Notices

People, Places and Things

Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

People, Places and Things

Throughout my attempts to stay sober, there have been a lot of ways I've been sabotaging my recovery by going back to certain people, places and things that are triggers for me. One of those places is an entire neighborhood in town that has been a big part of my life, for better or worse, ever since I was born. I lived in the area for a long time, and I have a TON of memories there both good and bad (but it doesn't seem to have any affect on me like another part of town does, which terrifies me due to some horrific memories).

I try to get out of my own neighborhood as much as possible (because I hate it) and the 'north end' is really the only other place to go as there's so good stuff much to do there. There is alot of good places to shop, eat and has some really great parks. It's also where one of my relatives live so I stop by there to say hi. Unfortunately, it's also where the old hang-out is.
In fact, it sits right in the middle I can't go through the area at all without passing it, or at the very least, running into one of the regulars from there.
I wish I could just be able to go there and not be affected when I see the place, and even the many times I have passed it and didn't have any temptation to go inside, the temptation to drink was always there in some form or another. Or a feeling of sadness that I was missing out on my old friends.

I think it has been long over-due to say goodbye to the old 'hood, but it's difficult, because in alot of ways, it seems darn near impossible; I can't imagine only spending time in my -gasp- own neighborhood or it's immediate surrounding area's where I feel alot of stress.

Today I realized that I really need to start over, I mean by really cutting out some major elements from my drinking-life, especially going to that neighborhood.

Has anyone else had to say goodbye to a particular place in town they were fond of in order to stay sober?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

It is really tough for me because my favorite watering hole, along with the characters that frequent it are in the same building as my apartment. I didn't even have to put a coat on to drink. Just down in the elevator, through the mall, and into the bar. To get to the gym I have to go through the mall. I guess I will just have to deal with it. So far I haven't had the urge to go in but if I do I know I will have to gather my strength and resist.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Liverpool 19

Thats what got me in trouble on Jan 1 passing one of my old haunts ,stay away from your old hood untill you are much stronger.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that early sobriety requires examining the parts of your life that are likely triggers.

For me, it was being home alone when my husband travelled. It was a huge trigger for me. I had to make sure I had something specific planned for those nights or I would be in trouble.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

happy to see your taking a look at this ladi...

Has anyone else had to say goodbye to a particular place in town they were fond of in order to stay sober
yep, i fought it at first, then as i was getting better, a new outlook began, i found i was starting to have nothing really in common with most of the people...

it was all just a illusion...

and the people i had to be around, i didnt avoid them, i didnt pay attention to them, or even certain places, and things also...

i found, i had new business to attend to...

like a new begining towards live...

good wishes ladi
Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

There is an entire city (pop. 140.000) that I am pretty much trying to avoid at all costs.

Ambulances used to park around the downtown area on weekend nights because there was so much drinking taking place that it was more effective for them to just wait near the bars for the inevitable alcohol poisoning calls.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, since I turned into a solitary drinker, my house I guess and the Safeway down the street.

I do think that you might have to avoid those places for a bit - it doesn't have to be forever.