Notices

Day Seven

Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
huh?

Day Seven

Originally Posted by jules67 View Post
I would find it difficult to go to soccer games , grocery store if I thought people were gossiping about me. I kept mydrinking a secret, no one would have a clue that I drank. I have always tried to present myself as being "together" I think that s why I like the honesty of admitting that I am an alcoholic and I have some things to change and work out. I am human I do make mistakes. I just am not sure how I will handle shame and gossip.

I think i am going to have to surrender that to God, I can't carry that and try to focus on recovery. I will have to let it go. any advice for me on how to do that?jules 67
Hey, today is my day 7 as well! I feel great, and want to keep this sobriety ride going.

I understand it's important for a woman to maintain her outward appearances, but isn't it all just a cover-up if there is no honesty behind it?

There is a difference between shame and gossip. Shame is a feeling that you impose upon yourself, and there is absolutely no reason to subject yourself to it. If you just killed somebody, maybe, but not because you have a problem with drinking.

Gossip on the other hand, is imposed by petty minded little people who have no real lives (or personal change) of their own and don't have enough to keep themselves busy other than digging through other's "dirty laundry."

Why waste your energy or resources on any of this? It will just leave you drained and neurotic, and take away from the pride you should be feeling because you are changing the core of your very existence in order to SURVIVE.

Keep this in mind, the vast majority of our fellow human race are basically sheep and would hardly be able to face the immense changes that us alky's must go through to sober up and stay quit.

Remember, we used to joke about them that they can't handle alcohol like we could either. "Reality is for those that can't handle [DOC]."

Well, now I can't handle the drink like I used to so it's time to try reality. And it really ain't bad.

If your question was how to turn it over to your higher power, I can't really answer that. That's why I failed at AA. I was convinced I was powerless, and God didn't seem to answer my prayer and relieve my alcoholism. Maybe His plan is for me to drink myself to death, who knows?

In the end, I had to learn that I do have the power and the will not only to stop drinking but also power over my thoughts. When I have power over my thoughts, I can also control my emotions (knock on wood), and my relationships with people are actually improving.

Maybe what's helping me is that I used to be a real hothead, and I learned to control the anger before I learned how to stop drinking...

Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited by gemeritus; 01-22-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

We moved your post to a thread of its own, so you could get a proper welcome.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome gemeritus. We are here to listen and add our 2 cents worth on occasion. This is a great place to get support and just chat and share. Very few members have a hidden agenda.
I hope I don't say anything to upset you. I wouldn't want to get your temper going.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
huh?

Wow, this is cool. Thanks for the hospitality!

Let me know what hidden agenda I should be watching for from the very few, Fubar LOL
Old 01-22-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post gemeritus. I just wanted to say congrats on your day 7!! It's so great to hear that you are feeling amazing. Keep it going and keep us posted on your recovery.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Welcome to SR, Gemeritus..
Glad you found us..from one Scot to another
Old 01-22-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
huh?

Thanks for the kind words, looking forward to getting to know you all better.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats On Day 7

Congratulaions on seven days of sobriety. I'm new to the Sober Recovery site, and I have a question Not knowing you do you relapse a lot? I'm only asking this question because it appears that you have been here before. What I mean by that is I get the feeling that you relapse then become sober, relapse and get sober Am I misinterpreting you? I was that way for a very long time yntil I seeked professional help and spent a year in a sober living environment. February1,2009 will be my three year anniversary. Best of luck to you.
Originally Posted by gemeritus View Post
Hey, today is my day 7 as well! I feel great, and want to keep this sobriety ride going.

I understand it's important for a woman to maintain her outward appearances, but isn't it all just a cover-up if there is no honesty behind it?

There is a difference between shame and gossip. Shame is a feeling that you impose upon yourself, and there is absolutely no reason to subject yourself to it. If you just killed somebody, maybe, but not because you have a problem with drinking.

Gossip on the other hand, is imposed by petty minded little people who have no real lives (or personal change) of their own and don't have enough to keep themselves busy other than digging through other's "dirty laundry."

Why waste your energy or resources on any of this? It will just leave you drained and neurotic, and take away from the pride you should be feeling because you are changing the core of your very existence in order to SURVIVE.

Keep this in mind, the vast majority of our fellow human race are basically sheep and would hardly be able to face the immense changes that us alky's must go through to sober up and stay quit.

Remember, we used to joke about them that they can't handle alcohol like we could either. "Reality is for those that can't handle [DOC]."

Well, now I can't handle the drink like I used to so it's time to try reality. And it really ain't bad.

If your question was how to turn it over to your higher power, I can't really answer that. That's why I failed at AA. I was convinced I was powerless, and God didn't seem to answer my prayer and relieve my alcoholism. Maybe His plan is for me to drink myself to death, who knows?

In the end, I had to learn that I do have the power and the will not only to stop drinking but also power over my thoughts. When I have power over my thoughts, I can also control my emotions (knock on wood), and my relationships with people are actually improving.

Maybe what's helping me is that I used to be a real hothead, and I learned to control the anger before I learned how to stop drinking...

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
huh?

Originally Posted by 1dayatatime1 View Post
Congratulaions on seven days of sobriety. I'm new to the Sober Recovery site, and I have a question Not knowing you do you relapse a lot? I'm only asking this question because it appears that you have been here before. What I mean by that is I get the feeling that you relapse then become sober, relapse and get sober Am I misinterpreting you? I was that way for a very long time yntil I seeked professional help and spent a year in a sober living environment. February1,2009 will be my three year anniversary. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your support 1dayatatime1!

To directly answer your questions, the last recovery forum I participated in was in 2001. Don't think it was this one.

I've relapsed twice. January 14, 2009 (did that one sooo right), and after they let me out of jail for my last DUI in 2004. Other than that, I've been consistently drinking every chance I could. Haven't drank any alcohol since 1/14.

Let me ask you this. Since you are new here, how would it appear that I've been here before? And how are you representing me by guessing my past substance use?

And when you say you were "that way", exactly which "way" is that? Are you saying you were like me, a little crazy, fun-loving, and able to speak your mind clearly?

And you think it was based on these traits that you needed professional help and be placed in a "sober living environment?" Exactly what kind of institution provided you with that kind of environment?

Are you in fact suggesting that I get professional help and seek asylum? How did that work for you?

And how is it that, we who support you in this forum, may further assist you in your recovery? Did you find this release helpful?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Gemeritus! Glad you are here! What a killer post too! Thank you!

Hugs!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

P.S. ... G,

I have 7 days with you, friend! WooooHoooo! We are in this together... all of us!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Gemeritus.....Good to know your feling great

Welcome tto our recovery community
Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Sorry If I Offended You

Gemeritus, I apologize if I in any way offended you it was not my intension. I am a new and will introduce myself after I respond to your email. I'll do my best to answer you in the order in which you had questions regarding my comments.

If I understand your first comment. You have been consistently drinking since you're DUI in 2004 every chance you get. So does this mean that since 2004, you've been drinking on an off? If so, that's what I would classified as a habitual relapser and that's what I was until I seeked medical help.

Regarding my comment of being "That Way" I was the life of the party when I had been drinking. That however got old fairly quickly. I lost friends, familly and soon my dignity, until I realized that my life had become unmanagable and out of control.

Realizing that I was out of control and that the next thing I was going to loose my wife, and next my high paying job, and not neccessarily in that order, I attempted to "Stop" on my own. While having dinner that same evening, something happened. I woke up in the hospital emergence ward. You see, I had a seisure in my attempt to stop drinking on my own. My wife was crying next to me. She had indicated that I had a seisure and that I was in the hospital. I stayed in the hospital for several days. Seeing the love of my life crying and asking why amd I doing this and that I was killing her as well, was like someone hitting over the head with a hammer. I think it was my higher power.

As for my sober living environment. I was willing to spend whatever it would take to receive help with my addiction. I would travel to opposite ends of the US and Canada if neccessary to work towards sobriety. I new that If I didn't seek this help, there were only two opptions left for me jail/prison or death.

The "Sober House" that I lived in for a year was recommended by my psychiatrist and my psychhologist. Basically the rules were as follows. one lives in the house.Everyone is in bed by 10:30pm and rises at 7:00am. eavery morning at 8:00am there is a house meeting and then again at 7:00pm. You are responsible for your own food, keeping your room cleaning, being certain that you bed is made each day, washing your own clothes and bed linens, and sharing housekeeping responsibilities with the other "Guests" There are no overnights for the first 8 months, and the recommended time one should soend in the program is 18 months, I left in a year and have been sober now for 3 years. The bottom line is that it added structure to my life, I will admit that I ws insane to think that doing the same thing over and over again was going to change things eventually.

Am I saying that you should seek professional help? "YES" am I saying that you need to seek asylum? "NO" it worked for me however, but one should consult with their medical professional. I hope that I have answered all of your questons, but if you should have any others, I would be more than happy to try and answer them.

As you can tell I am long winded. Just observing some of the posts, I think not only can I recieve some additional ideas to stimulate the thinking but that I can be of assistance to many currently going through what I had gone through. Hope that this cleared some things up for you. Hang in there.
Thanks for your support 1dayatatime1!

To directly answer your questions, the last recovery forum I participated in was in 2001. Don't think it was this one.

I've relapsed twice. January 14, 2009 (did that one sooo right), and after they let me out of jail for my last DUI in 2004. Other than that, I've been consistently drinking every chance I could. Haven't drank any alcohol since 1/14.

Let me ask you this. Since you are new here, how would it appear that I've been here before? And how are you representing me by guessing my past substance use?

And when you say you were "that way", exactly which "way" is that? Are you saying you were like me, a little crazy, fun-loving, and able to speak your mind clearly?

And you think it was based on these traits that you needed professional help and be placed in a "sober living environment?" Exactly what kind of institution provided you with that kind of environment?

Are you in fact suggesting that I get professional help and seek asylum? How did that work for you?

And how is it that, we who support you in this forum, may further assist you in your recovery? Did you find this release helpful?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Angry Sorry For The Typo's

Soory for the typo's, sent before spell check.
Gemeritus, I apologize if I in any way offended you it was not my intension. I am a new and will introduce myself after I respond to your email. I'll do my best to answer you in the order in which you had questions regarding my comments.

If I understand your first comment. You have been consistently drinking since you're DUI in 2004 every chance you get. So does this mean that since 2004, you've been drinking on an off? If so, that's what I would classified as a habitual relapser and that's what I was until I seeked medical help.

Regarding my comment of being "That Way" I was the life of the party when I had been drinking. That however got old fairly quickly. I lost friends, familly and soon my dignity, until I realized that my life had become unmanagable and out of control.

Realizing that I was out of control and that the next thing I was going to loose my wife, and next my high paying job, and not neccessarily in that order, I attempted to "Stop" on my own. While having dinner that same evening, something happened. I woke up in the hospital emergence ward. You see, I had a seisure in my attempt to stop drinking on my own. My wife was crying next to me. She had indicated that I had a seisure and that I was in the hospital. I stayed in the hospital for several days. Seeing the love of my life crying and asking why amd I doing this and that I was killing her as well, was like someone hitting over the head with a hammer. I think it was my higher power.

As for my sober living environment. I was willing to spend whatever it would take to receive help with my addiction. I would travel to opposite ends of the US and Canada if neccessary to work towards sobriety. I new that If I didn't seek this help, there were only two opptions left for me jail/prison or death.

The "Sober House" that I lived in for a year was recommended by my psychiatrist and my psychhologist. Basically the rules were as follows. one lives in the house.Everyone is in bed by 10:30pm and rises at 7:00am. eavery morning at 8:00am there is a house meeting and then again at 7:00pm. You are responsible for your own food, keeping your room cleaning, being certain that you bed is made each day, washing your own clothes and bed linens, and sharing housekeeping responsibilities with the other "Guests" There are no overnights for the first 8 months, and the recommended time one should soend in the program is 18 months, I left in a year and have been sober now for 3 years. The bottom line is that it added structure to my life, I will admit that I ws insane to think that doing the same thing over and over again was going to change things eventually.

Am I saying that you should seek professional help? "YES" am I saying that you need to seek asylum? "NO" it worked for me however, but one should consult with their medical professional. I hope that I have answered all of your questons, but if you should have any others, I would be more than happy to try and answer them.

As you can tell I am long winded. Just observing some of the posts, I think not only can I recieve some additional ideas to stimulate the thinking but that I can be of assistance to many currently going through what I had gone through. Hope that this cleared some things up for you. Hang in there.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
huh?

Thank you for your concern, my friend. I've been in direct sales for several years, and have a thick skin. You didn't come close to offending me. Now say something about my mom and... just kidding, I know you wouldn't sink THAT low. Question is, since you can dish it out can you take it?

So by your definition, EVERYONE who drinks is classified as a habitual relapser!

This is one out of about six stories that alcoholics have to share, I'm with ya.

This is a very sad story, one that I would never joke about. However, you seem to remove yourself as responsible for causing your wife pain and anguish.

Don't you see that your actions (pouring buckets of alcohol down your throat) resulted in your episode? Can't you feel your own conscious?

Have you bottled up your own feelings of guilt and remorse to the point that you think God is swinging hammers when you feel like c*rap for your own actions?

The pain of your actions outweighed the enjoyment. You became sick and tired of being sick and tired. Same here, my friend.

Thankfully, I have an option you didn't. Quit drinking alcohol and stay quit; never pick up again.

The "Sober House" that I lived in for a year was recommended by my psychiatrist and my psychhologist.
Time for an overhaul!

Basically the rules were as follows. one lives in the house.Everyone is in bed by 10:30pm and rises at 7:00am. eavery morning at 8:00am there is a house meeting and then again at 7:00pm. You are responsible for your own food, keeping your room cleaning, being certain that you bed is made each day, washing your own clothes and bed linens, and sharing housekeeping responsibilities with the other "Guests" There are no overnights for the first 8 months, and the recommended time one should soend in the program is 18 months, I left in a year and have been sober now for 3 years. The bottom line is that it added structure to my life, I will admit that I ws insane to think that doing the same thing over and over again was going to change things eventually.
Everyone has different needs, for me that would be like day-care or boot-camp. It's curious that you placed that last sentence where you did. After all,

being certain that you bed is made each day, washing your own clothes and bed linens, and sharing housekeeping responsibilities with the other "Guests"
You did this over and over again, right? Didn't that change things? Sorry, just trying out the "new logic."

Am I saying that you should seek professional help? "YES"
Ok, I'm listening. Why? Please, give me your reasons for saying this. Does hanging out in the psych ward and receiving professional help automatically make you Board Certified to practice medicine and make treatment recommendations?

Just asking.

am I saying that you need to seek asylum? "NO" it worked for me however, but one should consult with their medical professional. I hope that I have answered all of your questons, but if you should have any others, I would be more than happy to try and answer them.
Just answer the last one, and I'll be happy!

As you can tell I am long winded. Just observing some of the posts, I think not only can I recieve some additional ideas to stimulate the thinking but that I can be of assistance to many currently going through what I had gone through. Hope that this cleared some things up for you.
We must be tuned in to "receive." Hopefully, this will stimulate your thinking and you can clear this all up.

Hang in there.
I'll be just fine, brother. Have a great weekend, and do something nice for the Mrs.

Gary

Last edited by gemeritus; 01-23-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow!!!

It seems as though I struck a nerve. You totally misinterpreted everything I said. Of course I blame myself for the pain and suffering I put my spouse through wasn't I clear enough for you to understand? We're all responsible for our own actions and I'd be the first to admit that I caused all the pain and suffering that I ut those I'm closest to through. Of course I had the same options that you have "Stop Drinking And Stay Quit" I don't understand the language . If you mean quit drinking and remain sober now you're making sense. But having relapse after relapse after relapse well, maybe its me but it doesn't sound like you've stayed quit. Your demeanor seems different tonight mmmmmmmm are you OK? you seem to be upset. I am tuned in believe me and I hope that you'll be OK for your sake but if you haven't received any type of therapy consider it,it's your call. Unfortunately it doesn't matter or effect me one way or another it's your life. Direct Sales made you thick skinned you got away easy try doing for thirty five years that's being thick skinned. Good luck to you and have a sober weekend.
Thank you for your concern, my friend. I've been in direct sales for several years, and have a thick skin. You didn't come close to offending me. Now say something about my mom and... just kidding, I know you wouldn't sink THAT low. Question is, since you can dish it out can you take it?

So by your definition, EVERYONE who drinks is classified as a habitual relapser!

This is one out of about six stories that alcoholics have to share, I'm with ya.

This is a very sad story, one that I would never joke about. However, you seem to remove yourself as responsible for causing your wife pain and anguish.

Don't you see that your actions (pouring buckets of alcohol down your throat) resulted in your episode? Can't you feel your own conscious?

Have you bottled up your own feelings of guilt and remorse to the point that you think God is swinging hammers when you feel like c*rap for your own actions?

The pain of your actions outweighed the enjoyment. You became sick and tired of being sick and tired. Same here, my friend.

Thankfully, I have an option you didn't. Quit drinking alcohol and stay quit; never pick up again.

Time for an overhaul!

Everyone has different needs, for me that would be like day-care or boot-camp. It's curious that you placed that last sentence where you did. After all,

You did this over and over again, right? Didn't that change things? Sorry, just trying out the "new logic."

Ok, I'm listening. Why? Please, give me your reasons for saying this. Does hanging out in the psych ward and receiving professional help automatically make you Board Certified to practice medicine and make treatment recommendations?

Just asking.

Just answer the last one, and I'll be happy!

We must be tuned in to "receive." Hopefully, this will stimulate your thinking and you can clear this all up.

I'll be just fine, brother. Have a great weekend, and do something nice for the Mrs.

Gary
Old 01-23-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Okay, Guys,

This thread was started by Gemeritus looking for support for his 7 days sober.

Let's stick to the topic, please.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It seems to me that Gemeritus is trying to quit now. That's all that really matters. Congratulations Gemeritus and I hope you keep coming back to SR.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
huh?

Hey, let me be the first to apologize to the forum. This isn't my sandbox. You all are so understanding. I wouldn't have backed down from this one on my own.

I could go over all the interventions in my life that had little effect, but it all comes down to right now.

I'm going on day 9 without picking up, and nobody's going to kill the joy. Tonight was tough, but made it through.

And I have all of you great people on this forum to thank for all the support.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you as well

That's terrific!! is this the longest that you've ever gone in terms of the total number of days, and what are yu doing differently if anything to maintain your sobriety.
Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
gemeritus

I'm at day 50 thanks to the support of the people on this forum and my willpower. Day 9 is quite the accomplishment for you (and all of us who are alcoholics)! I'm glad you're here!

Phal