Notices

The Newcomer is the Most Important Person

Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

The Newcomer is the Most Important Person

I was reading over some older threads when I noticed that I ran across some newcomers who felt like what they had to say wasn't of any value. Whether you are struggling to get through your first day or have many years in Recovery, I learn something from every single person here on SR.

If I ever feel like I have this thing called addiction licked, I need to read about the person who relapsed. On days when I feel like I could take a comfortable seat on the proverbial pitty pot, it helps me to see that I'm not the only one struggling through this thing called life. If I can't get out to a Meeting, I can just sit down at my desk and get the next best thing.

When the clock struck midnight and it became Sunday, January 25, I am now celebrating three and a half years in Recovery! Me! The hopeless dope fiend and drunk who struggled to maintain any length of Sobriety for over 25 years. The woman who was once nicknamed the Queen of Relapse by the nurses on the detox unit that I unfortunately could have had a frequent flyer card filled up with punches to.

I intentionally posted this in the newcomers forum for the simple fact that I hope everyone out there reading this realizes just how important they are to me and everyone else who logs in here.

What you have to say and share matters more than you will ever realize.

God Bless & Thank God . . .Just for Today,
Judy

Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Thank you, thank you, thank you SQ!! You are 100% right. I'm really glad you took the time to point that out.

:ghug3
Old 01-24-2009, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. Although it's only the end of my 2nd day, it means a lot to me to meet and communicate with like-minded people who are, or who have paid the consequences of their addictions and are striving to defeat the demons that control and torment theirs and other peoples souls.

All night I have thought about going to the bar, but I am determined not to let that happen ever again. Thank you one more time!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Great post SQ.
I agree completely. And I have noticed quite alot of newcomers lately. It is always wonderful to see people come here seeking a better way. Some dont stay long and some do. But the first step was taken. And thats the will to stop using. Even the ones who are lurking and reading. ("guests")
Even those guests are important. Even tho we dont hear from them. We know they are reading our shares and maybe they might see something that will help them tremendously. And we never know that maybe anything we say could make a difference to someone. You just never know.
I agree that the newcomer is very important. Not only does it remind me of where I came from. Where I was and how I felt. It can make me very humbled to see what it was like my first attempts. And makes stay on my toes. Also it gives me the opportunity to try and give some support to someone. That always makes me feel happy. To be able to stretch that hand out to a stranger and hopefully make their day just a little more hopeful.
Congrats on that 3 and half yrs SQ. Glad to see you back and posting your wonderful posts.

HUGS
Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lovely thread sernity....and 90% of the reason why i come here..

i believe that for me it is vital to reach out to the newcomer..

With the support of others i have managed to stay sober for a while now....i dont believe that would have been possible without having someone to listen..

I try to think.. what would have attracted me here if i was just sober or trying to get sober...i guess it would be..

1..Exceptance...
2..anonymity...
3..laughter in recovery....and generally happy people
4..experience...showing me that it can be done..
5..and friendship..

All of these are prominent at sr as far as I'm concerned..

have a happy sunday...................trucker
Old 01-25-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, I often don't post replies on threads because as a newbie I feel that I don't know what I'm talking about and don't want to say something stupid that could be detrimental to the person reading.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's the newcomers like myself who I feel I can help the most.

Thanks Judy for making such a valid point about the newcomers.

Congratulations on your sobriety!!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your 3 1/2 year!!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice going Judy, I always appreciate your insight. You are AWESOME.

To the newbies, I'm only 10 days into sobriety. If I can help please shout out. PM me, whatever. These first few days are the worst.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm glad to see some of the newer people having the courage to hit the reply to thread
button.

I think trucker hit the nail on the head for me when he said that the #1 reason a newcomer feels at home here is ACCEPTANCE.

I've shared many times that my first attempt at Recovery was back in 1980 when I was just out of high school. I knew I had a problem with drugs, but I was unable to ACCEPT that I was an addict. I still wanted to use but didn't want any of the consequences. So you can imagine where that lead me.

Over the years, each time when the pain got to be more than I could handle and I would hang my head in shame, put my tail between my legs and once again, go back asking for help, I felt like this time I had crossed the line. I felt like I was beyond hope. . . how could I ever tell anyone all of the sick thoughts that I have, the horrible things I have done and the people I have hurt just to get high one more time?

Who in the hell is going to be able to identify with me and how I feel?

When I finally ACCEPTED that I am an alcoholic and addict, I found what I had been searching for all of my life.

ACCEPTANCE

SummerSkye and anyone else who feels like they don't have anything of value to add, that person who may be logging on to SR for the first time or the one who is desperate and feels that their life is hopeless, just knowing that they are not alone and are ACCEPTED is the most important thing that anyone can ever hear.

Thanks to everyone for being here today.

Peace & Serenity to all,
Judy

Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

I woke up in the middle of the night (thanks) thinking of your post. I am a newb too and feel a big connection to the others that are in the same boat as me. These are the most important posts to me and as I progress I am sure they always will be,
This is an excellent post and I thank you for it.

I will add a big congrats on your time.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Judy thank you for that. I'm a newbie. Sometimes I drank because I didn't feel like I was important. So it was hard to come here and admit my problem -- again afraid of rejection. I'm sure many others feel this way. Thankfully, I did find support here, and for that I am grateful. I value every one who comes here seeking help because I know it takes courage. SR has been the best tool in recovery for me personally. I have something to occupy my mind and others that I can relate to. I hope that I can pass along encouragement to someone else struggling.

You write very eloquently
Old 01-25-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Thanks for the thread SQ!

And hugs, and more to all precious Newbies.

I pray each night for each and every one of you. Maybe not by name, there are

so many..but that God will protect your sobriety this 24 hours, and calm your

soul. You all are special.

And a special shout out to RebelTex!

Newbies

Sher
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Judy - Thank you for the spot on post. You offer encouragment, and you are an inspiration to me and so many others.