Notices

Old activities

Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Old activities

Some of you may know this test, but when you go to the doctor for booze and/or depression and or/ anxiety, they make you fill out this questionaire. Depending on how you answer the question, a diagnosis is given. Well I was thinking about this test today.

One of the main questions that they ask is do you still enjoy doing the things/activities you used to. WOW, has that been a big fat no for a few years now.

So, I am going to get back to doing the things I used to love to do. Working out, going to the movies, and playing sports.

I am going to get back into shape and start laying ice hockey again. I think if I tried right now I would have a heart attack. The next season starts in May I think so I have a goal now.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with everyone and maybe you guys can also think of somethings you miss doing that you will get back to.

Chris
Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

We use to play volleyball at BBQ's when I lived in Florida. That was before my addiciton went full throttle.
I was locked up for 40 days in 2001. And Me and my girl would play against 2 or 4 others and kill it. I am good at volleyball. It works all your muscles. And its fun. Not reccomended on concrete tho like in jail. LOL
I like beach cruisers. I use to ride a bike alkot in Florida. Even when I was running in the streets. I was on a bike. And you couldnt get that bike away from me for nothing.
Swimming. I loooove swimming. But unfortunately in NY there isnt too much of that going on now. Not even in the summer really. No places to swim here except when we go to camp.

I miss Florida!!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Great plan of action!!!

Hmmm, what do I like to do? What did I like to do? Crap! This is mind boggling right now, although I know there were things but my memory escapes me.... It's been that long!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

I am pretty much like Nicki. I used to like to play milk carton hockey after school then play with my hot wheels before delivering my newspapers and doing my homework. Don't think I will be going back yo doing those things.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

There are A LOT of things that I used to really enjoy doing that I don't do anymore. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I've been struggling with motivation and depression issues so most of my days are spent thinking about what I SHOULD be doing while I sit there and NOT do them, then I go to bed with a heavy heart and a distracted mind.

I'm going to try to change that, but it's not easy. However, I'm going to REALLY TRY to make it to the gym today. That's one thing on my "lost good habits" list that I really really really need to bring back to life. So I'm starting with that one.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just want to get back to living honestly with myself and others.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it is important to replase drinking with other activities. I have done the following:

1. Started swimming laps again like I used to.
2. Got a book on native plants and I have gone out into the forest to try to identify the plants.
3. Got a book/CD on birds and their calls, to identify the birds around here.
4. Started to continue to teach myself to speak Russian.

Anything done sober is better than done while drunk/high!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was depressed for many years and had a hard time really enjoying anything.

Eventually I began drinking to self-medicate.

When I got the depression treated and stopped drinking, I felt my life returning to me.

Walking was the big thing for me. I had always walked a lot, every day and when I got back to it in early recovery, it helped me in so many ways.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Liverpool 19

I miss my true friends from school days who i neglected through drinking instead i hung out with a bunch of hanger ons not real friends just people like me who loved getting out of our heads,even the 11 months i spent sober i did not see much of my real lifelong friends so thats what i miss and i am going to see much more of them.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I want to continue to learn the history of the samurai and learn to speak Japanese
Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just joined a fossil hunting club. I grew up in Indiana and there are a ton of fossils there. It is the same way around here, and I have not done this is years. It involves a lot of hiking and climbing, the outdoors in general. Oh and I always pack a fishing rod and tackle box as well.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I just joined a fossil hunting club. I grew up in Indiana and there are a ton of fossils there. It is the same way around here, and I have not done this is years. It involves a lot of hiking and climbing, the outdoors in general. Oh and I always pack a fishing rod and tackle box as well.
Fossil Hunting? That sounds amazing. Ever find anything cool?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Fossil hunting sounds super cool! I remember when I was little and we'd go visit family in a little tiny rural town in Utah, we would find a ton of obsidian rock (sp?) and arrowheads (yes I know they aren't fossils lol) .. but it was really fun!

My counselor said to me yesterday that his neighbor makes 10 year goals, and has his entire life. 10 years!! One decade he got his pilots license.. the next, mastered a new language. He is in his 70's now, not sure what this decade's goal is but it sure is inspiring to know people that really really LIVE life.. thrive even.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmm...I miss in-line skating and going to skate parks and what not. I'll have to get back into that again. And you mentioned ice hockey...haven't done that in ten years, but I'd love to try that out again. I think the closest I got to that in the past ten years was one summer working as a Zamboni driver. And how I pulled that off while drinking all the time I don't even know. It's a wonder I never got fired. lol
Wes