfortunately all I do different is read and post here. I need to get a life. When I revisit this I hope I have a better answer.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

great post....some thing i do now and not while drinking.....

1..visit my mother because i love her.....not because i love her money.

2..Work to support my family.......which has the added bonus of giving me my self esteem back..

3..Go out with friends or my wife and not take two days to get over it..

4..Pray to god to thank him for his help.... rather than begging him to get me out of a tight situation.

5..Eat properly and regular......instead of going days without eating and surviving on alcohol.

6..Being honest with my wife instead of chatting complete bs most of the time and wouldnt know the truth if it hit me on the nose.

Thank god im not drinking today...............trucker
Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I never would have made it back to the gym......I tried to go once while and almost fell off the treadmill!
I also never would have made it back to church......I always felt too guilty to go while drinking.
I went over and helped a friend redecorate yesterday--that never would have happened.

I can make any phone call I want at any time of day........no more drunk dialing!!!!!!!!! That was tough.....(Next day)-----> "what did we talk about last night anyway?" UGH...
Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
I can make any phone call I want at any time of day........no more drunk dialing!!!!!!!!! That was tough.....(Next day)-----> "what did we talk about last night anyway?" UGH...
Hah... So nice not to have to check my phone every morning to see who I texted/called the previous night.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Resident

Oh ya I remember those calls. I had to wait till I got the LD bill in on most of them and sometimes they were huge.
I feel for the poor souls that had to put up with me as I hated getting the drunk call when I was sober. Trying to remember any of the conversation was near impossible.

I did the same with forum posts and some were pretty bad and I couldn't delete them. I pushed them to the second page so as few peeps possible would read them.
I am glad that is all behind me now.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

Fubarcdn ~ Try doing one new thing everyday, even if it means taking a different route to the mailbox, you'd be amazed at what you might find! (Ive actually done this, at least it was new scenery.)
Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post

My wife calls it 'Smiling and dialing'
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Oh ya I remember those calls. I had to wait till I got the LD bill in on most of them and sometimes they were huge.
I feel for the poor souls that had to put up with me as I hated getting the drunk call when I was sober. Trying to remember any of the conversation was near impossible.
LOL.......you made me laugh so hard I almost, well, you know! Way too funny!:wtf2

Oh my, I just figured out what the above little icon guy really means....way to go......I honestly thought this was a real hip site and it What the__?

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

This is called punch drunk......clean and sober!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm getting paid on Friday and I have money left in my account.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
Hah... So nice not to have to check my phone every morning to see who I texted/called the previous night.
I didn't call people. I was convinced that no one liked me and I didn't have any friends. I would complain about it and my poor partner would try to convince me but I was adamant!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I started Weight Watchers with my fiance last Saturday. Beers are 3 food points, I'm allowed 30 points a day. 10 beers was just enough to get me started when I drank, I certainly couldn't have been on any diet!

I play paintball with my son now. I stay calm even when the play gets a little heated, that's quite a change from my rages.

I have true friendships. Now there's a novel concept.

I have a healthy relationship with my fiance, who's also in recovery. It's the first healthy relationship I've ever had.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have taken up photography.