Notices

Bad dream

Old 01-23-2009, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I believe I can do this

Bad dream

Last night I put myself in a risky environment for me . . . the restaurant. I used to love eating out and having drinks with dinner. Unfortunately, drinks with dinner inevitably ended up as drinks at home, and feelig awful in the morning. As soon as I ordered my food, the urges started. Man, they sucked. I made it through without drinking by trying to focus on how awful I would feel in the morning. Whew! The dinner was great and I went home to go to sleep.

In my dream last night I ended up having drinks with dinner and then went out afterwards. My family was in my dream and they were extremely disappointed in me. I was disappointed in me too. When the alarm went off this morning I THOUGHT my dream was reality and I felt a moment of guilt, anger, and regret. I even yelled out "Dammit!!!" Then I realized my head wasn't pounding, I wasn't nauseous, and my skin didn't hurt. It was such a huge relief. I was so grateful that I cried. What a bad dream!!! Thank God it was only a dream.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The Legend returns!

Well done for making it through without drinking!

How long have you been sober?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Even weirder dreams my come your way my friend. Sometimes I wake up and I think for a second about if I drank the night before. Today is day 8 for me. So, it's like
. This shouldn't be happening. But like you, I feel good and thankful that I made it through another day without drinking any bottled outhouse juice. Your doing well! Keep it up, friend.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WAY TO GO!!! You faced your trigger (going out to dinner) and you survived without alcohol!!! Next time you go out to dinner, think about that NIGHTMARE! It will give you strength to survive again!!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel you dude, cept I had a good dream last night, I was making out with Angelina Jolie. But anyways, I know how you feel. I had a panini sammich for lunch yesterday and really, really wanted a beer. Being only my third day sober, I took that opportunity to dump out the beers I had in the fridge.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wait till you really get into ur recovery and
your dreams are of recovery too.

Hi im Sharon and im an alcoholic.

By the Grace of my HP and people
like you here in this fellowship, I
havent found it necessary to pick
up a drink of alcohol since 8-11-90.

For that and you I am truely grateful.

Because i wanted to be sober more
than anything so i wouldnt be
sent away to a halfway house away
my family, I stayed close to my AA
program.

My family intervened and sent me to
rehab where i stayed for 28 day
recieving the tools and knowledge
of my disease of Alcoholism.

I was told i wouldnt stay sober and
would have to go to a halfway
house. 28 days was LONG enough
away from my family as asked if
there was anything else i could do
to stay close. Upon suggestion i
attended a 6 week outpatiant
aftercare program.

I went to meeting after meeting
listening and absorbing all i could
and hanging on to the coattails
of all those sober before me.

Because i had the willingness to
do whatever it took to stay sober,
the desire to drink was lifted almost
emmediately.

Over the yrs i have practiced,
lived and breathed the AA way of life
in all my affairs that my emmediate
thinking goes to AA.

When i dream at night and can remember
what i dreamt of....usually i was confronted
with an drinking situation and low and
behold my program steps in and i say no
to alcohol or i explain that im in AA.

It never fails that when that happens i
know instantly that AA is working in
my life.

It takes practice practice practice
the principles of our program ....
the 12 steps in our everyday life.

In all my 18 yrs sober i may have
had a drinking dream at the beginning
but over all my dreams have included
recovery.

And thats the way it has worked for me.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

OMG I have dreams like that too! I wake up all confused going wait did I drink or not? Like you I feel o.k. and go "oh thank goodness" because I know the rest of my day will be o.k. too because there will be no hangover and no guilt.

I have also had weird dreams of stashing bottles and people I know being near their hiding place (under a table or in a closet) and I would feel all panicky that I would be busted. Again, I wake up and am grateful that my subconscience is just dealing with all of my garbage from years of secretive drinking.

Whew, glad we're here :ghug
Old 01-23-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Way to go Strange. I am going to the restaurant tomorrow so I hope I can be as strong as you. I am sure I can with all the help I have received here.

I had a strange dream last night too. It is kind of a recurring dream where I get drunk, get lost in the streets and get beat up and mugged. I have had it 100 times. Anyways last night I dreamt I was at a resort sober and got on a wrong bus, got lost , and got beat up even though I was sober. Don't know what it means but it hurt more

Originally Posted by Strangef8 View Post
I feel you dude, except I had a good dream last night, I was making out with Angelina Jolie. But anyways, I know how you feel. I had a panini sammich for lunch yesterday and really, really wanted a beer. Being only my third day sober, I took that opportunity to dump out the beers I had in the fridge.
Good for you. That must be hard pouring out beer.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

holy cow that you are posting this! I had a dream last night too that I drank. And it was the first one since I quit. Weird!
Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Welcome FreeinMilwaukee
congratulations on your sobriety
Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Way to go Strange. I am going to the restaurant tomorrow so I hope I can be as strong as you. I am sure I can with all the help I have received here.

I had a strange dream last night too. It is kind of a recurring dream where I get drunk, get lost in the streets and get beat up and mugged. I have had it 100 times. Anyways last night I dreamt I was at a resort sober and got on a wrong bus, got lost , and got beat up even though I was sober. Don't know what it means but it hurt more

Good for you. That must be hard pouring out beer.
The pouring was easy. The hard part was not going out and buying more.

Went to dinner with the wife and made it through that. On a Friday night, no less.

I'm sorry, but when I read about the new version of your old dream, I LOL'd. I don't know what it means, but maybe it signifies that something is different this time in your attitude about quitting. Just a small change, but a change nevertheless.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Resident

It is good that you laughed. I was trying to be funny. I told my wife about it this morning and she says it is because I am too stupid to be going out on my own. Although I have never been beat up or robbed in real life she is probably right.

Keeping buying and then pouring it out is perfectly OK if it helps you quit and yes I own shares in most of the breweries. I follow Warren Bufffet, my namesake)'s advice and invest in what I know and I know beer.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mergirl

I think I like your wife fubar

At least half of my nights sober I have dreamt, and they have all been nightmares. None of them have been about drinking. Can't wait to be free of those
Old 01-24-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeinMilwaukee View Post
Last night I put myself in a risky environment for me . . . the restaurant. I used to love eating out and having drinks with dinner. Unfortunately, drinks with dinner inevitably ended up as drinks at home, and feelig awful in the morning. As soon as I ordered my food, the urges started. Man, they sucked. I made it through without drinking by trying to focus on how awful I would feel in the morning. Whew! The dinner was great and I went home to go to sleep.

In my dream last night I ended up having drinks with dinner and then went out afterwards. My family was in my dream and they were extremely disappointed in me. I was disappointed in me too. When the alarm went off this morning I THOUGHT my dream was reality and I felt a moment of guilt, anger, and regret. I even yelled out "Dammit!!!" Then I realized my head wasn't pounding, I wasn't nauseous, and my skin didn't hurt. It was such a huge relief. I was so grateful that I cried. What a bad dream!!! Thank God it was only a dream.
Thank God it was! Good for you for having the strength to stay sober.

I have to admit I have dreamt about drinking in my dreams for yrs!
Old 01-24-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on experiencing your situations successfully. I have had drinking/using dreams in the past. Some I call "white chip" dreams because I used/drank in them. What a relief "it was just a dream". Jung felt dreams was the way our unconscious mind communicated with the conscious mind. I like to look at these dreams as reminders of what life was, and could be again if I don't stick with my program of recovery. Just a thought about going out to eat, the old saying is "if you hang around the barber shop long enough, you're gonna get a haircut". Hang in there, and regardless of what happens, don't give up. There are a lot of people here taking you into their hearts........ :ghug
Old 01-25-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I believe I can do this

Thanks for the support everyone. I had another dream last night that was quite different from my "white chip" one. I was a kid again and so were my brothers and sisters. We were out playing with friends in the yard and there was no alcohol involved. You know what? It was fun! I woke up sober again and am having a cup of delicious coffee and starting the day off right. If I could have looked into the future when I was a kid, this is the type of morning that I would have wanted for myself. Now that I'm here, this is definitely the type of morning I want too. It's time for life to be fun again.

It's day 26. I still believe I can do this.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hey everyone,
I can relate. I always have dreams about drinking and hiding it from my husband and everyone else. Maybe I is because I have done it so much in the past. I hope they stop soon.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I once had a friend tell me that dreams are usually about:

what has happened

what we want to happen

what we're scared of happening

I dunno where the heck that came from, but I've found it usually to be true... other than some really crazy funky dreams that never fall into those categories.

I dream frequently about drinking again, hiding it again, etc.. I think it's just what our brain has to do for now (hopefully not forever). It's horrible to experience but man.. when I wake up and realize I'm sober and it was a dream, I feel AMAZING. Maybe a little reminder about where I was, and where I could be again in a flash.

My "drinking" dreams actually took on a WHOLE new level last night. I dreamed that I started using heroin. I have never used heroin, I don't know anyone that has (that I know of that is). I was all &%^$ed up, and kept injecting more, thinking I was still ok.. and more.. then argh.. that's enough talking about that. It scared me to death... actually now that I think about it, I think I dreamed that because of the horror I felt watching the last episode of Sober House.. had a lot to do with a heroin relapse. Maybe that and a combo of how often I have to handle syringes (diabetic doggie). Was I relieved when I woke up sober!!!!!.. good grief, our minds are weird!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I believe I can do this

I saw that episode of sober house! That was awful. I've never used heroin either, but watching that guy try to pull off being sober reminded me of when I was three sheets to the wind and tried to act normal. All those times I thought I was holding my liquor pretty well. I wonder what I really looked like to other people? Especially after I stopped being semi-lucid and went off into a blackout. It's embarrassing to think about. I'm glad those days are over. Day 27 for me today.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I take it the restaurant excursion went ok then?