Notices

Playing with fire? Anyone keep liquor in the house?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

For me it doesn't bother me having it in the house. My wife still drinks from time to time.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

We have had beer in the house since before I get sober but it is the same 4 bottles that have been there since March. I am a wine drinker. So it has never bothered me. If I am going to drink, it won't be that beer. But I do not think I could have wine in my house all the time. It would make me uncomfortable but that is just me. You have to get honest with yourself and take the appropriate action, IMO
Old 01-25-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by StrongBird View Post
If it were in my house, I'd drink it.... But there would come a point where I'd be able to rationalize it or even worse, it would just happen without me even meaning to.
After reading these posts... all I can say is I agree wholeheartedly with those who say "Get rid of it"!!

My experience is not of those who are evening, weekend, beer only etc., etc., drinkers! I'm all the way, balls to the walls, type of alcoholic! It doesn't matter it I hate it, I'll drink it! It doesn't matter if it's locked up and the keys are hidden, I'll find it and break into it! It doesn't matter how much I appreciate sobriety and want a new life in it --- If alcohol is around, it will quietly beckon to me one day... and then be screaming the next, and I'll be off and running again! I am powerless over alcohol! For me that means I have no defense over it and why would I have it around when I know that's pretty much the only thing that's been destroying my life for so long? Just my thoughts, friend(s)!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Played that game with myself for years. Always the same result........Plastered and out running and gunning with a host of "other" things. A bottle of Vanilla Extract wasn't safe!! It doesn't bother me any more and I am grateful.....That is not to say I am going to keep it around. If things got real bad, and I wasn't keeping up with my recovery, it would start calling my name...."just a little, it won't hurt ya, no one will know.........." Play the tape out in your mind......
Reminds me of two things: 1). Sort of like letting a rattlesnake run free in your house or 2). Continuing to play with fire.......with each lives the insanity of thinking I won't get bitten or burned......I can't play such a game with the stakes being life and death............................................. .........Don't know what your experience has been, mine has been very bad. I have gone down that list of "nevers" and don't want to go back......Don't give up or quit trying.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Mike I understand the keeping the ciggie packet thing, but personally i would dump the booze. I am on antabuse too but i still wouldn't keep booze in the house, i just worry that you are doing that for your own sake:-)
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I've probably more alcohol in the house just now than I ever had at any point during all the years I was drinking.

When I was drinking nothing lasted long enough in our house for there to be any.

I get given bottles through work from time to time, we have guests that may drink, my wife enjoys the occasional drink, I currently have no interest in alcohol but it seems silly not to have it there.

I was quite a secretive drinker, you know what, if I was to relapse I'm far more likely to go out and buy a bottle and drink it in secret than I am to take a bottle from the house.

For me it isn't an issue, if your in early recovery it may be for you, guess as this thread proves, everyones different.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

With nine days of sobriety, I would dump it. What tools do you have to combat the urge once it hits? It takes time to lose the cumpulsion for alcohol.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I sold my bar and bar stools.
I wrapped the crystal glasses in sets ..
and the un opened alcohol in pretty paper...

giving them quickly away to drinkers.

The opened bottles an AA friend poured out for me.
I wasn't sure I could do it alone.

I've been keeping a non drinking zone at home for years.
Why wouldn't I? I'm a non drinker...

Well done on your sober time...I hope you too can
find the joy of living in sobriety.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

I have been BUSY BUSY BUSY... About a month or so ago I dumped out everything I had in the cabinet--It really wasnt alot but enough to spark a fire. Now, I had a collection of shot glasses, flasks, drink shakers(mixers) Beer cups, Makers Mark stuff--I sold it all on Ebay.
Its all gone!

My advice to anyone who wants to be, and stay sober---get rid of all your stash.
Check out ebay--maybe you can make a buck or 2.