Notices

Another "Champagne Holiday"

Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another "Champagne Holiday"

Tomorrow (or today, depending on where you are) is going to be a little challenging in lieu of the Presidential Inauguration. I looked at the paper to see what was going on and it's nothing but "Champagne Breakfasts" all morning long followed by lots of parties. I have a feeling there are going to be lots of drunk people out.

I don't mind not being a part of those, but it frustrates me that it's yet another alcohol-laden celebration and a time that almost everyone I know will be drinking to and as a result, a feeling of being 'left out'.
I'm not sure why, but it seems alcohol seems to have a larger presence more and more during major holidays with each passing year.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can go months with no social life and no reasons to drink and get drunk every day. Then, soon as I stop drinking, there are people and reasons bursting at the seams! I have no idea why this happens - how do they know? Where do they come from? Sheesh.

I keeping thinking that Barack won't be having a champagne breakfast. Why? Well, so I can stand sober at Barack's shoulder. Sort of like that thing when you meet the queen you have to imagine her farting so you're not nervous. Or, I can imagine Barack farting, which will distract me long enough not to get a drink...

Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Right! It's alot like when I would break up with an ex-boyfriend. While we were together , I didn't think much about his car, his favorite music, or favorite clothes...
but once we broke up, I started seeing those everywhere!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I think you just answered your own question, LaDita. I don't necessarily think it's around any more, I think we just notice it more because now we're avoiding it. Just like I might not glance at the Godiva store in the mall for 6 months, but as soon as I notice I've gained a few pounds... boy, that chocolate looks mighty good!

Hang in there, honey. This too shall pass.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes! Or when you learn a new word? I get this anyway - I learn a new word, sure I've never heard it before in my life, and then it seems like the whole world just can't stop saying it! Is that just me??!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Nope.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOL - phew!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

I think that it is that you notice it also. My second date with my now wife was my birthday and she gave me a card that was called " a reason to drink everyday" It had 365 different occasions to drink, one for each day. It is kinda ironic that she has now given me 365 reasons not to drink each day. They are if you are drunk this time you are outta here.