Notices

Lies of the Addict Voice

Old 01-28-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My addict voice has been telling me that I'm making a drama out of nothing and that I'm not really an alcoholic!! Horrible horrible, my life was full of drama and chaos becuse of things I did when drunk so I'm ignoring this voice, I know its WRONG!!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
getting there

Wow, thanks for the shares guys, it helps so much to know that I'm not the only one!

Trucker, I love your "sidewinder" theory... it's so true. It's like as soon as you have the first-line attacks figured out, it comes up with another way to trick you!

Today mine was saying that there are lots more meaningful sobriety dates than 1/1... why don't you try it again sometime when it's less cliche? Also... you have a few more drunken good times in you before you really get into trouble!

As if it was ever really "good times".
Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

WOW! This is such a good post! I don't think there's any I could add to those because each and every one of them apply to me! I want to print this out and make a opy to put everywhere, on my refrigerator, on the mirror, in my purse...

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

Fantastic thread.

I can relate to every single post.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

just want to thank you for this thread
Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Awesome thread and how close to home it hits. Thanks CG!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
getting there

I'm glad everyone's getting something out of this thread!

Today my addict voice is acting like a spoiled, angry two-year-old. I've been feeling sorry for myself all afternoon that I can't drink, it's not fair, why can't I be like other people, blah blah blah. Just kind of in a bad mood about this tonight. But, as loud as this tantrum is, I'm still not going to drink tonight. Tomorrow is 30 days!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Awesome CG!! Way to go and I look forward to posting a congratulations to you tomorrow too.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

My "Alcoholic/Addict voice" tells me that "I can have just one"... one bottle and no more! That I can keep it a "secret" from my sponsor, family & friends.... that it'll be okay and "No one will know"!

What'a CROCK! First, I can't have "just one" of anything! Secondly, I'd have too much guilt to NOT tell on myself! Third, It'll NEVER be okay and it's never been okay after taking that 1st drink for a long time now! It doesn't ever end in the way that demon talks to me and coos me into thinking - "It'll be different this time". LOL LOL LOL... all the way to the bottom of the abyss! NOT!

Thanks for this thread! A great reminder of really what we're up against and need to be wary of!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I always need to be aware of the addictive voice, as once ive conqured one thought, it will always think of a new way to trick me x
Old 02-23-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

wow GREAT idea to think about that and write it down... i need to get working on that because i honestly dont know how my mind tricks me lol
Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
getting there

Oh my gosh, you are so right about it finding new ways to trick you! As soon as you think you've figured it out, it blindsides you from some opposite direction.

Today it was trying to convince me that I should try just one more time to be a social drinker only. Since I did most of my drinking at home, alone, social drinking wasn't the problem... but it certainly led to the problem starting over again! Still, my voice wants me to think I have control now, and everything will be okay "this time".

And when all else fails, it says, yeah, you're an alcoholic, but why don't you just drink now and quit some other time?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by colagirl View Post
Oh my gosh, you are so right about it finding new ways to trick you! As soon as you think you've figured it out, it blindsides you from some opposite direction.

Today it was trying to convince me that I should try just one more time to be a social drinker only. Since I did most of my drinking at home, alone, social drinking wasn't the problem... but it certainly led to the problem starting over again! Still, my voice wants me to think I have control now, and everything will be okay "this time".

And when all else fails, it says, yeah, you're an alcoholic, but why don't you just drink now and quit some other time?

YES
mine is always like "yes, you can control it! suuuure! " LIES!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
getting there

This time will be different!!!, it insists.

What a load of cr@p.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by colagirl View Post

"CUNNING, BAFFLING & POWERFUL....WITHOUT HELP, IT IS TOO MUCH FOR US!!!!!" !!!
That's why we need eachother and support!!! Left to our own devices -- our head -- we will surely drink again! For me today: God, SR, AA, church, family and friends!!! I'm networking myself around a bunch of people so I don't fall without having at least the hands there to help me "beforehand". I've been down this road too many times on my own "trying" to stay sober... It worked long enough to get me drunk again!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It will be different this time!!! Well, the voice was right, it is different this time, in that everything is now ten times worse than the last time. I hate the voice. Strange, when I'm all sick and hungover the voice is veeerrry quiet.:wtf2
Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mine too, but it starts screaming again when the hangover is gone!