SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   11 months - It can be done (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/167480-11-months-can-done.html)

Toomutch 01-24-2009 10:52 AM

11 months - It can be done

Today marks 11 months for me.

This thread is mainly for the newcomers, who are very new to sobriety.

11 months ago today I was broken, scared, empty and lost. The early days following were he!!. There were triggers everywhere I went, mostly in my own home where I would pour glass after glass of wine each evening. I thought this was normal behavior while I was sitting there with a glass of wine on my bedside table each night.

Giving up alcohol was difficult to say the least; I revolved everything around alcohol. I didn't believe I could quit, what would I do to occupy my time.

I stayed in each day, trying not to look forward or back, because the shame of the past would haunt me if, and the fear of the future scared the he!! out of me.

There has been alot of turmoil in my life since I stopped drinking, many a time I wanted to throw in the towel and escape, I never allowed that to happen. I began to feel again, which was good and bad, but mostly good.

I began to come out of the darkness, which was all I knew. I started seeing the light, the birds, the flowers. This may sound silly, but it was like being born again, like a child sees things.

I have fought hard and will continue to fight each and every day because letting my gaurd down could have devistating results.

Sorry about the ramble - I could go on and on.

Bottom line - Giving up the alcohol was the best thing that has ever happend to me. The drink does not control me anymore. I am free.

It has not been easy - but it has been so worth it. I am me again. I have a life.

I have the Lord and my SR family to thank for my successes.

If this post helps anybody stay sober for one more day, I have accomplished my goal.

Just wanted to share - thanks for listening.

TryingSoHard 01-24-2009 10:55 AM

A very heartfelt congratulations to you. :Val004:

I know you've certainly had a lot on your plate the past few months, but you seem to be holding up well. And you've learned how to manage life and deal with all of these things that are out of your control without returning to drinking, and that is wonderful!!

Treat yourself to something special today. You deserve it!!!!

Fubarcdn 01-24-2009 10:57 AM

Congrats. You should be proud of yourself for what you have done:You_Rock_

RobbyRobot 01-24-2009 11:00 AM

Ya!!

:You_Rock_

grateful2b 01-24-2009 11:03 AM

Toomutch...Congratulations on 11 months!!
echoing tsh, you have had so many challenges this past year ....you are such an inspiration and your recovery is shining so bright,...... now where are my sunglasses...

:c005:

CAPTAINZING2000 01-24-2009 11:12 AM

grats to you

Hope, it keeps getting better for you

readyforhelp 01-24-2009 11:14 AM

:Val004: Toomutch! :c011:

ToABetterMe 01-24-2009 11:17 AM

:ghug3
That was great! Thank you for sharing. Thankyou because I am just begining my journey and found hope in this!

~Jules

allport 01-24-2009 11:20 AM

That is amazing Too Much, i have read some of your posts and can see you have had more than your fair share of challenges.

For you to remain so positive (and sober of course) is a wonderful example to us all.

Like someone said earlier treat yourself, you deserve it.

:c029:

Toomutch 01-24-2009 11:22 AM

I wish my thanks button would work - thank you to everyone who reads this thread.

ToAbetterMe - I am happy that this helped you, that is the purpose of this thread. :)

IO Storm 01-24-2009 11:22 AM

If this post helps anybody stay sober for one more day, I have accomplished my goal.
Congrats on 11 months, TM!!!!

:c011:

Your selflessness and reaching out to newcomers has been noted.

You have consistently practiced a principle that has helped so many to

stay sober.

"To keep it, we give it away."

Keep up the excellent work..keep doing what you are doing.

Keep moving forward..

Moving forward with you,

Sher :Val004:

adore79 01-24-2009 11:33 AM

Thanks Suzette and congrats :ghug3

stone 01-24-2009 11:37 AM

Congrats hun! :)

:ny9

shaun00 01-24-2009 11:46 AM

:ValA006:......You truly are an inspiration to the new comer

And congratulations on your freedom...

God be with you.....and your loved ones that have supported you...

..............trucker...

Toomutch 01-24-2009 11:48 AM

All of these posts I have recieved have made me feel special. :)

Aysha 01-24-2009 12:19 PM

You are a perfect example of courage and strength Suzette. The things that you have gone through. And yet you are still in the fight. And also never fail to give tons of support amist all that you are going through yourself. Proving anything is possible. You keep doing your thing. I am so happy for you. AND PROUD!!!

chump 01-24-2009 12:34 PM

this has helped me. thankyou

Toomutch 01-24-2009 12:37 PM

:ghug3

LaDita 01-24-2009 12:37 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this. Big hugs!

coffeenut 01-24-2009 07:40 PM

Thank you for sharing this. 11 months is Huge, and I really do think it helps newcomers to see there IS hope. You are a shining example.