Notices

Binge Drinking Help

Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

AAHHH binge drinking. Many of us fall into that category. No loss of car, home, job or family. Well hon there is an old saying:

"If you go to a barber shop enough times, you are bound to get a haircut."
Old 01-23-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can only tell you what I was like.

At first like you it was occassional blackouts when out with friends, they thought it was funny, so did I at first.

I was functional for a while but it didnt take long before the times between the binges became shorter and soon the periods in which I wasn't drinking was recovery time rather than sober time.

You cant drink when you keep throwing up lol although i tried.

Ive tried everyway to give up, moderation, having someone with me whenever I drank to put the brakes on (i lost some friends through that).

Ive had some significant periods of sobriety, eighteen months being the longest, and Ive always come back to this idea that I can have a binge and pick up where I left off.

Last time this cost me two years of my life.

Im back now and I realise (finally) that even if a binge doesn't lead to a long period of drinking it only makes me feel worthless, ive had enough of that feeling.

I may be lonely and miserable at the moment (and I am sometimes) but I refuse to help myself self destruct any more.

Hope things work out for you and there are worse things to be called than an alcoholic.

Wow that was a ramble, hope it makes sense.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Manon,

As you can see there are many like you as well as other levels. I was a binge drinker also but I progressed to the morning but only on weekends:wtf2 I did not drink during the week until one Monday morning I had to drive 90 miles to get to work after drinking all weekend and needed the drink to do it. So I think if I continued in that slippery slope I would have progressed even further.

I think there are many more alcoholics out there that are just happy doing what they are doing. Most don't progress to everyday drinking unless they stop functioning. Then it is a very fast steep slope. I think some of us get help where others don't. The sterotypical alcoholic is a very small percentage and I'm sure the stereotypical alcoholic does not have a computer lol.

You have come to the right place and you will find alot of information that you can relate to.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This describes me to a T, but I still don't know what the discrepancy between a 'binge drinker' is to an 'alcoholic'. I consider myself both, I guess. I went from black-out drinking every other day, to black-out drinking 9 out of ten times that I drank. The frequency of my drinking changed over time, but the outcome stayed the same.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great post, my situation is a little different but I still have the same questions...

I'm pretty much a happy-hour/bar only binger. I've been drunk 6.5 days out of the week for the last 4-5 years, but only (a) at a bar and (b) late afternoon to early evening. The vast majority of my drinking takes place over 2-3 hours, and it's a hell of a lot, but then shuts down by 7PM or so when I'd go home. I wouldn't drink at all at home, and by going to bed at midnight I'd have sobered up to some degree, all of which led me to believe "I don't have a problem because I don't pass out, don't black out, and don't drink at home". The fact that I'd gained 25 pounds, was short-tempered and surly even when sober, had non-cruelly abandoned my wife, and was doing absolutely nothing with my life except drinking and working didn't factor into the thought process.

Like someone posted above, I think the key is that if you feel like your drinking is a problem, then it is a problem. I'd love to think that once I clean myself up that I can go to being the guy who has 2 drinks 3 days per week, and that's it, but right now I know that my first trip back to a bar would result in my typical 6 beer/3 shot lightning round, so I'm not going to find out any time soon.

Everyone's situation is different, but I've found after my brief time on this board that there are a lot of commonalities also. I'd love to give more advice outside of this, but I'm just starting Day 4, so you're way ahead of me...keep up the good work...
Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by manonlescault View Post
I want to find others who are like me. When I go to AA meetings and the like, I hear all the stories about losing jobs, families, drinking excessively everyday...but I hardly ever hear about people like me. People who drink on occasion but when they do, can black out, drive cars, go home with dangerous strangers. People who can go a month without drinking. People who can sometimes just have one or two, but always end up drinking too much at another time. I feel like in the outside world people don't consider that an alcoholic, but I know I am.
I think you're underestimating how many of us completely relate to what you're drinking is like! Even in the rooms of AA, there are many who have gone down your road, many who have progressed in their disease to the point of losing everything.... They say "Look for the similarities, not the differences" in the rooms of AA. Everyone's story is a bit different, naturally. The commonality that all of us share is ALCOHOL has affected our lives in hurtful, harmful ways and that we can't control our drinking after that 1st drink, eventually. It may be one day where we could have "just 1 or 2", but inevitably, the drink will kick our a** and have a power over us that we cannot control. Whether or not a person is a "problemed drinker" or a full blown 24/7 around the clock drinker, it doesn't matter! The problem is alcohol, the solution is sobriety TOGETHER! Just my thoughts on this!

Hugs, Nicki:ghug3
Old 01-25-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm with ya

I too am a binger and weekend drinker that can't say no. The blackouts and hangovers are frightening. I'm working on day #1 right now. Friday night was a binger at home and Saturday was the hangover. Today is the guilt and shame. It's comforting to know I'm not alone with my struggles with the beast. I'm finally ready to ask for help. Glad Im finally there (here).
Old 01-25-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
Today is the guilt and shame. It's comforting to know I'm not alone with my struggles with the beast. I'm finally ready to ask for help. Glad Im finally there (here).
Wintermute & SR,

Glad you're here, Wintermute! I hate the agony of guilt and shame!!! It's always sooo horrendous when first quitting, at least for me! Thank God we are not alone with our struggles, emotions & feelings with the BEAST!!! There is a solution, and it's just NOT drinking! It's reaching out to one another for support and strength, and when we have some ourselves -- giving it back! That, to me, is how we're going to make sobriety happen and be real in our lives! It's comforting to know it's not just on my shoulders and on my own strength to stay sober. It's all about support from eachother!

Glad you're finally here too! Need ya!:ghug2
Old 01-25-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Think of the next morning's clear head; the thoroughly enjoyed cup of tea, not the dreary hangover quenching.
Think of the clear mind, untroubled by guilt and forgetfulness.
Think of a body that neither rebels nor smells.
In the evening, when the desire is nearly overwhelming, do the maths - eight hours of drinking, the next day lost to sweat, nausea and bile.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome wintermute I am glad you found this place as I am glad I found this place. There is a lot of help for us binge drinkers here.