Notices

I desperately need help

Old 01-28-2009, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I desperately need help

Hi there! I am incredibly scared for my health and my life and I have no idea what to do. I started binge drinking in college and suddenly it turned into drinking vodka alone in my room for the past 3 years. currently I am studying in Australia and since ive been here for 14 days, ive had a liter of vodka every single day. Every day i keep telling myself that I will never drink again, bc my body is feeling horrible! but the withdrawals are too much to handle! the doctor here won't give me any medicine and my insurance doesn't cover a detox program. what can i do? what can i do to help the withdrawals? if i slowly cut down the drinking patterns and then stop the drinking all together would that work for the withdrawals? PLEASE help me im suffering here by myself and i am really scared.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi muwel, welcome to SR. Detoxing alone can be very dangerous, even deadly. You really need some medical help. Why not go to the ER, if the hospitals there are like the ones here they cant turn you away just because you cant pay for treatment. Im praying for you.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If your insurance covers hospitals, that's what I would do. It is best to detox in a medical setting where they can monitor you. There are things that could go wrong.

That's a really scary place to be. You need help and don't know how to get it for yourself. It's one thing when people are telling you "get help" and when you're the one telling yourself to do it, it seems like there's nothing out there.

Have you tried talking to a school counselor? Is there anyone there that you can talk to that would honor your privacy.

I hope this all works out for you. Good luck!!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
Hi muwel, welcome to SR. Detoxing alone can be very dangerous, even deadly. You really need some medical help. Why not go to the ER, if the hospitals there are like the ones here they cant turn you away just because you cant pay for treatment. Im praying for you.
ditto to what felly said too!!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Muwel,
Yes, if you are drinking that much on a regular basis, you will need to withdraw under medical attention. You can make it through this! Please go to the ER if you have that option. Your body has an amazing ability to heal if you let it!
Let us know what happens! Hugs, HG
Old 01-28-2009, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i spoke to a woman on the phone about where i could go, and she said that the doctors could perscribe me vallium and i could just take it at home. do you think its really that dangerous if i do that?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I believe it is dangerous to do that, but i'm just a garden variety drunk not a doctor. I spend a lot of time at meetings at treatment centers and listening to medical lectures and the one recurring theme is not to try to detox alone. Alcohol withdrawals can kill you, there are possibilities of tremons, seizures, etc.

You are embarking on a new and wonderful life of recovery, why take the risk? I know it is scary but this is your life you're dealing with.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by muwel88 View Post
i spoke to a woman on the phone about where i could go, and she said that the doctors could perscribe me vallium and i could just take it at home. do you think its really that dangerous if i do that?
I'm no Dr, but I'd get a second opinion if I were you. I would go to the ER and see what they say. That's an awful lot to be drinking every day. I say err on the side of caution.

Having said this, I was having this bad pain just last Wed. Everytime I breathed it hurt. It went away in four days with medical help, so don't feel like you've done irreparable damage. As mentioned, the body does have an amazing way of recovering once we stop drinking.

Stick close to this forum and keep posting. I am on day eight now and couldn't have done it without this place.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I'm no Dr, but I'd get a second opinion if I were you. I would go to the ER and see what they say. That's an awful lot to be drinking every day. I say err on the side of caution.

Having said this, I was having this bad pain just last Wed. Everytime I breathed it hurt. It went away in four days with medical help, so don't feel like you've done irreparable damage. As mentioned, the body does have an amazing way of recovering once we stop drinking.

Stick close to this forum and keep posting. I am on day eight now and couldn't have done it without this place.

how much were you drinking before?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with all, please try to get medical help.

Hang in there, your choice to change your life will be worth every headache and every heartache you go thru.

God bless you.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

how much were you drinking before?
Well, I was a wine drinker, but a liter on the weeknights and then maybe 6 over the weekends, which is an awful lot of wine.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

OK.....I am not a doctor and this is not meant to be any sort of medical advice. I share this not to frighten you or anyone else, but just so that you have some idea of what can happen. My boyfriend's son is an alcoholic and addict (crack) who drank as much or more than you but for a longer period of time. Over the summer, we finally convinced him to go to the ER. While there, he was diagnosed with alcoholic hep., cirrhosis, and jaundice. The doctors gave him a 50/50 shot of surviving the cirrhosis, the hep., and the DTs that he went through. While in the DTs, he had hallucinations of giant spiders, old TV shows playing on the walls, FBI agents coming to get him....he had to be restrained and sedated.

He survived and now may not even need a liver transplant if he would just take care of himself (lose the crack addiction).

Your body can and will heal, but alcohol withdrawal is not something to be undertaken alone and without medical supervision. Please ask for another opinion or just go to the ER!

Big Hugs

HG
Old 01-28-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi and welcome to sr..

Firstly thankyou to hydrogirl for pointing out the horrors of a serious De-tox.

Mine were truly horrific...restrained and sedated for three days till i became lucid again....I wouldnt want anyone to go through that.

I have some of my tougue missing to remind me of the worst moments of detox........And hopefully i will never forget some of the images i saw but no one else could...

And to the newcomer....It would be very unwise to stop suddenly.
I dont know the situation in other countrys..
But do you have volentary agencys that can advise you of the best route.?

Is there any sally armys places you could ring...here in the uk they will detox.
but there is a huge waiting list.....

You need support and medical advice.........i pray to god that you get it.

Keep us posted to how your doing............take care.......trucker
Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Valium may ease the withdrawal anxiety but I'd go to the hospital if I were you. Best to have medical supervision the first few days at least. Please be safe while detoxing.

Welcome to a great place for support and understanding!

:ghug3
Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
hi and welcome to sr..

Firstly thankyou to hydrogirl for pointing out the horrors of a serious De-tox.

Mine were truly horrific...restrained and sedated for three days till i became lucid again....I wouldnt want anyone to go through that.

I have some of my tougue missing to remind me of the worst moments of detox........And hopefully i will never forget some of the images i saw but no one else could...

And to the newcomer....It would be very unwise to stop suddenly.
I dont know the situation in other countrys..
But do you have volentary agencys that can advise you of the best route.?

Is there any sally armys places you could ring...here in the uk they will detox.
but there is a huge waiting list.....

You need support and medical advice.........i pray to god that you get it.

Keep us posted to how your doing............take care.......trucker

wait so all of those horrible happenings at detox? will that happen to me? im only 20 and have only been drinking seriously heavily for 2 weeks.... earlier i was drinking too much but never had withdrawals! what will detox be like? will i feel okay? or whats the comfort levels while you are there?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

wait so all of those horrible happenings at detox? will that happen to me? im only 20 and have only been drinking seriously heavily for 2 weeks.... earlier i was drinking too much but never had withdrawals! what will detox be like? will i feel okay? or whats the comfort levels while you are there?
I went to detox. All they did was give me some valium and other pills and monitor my blood pressure and vitals. What I hated the most was not being able to sleep and the fact they always put two people in the same room. Other than that, the food was very good and I went in on a Monday and was released on a Wednesday. I had the shakes and high blood pressure and that was it. HOWEVER, I still needed to go there, as my blood pressure was very high and could have resulted in a stroke.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Just please go get help, get detoxed, and start fresh..It doesn't mean everything WILL happen to you, but COULD.

We'll be here when you're all clean, we promise!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

muwel88, be calm and take a deep breath.

I do think it wise to seek medical help. I believe quitting the booze and withdrawl symptoms are totally different for every single person.

I drank nearly 750ml of vodka each day on and off for 20 or more years and my withdrawls have been managable. Some other folks have tough medical problems with it, reaction to take care of yourself medically is very smart, over reaction and trembling fear isn't healthy either.

Get some proper medical advice from a doctor and don't stress out too much, that won't help anything. Act, but don't freak out ok?

Peace is a good healer while you get medical attention as well.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry i didnt mean to frighten you.....but its important that i get across how dangerous Detoxing CAN be.....i thought you wrote 2 years not 2 weeks...my mistake..
BUT imo you still need medical advice.......alcohol is like any other drug...your body will react without it.........how badly i wouldnt know.
I have a long long history of alcoholism and poor diet.......the two together resulted in serious withdrawals..
The GOOD news is YOU can recover......countless people have before you.
And life can be good without booze...............trucker
Old 01-28-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
Sorry i didnt mean to frighten you.....but its important that i get across how dangerous Detoxing CAN be.....i thought you wrote 2 years not 2 weeks...my mistake..
BUT imo you still need medical advice.......alcohol is like any other drug...your body will react without it.........how badly i wouldnt know.
I have a long long history of alcoholism and poor diet.......the two together resulted in serious withdrawals..
The GOOD news is YOU can recover......countless people have before you.
And life can be good without booze...............trucker

well no, it defintiely has been 2 years of alcohol abuse.... but nothing like the past 2 weeks of a liter of vodka a day. a woman i spoke to said i could just get vallium and do it at home.... it would be much cheaper for me. do you think this could be okay?