Notices

Weird withdrawals?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weird withdrawals?

All I can say is I feel exhausted and like I've been through the mill. Is this normal? I'm tired, yet I slept last night. I have no energy. I can't get myself to do ANYTHING except sit on the Internet. How long will this last? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, it's normal. If you're just sitting here, I'd highly recommend Carol's sticky at the top of the threads called "Quitting..What to expect ..What we did "
Old 01-22-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi Katie!
Glad to hear at least your "going through it"... instead of our usual MO!

Yes, hon, very normal! Some of us go through an array of physical, mental & emotional feelings. What is common for me is (for both body & mind): Anxiety, agitation, pacing, exhaustion, depression, racing thoughts, nausea, etc.... These are common in almost all alcoholics! Hang in there as it really does get better! I'm on day 7 and almost all these things have completely disappated, except for anxiety. You'll be okay and if you have to just sit in front of your computer all day and post/read, do it! Whatever will help you NOT pick up that first drink!

If you can, drink some tea and broth. Try, as hard as it may be, to get a lot of H2O down you! When or if your eating, take some vitamins, esp Vit B! Keep us posted!
Love ya! Nicki
Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
Yes, it's normal. If you're just sitting here, I'd highly recommend Carol's sticky at the top of the threads called "Quitting..What to expect ..What we did "
Thanks, but I am not seeing that stickie. Where is it?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nickishine View Post
Hi Katie!
Glad to hear at least your "going through it"... instead of our usual MO!

Yes, hon, very normal! Some of us go through an array of physical, mental & emotional feelings. What is common for me is (for both body & mind): Anxiety, agitation, pacing, exhaustion, depression, racing thoughts, nausea, etc.... These are common in almost all alcoholics! Hang in there as it really does get better! I'm on day 7 and almost all these things have completely disappated, except for anxiety. You'll be okay and if you have to just sit in front of your computer all day and post/read, do it! Whatever will help you NOT pick up that first drink!

If you can, drink some tea and broth. Try, as hard as it may be, to get a lot of H2O down you! When or if your eating, take some vitamins, esp Vit B! Keep us posted!
Love ya! Nicki
Thanks Nicki. I feel like the jig is up and I don't have a choice anymore. I don't have the luxury of telling myself only one more time, as it won't be one more time.

My friend in AA just called me and I was in bed. He told me when he gets depressed he will spend three or four days that way and then get up. He also encouraged me to go to a meeting, which is at 3. This will force me to put on normal clothes and brush my hair, so I guess I will. It will do me some good to get out of this house and be around people - especially people with the same issue I have.

In fact, now that I am not working anymore, and used to drive all over this town for work, I should really be able to find the time and energy to drive down the street for me.

Congrats on your accomplishment of the first week.

Hugs, Katie.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hi Katie!

I talked to my sponsor yesterday..and told her I felt I haven't been "doing enough"..

been a little frozen lately, a tad depressed.

She shared with me.."Stop beating yourself up! At least..you are not doing anything

wrong!" "I have faith in you that things will happen in their own good time."

I will say this as well to you, dear Katie..

You are trying..

Hugs
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Thanks, Katie!

Getting out of the house will be SOOOO good for you! I'm glad to hear you're going to a meeting! I'm going to one at 2pm with my sponsor and am a little gun shy with fear! This particular meeting I haven't gone to in 4 years and am feeling all that crappy shame stuff about "what other people think" right now. Once I go through the doors, I'm sure I'll feel better and more at ease - although anxious!

Will post a thread or here when I get back to let you all know how if was and what's going on. I'd like to hear how your meeting goes as well! Take care -- you're doing great!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I am not seeing that stickie. Where is it?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-22-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
IO Storm

P.S. to Katie...

I also met with my psychiatrist yesterday...her advice?

Keep working my AA program..get out of the house more, and walk walk walk!!!

lol
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Katie~ It's normal to feel "not normal" if that makes any sense! Be easy on yourself and getting out and going for a walk if you can will do wonders for you =)
Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot. That was a great thread.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Katie,

Everybody's different, but all I wanted to do after 2 weeks was sleep. 10, 11, 12 hours a day. NUTS!

This too shall pass though.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Resident

Weird withdrawals is what got me in this mess in the first place. My wife looked at our bank statement and said "what are all these $100 withdrawals? This is weird."

Oh the other kind of withdrawals. So sorry.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Katie,

Everybody's different, but all I wanted to do after 2 weeks was sleep. 10, 11, 12 hours a day. NUTS!

This too shall pass though.
Yes, it shall pass, although I just slept two plus hours sans a sleeping pill (my nightly ritual - a bottle of wine and half a sleeping pill to sleep then another half a sleeping pill when I would wake up) and it really felt great. In fact, it felt so great, I am going to go back for more! Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm..
For about 6 months...I followed an eating plan + supplements
I found in "Under The Influence"
Worked out well for me....

I think it was based on a diet plan for hypoglycemia
It's always wise to check with your doctor.

Well done on your sober time.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi Katie!

How was your meeting at 3pm?

I went to the one I earlier mentioned (that I was scared about) and it was great -- well not great -- but am glad I walked through the doors and lasted an entire hour and for the most part enjoyed what I heard. If it weren't for my Nazi sponsor and her whip, I wouldn't have gone. Am glad I did! Those people are just a bunch of alkies too! Why the hell am I so afraid of what someone else thinks??..

Be good!!! :ghug3
Old 01-23-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nickishine View Post
Hi Katie!

How was your meeting at 3pm?

I went to the one I earlier mentioned (that I was scared about) and it was great -- well not great -- but am glad I walked through the doors and lasted an entire hour and for the most part enjoyed what I heard. If it weren't for my Nazi sponsor and her whip, I wouldn't have gone. Am glad I did! Those people are just a bunch of alkies too! Why the hell am I so afraid of what someone else thinks??..

Be good!!! :ghug3
Hi Nicki,

I am glad your meeting was great! I think it's normal to feel a little scared to walk into a room of people for the first time, ESPECIALLY in early sobriety. I don't know how big your meetings are, but down here they are like a minimum of 50 people and usually 100 where I used to go, so I'd just sit in the back of the room.

I ended up sleeping instead of the meeting - felt I needed the sleep more than the meeting. My body is trying to heal so I am just drinking lots of water, resting, eating a lot of ramen noodles (I know bad, but they are easy to pop in the microwave and I don't feel like cooking, going out to buy healthy food at this point). Today I'll start with the vitamins and maybe a walk. I am taking it very easy this time around. I've always bounced back so fast in the past, but this time really scared me. This time was different. I am used to doing stupid things while drinking, being horrified, mental anguish, but when it comes to actual physical pain caused by drinking...that makes me take note.

Anyway, you keep on doing wonderfully!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
Texas,
What is a stick I am looking all over for them! I keep hearing about them and don't see them anywhere. Nothing at the top of the thread page about quitting what to expect.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovinmenow View Post
Texas,
What is a stick I am looking all over for them! I keep hearing about them and don't see them anywhere. Nothing at the top of the thread page about quitting what to expect.
Thanks
The stickies come before the threads by members like you and me. They are pinned and at the top of a section. Post #8 of this thread has that stickie.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have been the same way, Nice that you posted this & got to read the responses. Good Luck hon!