Notices

Got threw one night,

Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got threw one night,

I had my first night of dart league sober tonight and i could of easliy drank, had a sober driver and everything. Spent alot of money on diet coke. So two of us went home sober... Was not easy. Got another night of dart league again tomorrow... It so hard stopping something that is so natural grabbing darts taking a swig and so on. Its like driving with out a steering wheel...
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

wow, Stick, congratulations!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stick,

That is excellent!! Congratulations on your success. I can only imagine what dangers exist when playing darts while drunk. Still, I'm glad you are here and I hope you keep coming back for support.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Wow, Stick.......... I'm amazed! Congrats on doing it SOBER!!! Careful now.........
Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Getting through something you are used to doing under the influence is tough! But you did it this time so you can it the next time too! Congrats!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Congrats. I have a question. Did you start to notice any of the other people"changing" when they were drinking and you were sober? I notice it all the time in my friends when I am trying no to drink and they are throwing them back. Its those times when I thank God I am not drinking and acting like them.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

That is great. I don't think that I could do that. I used to play poker at the bar once aa week and I tried to not drink a couple of times but never made it and always ended up loaded. The upside is I play better poker when I drink. Anyhow, only about half the people that play are drinkers so it shouldn't have been that hard. I know that with darts almost all the players are drinkers as it is part of the game so for you to be able to do that so early is amazing. Y haven't gone back to poker yet and don't know if I will.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its to bad dart leagues are founded around the pubs and bars, i love playing, drinking is everywhere else for me too, all my family drinks, and inlaws drink too, some hard core too. i love playing darts, two nights a week and all the tournaments, nothing else to do in sd in the dead of winter. well got a another test again to night, back to back, have league again tonight. thank you all for the suppport........
Old 01-22-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

Good luck tonight Stick. Not just in the not drinking but in the dart game yoo. Maybe you will hear the announcer sing out. One eighttty.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
huh?

Well, if you can quit and stay quit in that environment...

Show us how it's done, boss!

You're the man.

I can't believe the name "stick" was available. Dambit.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you, getting thru a night without the usual drinking. Keep moving forward, one day at a time. It does get better and sobriety is so much worth the effort!:ghug3
Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You should be very proud for getting through that Sober =) Keep it up, you can do it~
Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think that is awesome...

I used to play in a pool league and loved it. It would be hard for me to go back to the league even with 11 months sober.

Good for you... If theres a will theres a way.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pulled through back to back dart league nights no booze, alot of diet coke. Last night was tuffer than wed got a little crap from the boys. Got through it though and feel great today. First friday in a long time after darts that i have felt this good... Now got two days for a week for being dry. Sat got a big social event to get through.... not lookn forward for that...
Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

Originally Posted by stick View Post
Pulled through back to back dart league nights no booze, alot of diet coke. Last night was tuffer than wed got a little crap from the boys. Got through it though and feel great today. First friday in a long time after darts that i have felt this good... Now got two days for a week for being dry. Sat got a big social event to get through.... not lookn forward for that...
You can do it.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes I have thought of this, We bring the kids bowling alot - Be we always get drinks up there. My husband likes to play Buck Hunter, so I don't see how will be able to sit up at the Bar while he plays.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you and Welcome to SR!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Resident

Way to go Stick. It must be tough being such a social animal. Just kidding. Keep it up. Pepsi needs the business. Soft drink sales are a bit off and I am only encouraging you because I am a Pepsi shareholder.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Way to go Stick. It must be tough being such a social animal. Just kidding. Keep it up. Pepsi needs the business. Soft drink sales are a bit off and I am only encouraging you because I am a Pepsi shareholder.
You're such a nut. I love your humor and appreciate how you try to keep people smiling and laughing.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Being an addict that spends alot of time in social settings must be really hard. I drink alone mostly, and my family and most friends do not.

Congrats on the hard choice you are making.

I'm telling myself, "Be strong and live."

God bless