Notices

weird question

Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

weird question

So, is it hard for anyone else that is new or just recently sober to post here? I am finding that posting about not drinking and reading about not drinking is making me want to drink more. However, coming here has also been what has kept me sober tonight. I hope I did not come across as ungrateful, but that is not my intentions...forgive me if I have.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

No worries, Seemethrough, not at all...just make yourself at home...take what you need and leave the rest
Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not uncommon.

It's really natural, especially in early recovery, to think of drinking when you're feeling scared or overwhelmed or anxious - all of the times you're likely to come to SR...

as you're finding, they're just thoughts and feelings - we don't have to act on them

D
Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In regards to starting a thread I have a problem because I never have anything I really need to share.

Posting for me is very easy. I have made some friends and I have PM discussions with them. I think it may be easier for you if you find someone who you "click" with. That will take time but you'll have a hard time finding someone if you don't post.

Do you consider yourself an alcoholic? There are lots of us here who can help you with that. Just keep posting and reading. It'll get easier over time. Come back every day if you can. It will keep you from drinking if you are consistent. I haven't had a drink in just seven days and it is because I post and read and post and read. I know I'd be drinking again tonight if it weren't for some of the special people who have become my friends on SR.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Do you consider yourself an alcoholic?
Well, it's not so much a consideration as it is a fact
Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

I find the exact opposite Seeme. Coming here and posting and reading makes me want to not drink.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not a weird question at all. Sometimes I get feeling restless, or sometimes, bummed out if I read a lot of posts. Most of the time, though, I find it does not trigger me, even less often lately.

Keep coming back, get to know this place. Better to get triggered here than if your out and about. You can lean on us here to get you through those urges.

Mark
Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, as long as you are just thinking about it and not drinking, then being here must be a good thing, right?

For me, I am just so grateful for being here in the past few days and the support I've received. I would be bouncing off the walls otherwise, I think.

Yes, I am not thrilled to have to be so focused on not drinking, but it beats drinking and then what goes along with drinking. Besides, if I am honest, my whole life has been focused on drinking, so it's ok for me to spend some time thinking about not drinking. If that makes any sense.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I was the same way when I first joined here... I didn't want to post, but I read, read, read, read, read until my eyes crossed! Reading how other people were feeling, and coping with those feelings, and staying sober through it all helped me more than I could ever say. And it was SUCH a huge relief to know I was no longer alone.

I posted occasionally, but for a long time it was usually only in response to someone else's comments. I felt selfish, needy, and embarrassed for a while and didn't want to post for myself.

LOL - that's over now! I'm a posting mad-woman!

Hang in there, and by all means, keep coming back. Please feel free to post whenever you feel comfortable doing so. You never know when something you say will be exactly what someone else needs to hear!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I know what you mean. I just posted the same thing in one of my threads about obsessing about recovery as much as using.
Its like talking about it whether it be about not using or whatever. It still keeps it fresh in your mind.
But seems like being here and talking about it is helping you stay sober.
What you want to do and what you actually do are two very different things.
Just dont act on it.
For me I just want to be able to live without having to be aware of my addiction so much. But being aware is what is keeping me clean.
Have you checked out cafe central?
Its on the bottom of the main forum page. Its just a bunch of non recovery realted things. You can hang out with us here and talk about other things besides recovery.
Hang in there. It will get easier. I always thought that line was a bunch of BS. But it isnt.
Hang in there.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi Seemethrough!....

You certainly didn't come across ungrateful to me, just matter-of-fact. I felt that way in the past (December) when I was posting here, and wouldn't acknowlege it to any of you because I felt you all would see me as ungrateful and be downgraded. I think there are many who have had this forum trigger that craving from time to time. Probably just part of the process and somewhat natural since we are in early recovery!!!...

"This too shall pass" is my greatest comfort saying right now. This forum is helping to save my life and many others I'm sure... We can have the cravings, just not act on them or else....................... get drunk and hate ourselves once again! Sick and tired of being sick and tired -- for sure!

So glad you are here (and at the other site we go to too!)!!!!

Hugs, friend!!!:ghug3