Notices

Another sobering reason that should keep me going

Old 01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another sobering reason that should keep me going

OK, I have decided to be completely & fully honest here. Seeing as I have not been for a long time, I have always said "I don't get drunk" or "I only had a couple" or "I'm not as bad as KT, or Jenn" or what ever other friend I wanted to throw under the bus.

Well I got my first DUI several months ago. Thankfully didn't hit anyone. My husband & family were very supportive. Its been a huge financial toll on us.

So this morning my husband calls & said he just got pulled over on the way to work, I asked for what & he said because the cop just decided to run the plates on the truck. Comes back the plates are suspended & have been for a while.

Long story short, cop could have towed the truck & ticketed hubby for driving with suspended plates. He said if hubby took care of it today he wouldn't tow the truck.
Because I live at the same address, law says if I have access to the truck, the plates have to be pulled & new "DUI" plates need to be on the truck for 1 yr!! So today I have to get B-I-L to help me go buy new plates, fill out all info, pay more $ & my husband & family get to drive around wearing "the badge of shame" plates.

I feel rotten, I didn't know they could do that.
This should really be a reminder of why I need to live sober!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sucks but I am glad that they are still being supportive of you. I always say that our family is happier when we are happy. They will see improvements that you make to your life and theirs as you continue to stay sober and it will make up for negative things that you put them through because of drinking. Just hang in there and dont pick up!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Thanks for sharing. My heart goes out to you. Thanks for the lesson on US laws also. Is this a state thing or is it true for all over the U.S. That seems a bit harsh although I can understand the logic behind it. I doubt they could do that in Canada as it would likely be challenged under the charter of rights. You have to leave the past in the past and go on from here. I had a DUI in 1986 got sober for 4 months but unfortunately went back to drinking due to peer pressure(excuse???) Don't make the same mistake as I did and go back to the drink or in 20 years you will be where I am, struggling to make it sober for one month.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Thanks for sharing. My heart goes out to you. Thanks for the lesson on US laws also. Is this a state thing or is it true for all over the U.S. That seems a bit harsh although I can understand the logic behind it. I doubt they could do that in Canada as it would likely be challenged under the charter of rights. You have to leave the past in the past and go on from here. I had a DUI in 1986 got sober for 4 months but unfortunately went back to drinking due to peer pressure(excuse???) Don't make the same mistake as I did and go back to the drink or in 20 years you will be where I am, struggling to make it sober for one month.
Its MN, I have heard from my county PD that not only is MN the worst state to get a DUI in, but the county I got it in has the harshest penalties, fines, required MADD class, required 2 days in jail for alcohol assesment.

Trust me I will never even have a glass of wine & drive hours later. This is why just living a sober life would be much better.

(And on a side note I was told I will NEVER be able to go to Canada again because MN does not allow you to cross the boarder if you have had even one)
Old 01-24-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

(And on a side note I was told I will NEVER be able to go to Canada again because MN does not allow you to cross the boarder if you have had even one)

Am I reading this right?
Does this mean you will never be able to leave Minnesota? Or does it mean you will never be able to leave the U.S.? Or does it mean something else?
Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post

Am I reading this right?
Does this mean you will never be able to leave Minnesota? Or does it mean you will never be able to leave the U.S.? Or does it mean something else?
No I can't go to Canada. They are the only country that has this law.
I can go any where else.

My Brother in law got 2 DUI 1 at 18, 1 at 28. He was going to go to the annual Canada fishing trip & found out he would not be able to cross the boarder. There is even something on the back of your license after you get one. So the whole world knows after!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I believe there is a 5 year statute of limitations on the DUI/entering Canada thing. I have a friend that happened to, and right before he was going to be allowed back in the country he got ANOTHER DUI.

He found out there was an appeal process he could go through... a bunch of paperwork and pleas and stuff that he could do, requesting to be allowed into Canada anyway. They had a hearing and he was denied, so who knows when HE will be allowed back in.

Also I will say that he found out that which border crossing he went to determined whether or not he was let in. Not every border crossing checked his record in the system, so occasionally they'd let him into Canada (he lives in WA state and could cross in a few different places). But if they ever DID check, they would turn him away. And like I said, he was GOING to be let in after 5 years... he just screwed up and did it again. It's a Canadian thing, not a US thing, so you have to run any appeals through Canada.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Wow I am from Canada and I had never heard of that before. I was going to make a little joke here but I don't want to insult anybody so I won't. Anyways you aren't missing much right now it is freezing here.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Tell me about it! I was in Niagara Falls & St. Catharine's right at New Year's and I have never been so freaking cold in all my life. I got some pretty pictures, though.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well its warmed up to 1 degree this afternoon!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

As far as I know, it works the other way too.

I'm from Canada, and if someone here is convicted of a DUI, they cannot cross the border into the US.