Notices

Newbie Here

Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Here

I came across this forum, and I am hoping I will find some help. I have been drinking every single day for about 7 years. I am 29 years old, and I want to be able to drink socially like most people, and not "need" it. Cutting it out cold turkey seems unrealistic, as I am typing this drinking a glass of wine. I am so lost.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hope I haven't double posted, for some reason my response isn't showing up (so I'm not sure if I have a computer glitch).

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that its a really good sign that you are seeking out resources and trying to really asess your drinking habits and alcohol abuse. Have you spoken to anyone else about this? A doctor, therapist, trusted friend or family member?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You still there?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For some reason when i send you a message it says i cant send you a message because i dont have enough posts...good to know you go it, I didnt want you to think i was ignoring you? I hope you are getting my messages at least...how long have you been sober?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you want to talk privately, just use the "send private message" rather than the "visitor message". Or, we can just talk via posts, whichever you prefer.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

But to answer your question... I have been in and out of the program (and when people say "the program" they generally mean AA) for over a year. I recently had a bad relapse, so I'm now back on the wagon. Heading into day 6. So I don't have an impressive record of "x" number of years being sober. But I do know a lot about alcoholism, that's for sure. I hope that doesn't discourage you from considering treatment or sobriety, because if you work the program, it DOES work. I have just been stubborn and refused to do the things I was supposed to do to stay sober. So now I have to re-dedicate myself to it.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I try to send a private message that is where it says I need to have a certain amount of posts before I can. Well..I havent even gone one day sober in 7 years, and like I said, I am drinking as I type. I come from a whole long line of alcoholics and drug addicts in my family, so it has been really hard to kick this...and to be honest I dont know if i want to kick it cold turkey..but i do know im sick of drinking every single day
Old 01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's a good place to start. You and I have something in common, my parents were (and still are) hardcore alcoholics. It makes it really hard. I'm guessing you probably didn't have the easiest time growing up around that either.

And I know that the idea of kicking it "cold turkey" is pretty terrifying. But honestly, that's probably the biggest sign that you need some help, and have a serious problem -- or are heading down a dangerous path. I'm not saying that to judge you -- I'm a drunk, too. I know how hard it is.

Have you talked to anyone about this?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I haven't really talked to anyone about it seriously..everyone knows i drink everyday and that i drink too much and make their comments that i should try to cut it down, and I just say "i know." I feel like if i talk about doing it, no one will really believe me until they see it...its so much easier to talk on this forum, because you are dealing with people that are just like you, and wont judge you. I am actually going to try to go to bed now (stop drinking) and try as hard as i can to come back on here tomorrow to say i havent had a drink. I hope to talk more tomorrow
Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Even though it sounds like a crazy idea, you might want to consider just popping into an AA meeting. You'll be surrounded by people who have the same problem you have! And they can help you -- a LOT. Even more than a website.

Just do your best, try to be kind to yourself. There is a wealth of resources out there to help you, if you are willing to accept it.

Take care of yourself.

B
Old 01-26-2009, 11:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

PS - I can tell you from experience... Going at it alone is a lot harder (and a lot less likely to be successful) than if you reach out for some kind of support, help, etc. If you have been drinking daily, there is a good chance you may experience some nasty withdrawal symptoms. Talking to a doctor or someone who can help you navigate this tricky terrain may be a good option to seek out.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I believe you will have to make a decision to quit drinking booze totally. Drinking like normal people might not be an option as your history has shown it can lead to everyday drinking. It's like smoking cigarettes, the idea that you can have the occasional cigarette once or twice a week simply wont work for most of those who have progressed to a pack a day. Best of luck with whatever course you take to get on top of your problem.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you've been drinking every day for seven years you may want to talk to your doctor about quitting, as alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. As far as drinking socially... I wanted to be able to do that too, but I can't cause I'm an alcoholic and can't drink responsibly. I can never have just one or two glasses of wine, always drink the whole bottle and then feel ashamed of myself, not to mention feeling like crap the next day.

Also if you've been drinking every day for seven years, and know you drink too much, it may be very difficult to maintain normal/social drinking. I know I can't do it. Stopping drinking altogether is the only way I can 'control' my drinking.

I wish you the best. If you decide you want to stop drinking, do come here often. We'll give you our experience strength and hope and all the support we can give.

:ghug3
Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death."

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, The Big Book
1st Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 01-27-2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Added source..as per SR Posting Rules
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR...

There is a program called Moderation Management.
Google for their site.

They do say it's not for alcoholics and also you
are to be clear of alcohol for 30 days before
attempting to follow their plan.

I have no experience with MM...I'm an alcoholic
and absoltely know to return to drinking is not for me.

Hope you find answers that give you a healthy future...
Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to SR!

I was not able to control my drinking, my drinking controlled me. I might stick to one glass of wine/day for about a week, then I would reward myself for being good and drink a whole bottle.

I found this link helpful in explaining why I could not control my alcohol:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 01-27-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Do talk to your dr before you begin to detox, as it can be very dangerous.

As Carol said, I am an alcoholic, and I tried desperately to control my drinking, but failed every time.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome dd and good luck.
Unforyunately I am also like almost everyone else. I tried for more years than I can count to control my drinking but finally came to the realization that I could not. If you can that is great and you will probably have ti try it and see for yourself,
Come here either way and we all will support your efforts. If AA is not your thing a lot of people here are doing it on their own with the help of SR and succeeding so if you do decide you have to quit it can be done.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome

I'll echo what Carol said, as I looked into Moderation Management at first (haahahahah who was I fooling, certainly not myself!?). They do ask that you be sober for 30 days, and that it is not a program for alcoholics, as alcoholics cannot moderate, and if they do it is hell on earth!

Try the 30 days, see how you feel..

Glad you found us!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Everyone's posts has been helpful to me. I definitely want to go the complete and total sober route, at least for awhile, before "trying the moderation" thing. I know if I tried that now I wouldn't be successful. Everyone's advice and suggestions have been so awesome. Thank you so much!