Notices

Day 2

Old 01-19-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Day 2

Sorry just getting some thoughts out

I was reading through some of the leaflets they gave me at AA last night. I've felt for quite a while that maybe i was a fraud. When i was reading the leaflets there was a questionaire that says are you an alcoholic?
I read it and answered yes to all nearly all the questions. The outcome being yes i am.
I've struggled with this. I dont drink every day.
I see a counselor and through talking found out that i used my work as a way not to drink. It came to a head when i started drinking before work sometimes, i knew i had to do something.
I've been reading on here and the professional sites about all the the effects people get when they stop drinking.
Other than shaky inside, a few hand tremors, upset stomach, being emotional and my head whirling. I have nothing of the symptoms anyone has.
Dont get me wrong i am extremely grateful about this but does this not mean i am not an alcoholic?
A worry i have and i dont know if this is possible (so please excuse my ignorance) is can these effects be delayed?
I'm thinking because i would be off drink for a few days when working, has my body got used to this and are there worse effects just waiting to sneek up on me?
I do understand we all experience things differently.
I am due to go back to work tomorrow and am scared that anything happens at work. (I work with vulnerable adults).
Sorry this is long winded and again for any ignorance ive shown.

Be well
louis
Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Louis! Good job on day 2. I was a heavy binge drinker...I didn't drink everyday, nor did I drink in the morning. Fortunately for me I too did not have any horrible withdrawals when I quit....but that did not mean I didn't have a drinking problem. I think by tomorrow you will be fine. I'm glad you are seeing a counselor and are seeking sobriety. You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hiya louis, and just take it all, one day at a time...

welcome to the family...
Old 01-19-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At one time in my drinking career, I could back off and not experience severe withdrawals. Alcoholism is progressive however and my binges got longer and my withdrawals got worse. A LOT worse.

Here is a link on how bad it can get, but to sum it up you can die from alcohol detox, in fact it is several times more deadly than opiate detox:

Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome - March 15, 2004 - American Family Physician
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi louis and congratulations on getting sober.

Alcoholism can be confusing right?..one of the problems is that we are all different with different levels i guess..

Some binge.....some constant.....some only wine......some only beer.....some secret.......some chronic....the list go on.

There is one question that i always like........."when you commence drinking can you guarantee when your stop?"

Thats a problem right? if i cant guarantee when i will stop...

My wife can.........cos she isn't an alcoholic and i guess thats the key..
If she says "I'm not gonna drink this week because I'm slimming"....she wont.

There are many different buses that alcoholics take.........but we all end up at the same destination in the end..hopefully..at peace sober

As far as de-toxing from alcohol......ive never known it to be delayed although with me it took 24hrs to start to kick in because of the amount in my body.......BUT I'm not a doctor.

IMO....and worth remembering........ONE OF THE MOST DEVASTATING ELEMENTS OF ALCOHOLISM IS IT WILL TRY TO CONVINCE US WE DONT HAVE IT...

And im saying that to myself as well as you..

I hope this helps......keep posting my friend...........trucker
Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Louis! YOu are very fortunate to not have horrible withdrawal symptoms. But not have horrible withdrawal doesn't mean you aren't alcoholic. Congrats on day two and may you have many more sober days, one day at a time.

:ghug3
Old 01-19-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Thank you all
I really appreciate your replies and honesty.

I do realise how lucky i am. I was posting cos i was scared of anything happening at work tomorrow. Also i was abit embarrassed to ask these questions at my AA. Its easier if you cant see people sometimes.
Thank you again.

I wish you all luck and good health
Old 01-19-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Good to see you here louis. I was also a binge drinker and I had no symptoms in the first week of quitting. Don't know agout the second week as I haven't got that far yet but I am not expecting anything physical.

Like some of the others have said I think that if you can't control your drinking at the time you have a problem. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Louis and welcome to SR.
For the first week or so I felt like I was carrying a phantom hangover around with me for an hour or two after waking up. This passed and thankfully I didn't suffer any other symptons. Sure things will be fine at work, best wishes.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Louis, you and i are in the same boat. I dont have really bad withdrawal symptoms when I stop either, but that doesnt mean we dont have a problem. Good job on day two as I am on day one this time around.