Notices

Not counting anymore...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not counting anymore...

This message is the one I sent to to C23...
His days were a match to mine...
I lost, this is what I sen to his PM

Count me out...I lost, You win.
I guess my days aren't numbered anymore.
I'm sorry that I didn't stick it out with you, I guess I'm not serious enough...probably never will be.
Thanks for being there with me in the first place buddy....keep going!
XOXO
:ghug3
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's really about getting back on that horse and riding and less about comparing time to other people's time. I thought it was so cool in rehab when we went around the room and everyone was saying how much time they had and this guy just shrugged his head and said "over 30 days" like it didn't matter that much, as he was in it for the long haul. I'll never forget that. I think it's great to string as many consecutive days together as possible, but I always said for every day I wasn't drinking my liver was thanking me along with the rest of my body. That's my position at least.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Dont count those numbers anymore than. We are still in this together.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

You can keep going too, when you want it. I wish you the best in your journey.

Much love.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

James is right. You have to want it. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it does not matter whether your sober for one day or 1,000 days.

Something I hear alot in AA meetings is that people don't announce there time in sobriety to brag, but only to show the newcomers that the program works!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Adayatatime,

Okay, please hear me out.... You choose to drink/use, but you are not alone!!!! There are millions of people who have to make countless attempts before they surrender and really give sobriety a shot. Me for instance. Look at my sobriety date!

You still have a willingness otherwise I don't think you'd even come back here. Do you know how many people will be behind your date should you give up the booze/drugs and surrender to sobriety???? Do you know how many people will have your sobriety date when you choose to get sober??? Yay, it's a great thing having someone there with the same date and your doing it together. But get over this!!!! Just cuz you blew it doesn't mean you always will. You gotta want this thing and not depend on only yourself (and 1 other person) to make it. You need support and you've got it right here!!!

Don't throw in the towel! We care! I care! You can start again anytime you choose to! I've had to a zillion times!

Hugs, :ghug3
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi ADayAtATime, we both also had the same days. I believe that we quit on the same day. But after 7 days sober I drank almost a bottle of tequila after a fight with my girlfriend that I used as an excuse to drink. The next day I realized I had make a mistake and I felt very bad with myself because I was proud of what I had accomplished. Now it is almost day 7 for me again and I now realize that I do not want to feel that way again and that drinking does not help.

Maybe after that week that I was sober I believed that a couple of drinks could not hurt, I now realize that I was wrong and it is still a reminder for me that drinking that night did not helped me and will not help me in the future. So right now I am counting the days again but I feel that first week sober helped me prepare for this past week. In a way, drinking that night for me was a reminder of what I do not want to do again.

I think you should take it as a lesson and be proud of what you accomplished and just keep going. One day that you drank does not mean that all the effort that you did before was not worth it. As I said before, I believe you should take it as a lesson and keep going
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Sometimes the numbers get in the way of our battle. I believe if the numbers begin to have too much importance, we lose sight of the purpose. I have in the past fell flat on my face and woke the next morning thinking, "What the hell, I blew it." then that left the door open to fall back into the old ways.
Use the days as a gauge, not as a contest. It is no contest, it is indeed a battle. And during the fight, some days are lost, some days are gained...it is the outcome that weighs the greatest importance.

Padraic
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think I can't put it any better than Creekryder did.

aiming to live our lives sober day after day is important, but it's the being sober that's important, not the days.

Start again ADAAT - we've all been there

D
Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

Creek said it best. It is not about a number. It is about a journey that you want to take and just because you took the wrong fork in the road doesn't mean you can't get back on the right path that leads to where you want to go. Every minute spent on the right path is a success and the time spent on the path that leads you away from your end goal is but a detour.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just focus on yourself and your sobriety, and you'll get this right.