Notices

finding a job after a DUI charge

Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
To be convicted means to be found guilty. Until the accused is found guilty, they do NOT have a criminal record, according to the law. Even though the accused may be 'up' on charges of impaired driving, this information is not normally disclosed in a routine criminal background check.

I'm pretty sure, though, that even if charges are withdrawn, this charge WILL show up on their record - but not until the matter is complete.

It's true that you won't have a criminal record until convicted, but withdrawn charges/acquittals/stays are not disclosed in background checks. The police can see them, and typically prosecutors (who would disclose them to defence counsel if applicable), but they won't be shown to prospective employers. In Canada, convictions are at the top, and the rest are at the bottom so they can be torn off if the record is printed out.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

<---- has 2 DUI's on his record. I have been denied for jobs and gotten jobs. Not necessarily of my criminal record. Moreso, all the jobs I "quit" from because I forgot to show up.

I have a friend in HR who says all their ever looking for is theft or sex offenses, and some, but not all felonies. A DUI should never be a hindrance unless you're trying to get a driving or some kind of legal jobs. Heck, I know drug convicted felons with military clearance. It all depends on what you did and what you've done since. Your treatments show up on background whether we like to admit it or not.

Personally, I faked my way into a background check. Mine showed my cases were disposed but I did all my time.

BTW, Withdrawn/acquittals DO show up in certain background checks. They just show as "charges not filed" but the arrest record is still there.

Not supposed to give legal advice, but the first thing I did was go to the courthouse and get that piece of paper that shows my charges and says "DISPOSED" on it. It's come in handy.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

To all the folks who have been told pending charges do not show, this is not true, at least not if the record comes from the courthouse. I know because I got tired of worrying about it and went and got it myself. It shows as "pending" and your court date. I have a DWI from 1996 and one pending and I have lost my job and have had this keep me from getting another. Almost all employers now either ask on the application or do a check, some do both. I am so frustrated and depressed it is seriously interfering with my recovery. I am glad I am sober and if it took this to get me sober I keep telling myself it is worth it, but not being able to get a job is messing up my head. I feel so worthless.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have a law degree, got a DUI, and was still admitted to practice and found jobs...so it is certainly possible
Old 04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberforgood View Post
To all the folks who have been told pending charges do not show, this is not true, at least not if the record comes from the courthouse. I know because I got tired of worrying about it and went and got it myself. It shows as "pending" and your court date. I have a DWI from 1996 and one pending and I have lost my job and have had this keep me from getting another. Almost all employers now either ask on the application or do a check, some do both. I am so frustrated and depressed it is seriously interfering with my recovery. I am glad I am sober and if it took this to get me sober I keep telling myself it is worth it, but not being able to get a job is messing up my head. I feel so worthless.
What type of job are you trying to get?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

the wreckage of our past !!

Originally Posted by BDP View Post
I got a DUI
I have a Masters so I'm looking for an office job of some type.
I have had too many DUIs
should not have much effect on employment in a office position
unless we get another one or two
then we will not be driving to work anywhere

yes I rode a motorized bicycle around town for two years
due to the loss of my drivers license

a young man that I have known for many years now
wanted to be a school bus driver
the state was paying for his truck driving school
he got one DUI while attending school
that career is out for him now

sometimes drunks just don't think straight !!

it can be hard on us the wreckage of our past !!

onehigherpower
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Angry

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
What type of job are you trying to get?
I have over 25 years in human services, most recently as a social work supervisor. I was allowed to resign, so at least I didn't get fired. I have other work experience and a good work record. I keep telling myself something will turn up. I have a master's degree but I am not above any kind of work, I have applied for retail and restaurant jobs, it's just I don't have any experience in those areas. I went to an AA meeting tonight and that made me feel better. I am trying not to be on a pity pot. This too shall pass and the important thing is to stay sober...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

DUIs are driving offenses, not criminal offenses. That means they won't show up on a criminal background check. Your real obstacle will be transporting yourself if you can't drive. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberforgood View Post
I have over 25 years in human services, most recently as a social work supervisor. I was allowed to resign, so at least I didn't get fired. I have other work experience and a good work record. I keep telling myself something will turn up. I have a master's degree but I am not above any kind of work, I have applied for retail and restaurant jobs, it's just I don't have any experience in those areas. I went to an AA meeting tonight and that made me feel better. I am trying not to be on a pity pot. This too shall pass and the important thing is to stay sober...
You shouldn't resign and let them fire you. That way you could have a change to get unemployment. When you resign you fortit the right to apply for it and they don't have to worry about it.

Looking for a job is hard these days. Just stick to it and things should get better.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks, but they had cause to fire me, I would not have gotten UIB. Because I worked for local government, my firing and the cause would have been available to potential employers (or anyone else - it is public information). If it had just been the DWI, I probably would have fought it, but I was drunk on the job. Resignation was my best choice.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shoreladylu View Post
DUIs are driving offenses, not criminal offenses. That means they won't show up on a criminal background check. Your real obstacle will be transporting yourself if you can't drive. Good luck.
DWI is a criminal offense, a misdemeanor (usually - depending on the circumstances, it may be a felony). It stays there forever unless you can get it expunged. It also stays on your DMV record.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by shoreladylu View Post
Ditto what soberforgood said, and they DO show up on a criminal background check.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

This thread was started in 2009? I was going to respond but now I am confused lol
Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Just be happy you have a masters......I did delivery type work, drove a car or truck....that kind of work you would not be able get a job they run a check. Their ins company would not insur you... I was so lucky it all work out for me...
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You are right, I have a lot more going for me than against me, including a very supportive husband. I need to do a gratitude check more often. Thanks to all for your support also. I am glad I found this resource.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good news! I am going to training for a job especially designed for people in recovery, working with others with MH/SA issues. I am beginning to get hopeful again.