Notices

What are the chances?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

What are the chances?

Does anyone think that "normal" non-drinkers or users appreciate waking up and feeling great? Do they even notice how great they feel? Does anyone think they realize how lucky they are to have not been in that "fog" for so many years. Or better yet, do you think those "normal" folk have to walk around in there own "fog" due to certain things going on in their lives, i.e. stress, relationships, work, etc. I personally think the many years of "fog" will make me appreciate and cherish every day I walk this earth till I am gone. Maybe addiction was a blessing in disguise.

I never really thought of the lyrics to this song, but for me, it applies here:

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think normal drinkers get hangovers, in fact i know they do.

The reality is when I was 19, I was the least hungover of all of my friends the next day and I'd be back partying that evening when many of them were not.

In fact, this is one of the early indicators of being susceptible to alcoholism - great tolerance and mild hangovers. (see the book Under The Influence)

It is only after I hit my 40s that I started having the 4-alarm hangovers that come with 2 decades of hard drinking, and those, I am sure, none of my non-alcoholic friends have ever had.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

I think we are in a league of our own on that. However, I look at and know of many "normies" who really do appreciate the breath they have. For instance, my step-mom's daughter was murdered (my best friend) some years ago and due to her deep reliance on God and her faith, she has an appreciation for life that most can't fathom.

I think concerning "normies", that it really depends on their approach on life... their empathy for others... etc...

But as far as us addicts go, we have truly a different type of appreciation on things. That's just my thoughts on it anyway.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

P.S.

I never really appreciated that song so much until I've had any sobriety. It's a tear jerker! I'm a believer!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nickishine View Post
I never really appreciated that song so much until I've had any sobriety. It's a tear jerker! I'm a believer!
At my buddy's funeral in July they played Amazing Grace and Taps (he was a Marine). I balled my eyes out.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Before I started smoking cocaine. I smoked alot of pot. Witht that it was a daily thing. But nothing evenb closely compared to where cocaine took me. I kept a job. My life didnt revolve around weed. Did normal things all the time.

But I still felt like crap the next day after smoking out on weed the day before. But it never crossed my mind that I had a problem or needed to stop. Life was normal. But I still got the groggys.

Now when I started smoking cocaine. Guilt would consume me. Because of the amounts of money I spent.
Then it became an addiction. In the streets 24/7. Then it seemed life was normal. Even tho it wasnt.
Really not until I moved to NY in 2003 did I start to feel like it was a problem again.
Then it was guilt, feeling like crap, no energy, life just sucked.

I guess for me it is all how you look at yourself and your situation. And how it really does affect your life.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

If you want to hear one of the most powerful renditions of Amazing Grace, download LeeAnn Rhimes accapella version. It brings a tear to my eye everytime.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

C23 you are so right. The feeling good is almost overwhelming. I have found my self feeling grateful for having been a drinker because not drinking feels soooo good. I almost feel like I got to get younger by quitting (and being in the mid-50's there are not a lot of things that make you feel younger!).

Amazing Grace - yes.. beautiful. We all must be on the receiving end of some amazing grace to have each other, this site and some days of not drinking.