Notices

Big night for me tonight, going to see Metallica, SOBER.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
I hope they're still playing "Battery" and "Trapped Under Ice."
Battery yes, Trapped Under Ice, no.

And no Creeping Death either...
Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by James13 View Post
It's good to see Metallica getting back to their thrashy roots. Cliff would like that.
I think he would too.

Cliff was the man, I saw him w/ Metallica back in 1986, just before he passed away.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

you are soooooooo lucky....jealous...jealous.....jealous.

ac/dc is touring here at the moment and im trying to get tickets..
If your young enough to remember them!!!!.......legend imo

I dont miss the booze that went with it but i do miss the hairlmao
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by prettypoison View Post
getr that is awesome! I'm proud of you (and James too). Have you seen "Some kind of monster" documentary? Good stuff.
I saw it when it first came out and really enjoyed what an insight it provided. In fact, we watched it on DVD yesterday morning, as a way of getting ready for the show. I think they've come along way since then and I give them credit for being so open about their problems.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Here is the review from the local paper, the Boston Herald...

Full metal Metallica: Band finally gets it

What is metal?

Stupid question, right? Any ’70s stoner with a “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath” 8-track, a couple of black light posters and a bong can tell you more that you ever wanted to know about metal. So why has Metallica - the band that best embodies ’80s thrash - spent so much of the last 15 years being so damn un-metal?

There was drummer Lars Ulrich’s namby-pamby rants and whines against file-sharing. And Ulrich’s multimillion-dollar art collection - he recently sold a Jean-Michel Basquiat for $14 million. And, just to spread the blame around to the whole band, those acoustic sets and albums with symphonies and “Load.” Criminy! Have you heard that record?

But for all their lame moves, put the quartet in front of a crowd, like, let’s say 18,000 people at the sold-out TD Banknorth Garden last night, and it comes back to them pretty quick.

Last year’s “Death Magnetic” saw the band relapsing into its classic sound: long, complex, fast and furious epics. And as frontman James Hetfield told the crowd: “You know the stuff that goes best with the new stuff? The old stuff.”

Metallica opened with two of “Magnetic’s” heaviest, strongest tunes in “That Was Just Your Life” and “The End of the Line.” They were given a hero’s welcome - Metallica fans only come in one style, blindly patriotic. But it was when the band began to bring out its warhorses that the crowd really lost it.

“Harvester of Sorrow” into “For Whom the Bell Tolls” into “One” and any and all un-metal transgressions were forgiven - or is that unforgiven? OK, Hetfield has a faux-hawk and Ulrich kept jumping off his kit to toss cups of water into the crowd and they actually dropped balloons from the rafters. But this was metal. It was textbook, unrelenting, awesome.

Throughout the night the four prowled their in-the-round stage jumping over amps and around spits of flame and under 20-foot rotating coffins suspended by chains. Ignoring the slop between “Metallica” and “Death Magnetic,” they banged their heads to only the best. Between choice new ones including “Broken, Beat & Scarred,” “Cyanide” and “All Nightmare Long” came the thunder claps of “Sad But True,” “Master of Puppets” and “Battery.”

The main set closer of “Enter Sandman” was a little too obvious, but the encore of “Hit the Lights” and “Seek & Destroy,” both off first album “Kill ’Em All,” proved the band knows exactly what it is and what its fan base craves.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

G...

So glad the concert was great and you stayed C&S!!! Back in '90 (I think) i saw them with Guns & Roses at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Was standing on one of the first couple bleachers and was high of cannibas & really buzzed from alcohol and started a wave. Low & behold, I fell backwards and it was a rippling effect for all those behind me all the way to the top..LOL. Being sober, I probably wouldn't have started such a fiasco! Glad you're back!

Hugs, Nicki
Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

That's funny you say that because towards the end of the show, they started dropping these giant balloons from the rafters one after another right above us and as I was looking up at them on their way down and hoping to get one, a few times I felt like I was gonna fall backwards and I even slipped a little a couple times like I was gonna, lol...
Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

You just reminded me that they had those balls at the concert I was at too. I'm so glad I remember that concert cuz we went back stage and partied with Metallica --- I was a speakless goupie! They were awesome.... so much more than G&R that night!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by nickishine View Post
You just reminded me that they had those balls at the concert I was at too. I'm so glad I remember that concert cuz we went back stage and partied with Metallica --- I was a speakless goupie! They were awesome.... so much more than G&R that night!
You partied with (met) Metallica? OMG...
Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

I couldn't believe how that night turned out!!! My roomie & I decided we would go out there and scalp tixs.... this one guy had 2 backstage passes he was selling (separately) from the tixs. I was a pretty good luckin' gal back in the day and worked my magic on him. I don't remember what it ended up costing us but it wasn't much LOL!!!

Yeah, the guys were so laid back, there was food & drink and not to many groupies in our area----totally surprising. I guess we were there for about an hour which was totally awesome.

After which, I couldn't find my car anywhere. Some nice guy saw our delimna and gave us a ride home (45 min away). The next day I was like WTF where's my car??? I couldn't remember the part of getting home (alcohol kicked in big time). So called up a friend & got out there and it was the only one left standing, so it wasn't too hard to find!LOL
Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey getr

The End of the Line ? - Is that the one the Allman Bros do? Greg is recovering, you probably knew that though....

Did you take that photo?

Nicki - you girls had all the luck...

Mark
Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

"The End of the Line" is a new Metallica song dealing with addiction.

I did not take that photo but I did take plenty and some video, I'm processing it all right now and will post up some as soon as possible.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Here are the lyrics to the Allman Bros tune of the same name. I always thought he was singin' it to me... They are pretty good.

End of the line
By g. allman, w. haynes, a. woody, and j. jaworowicz
(c) 1992 sony music entertainment, inc.

And now the gravity of trouble was more than I could bear,
At times my luck was so bad, I had to fold my hands,
Almost lost my soul, rarely I could find my head,
Wake up early in the morning, feeling nearly dead.

I was never afraid of danger, took trouble on the chin,
Mountains I have climbed, that have killed a thousand men,
Spent most of my lifetime downtown, sleepin’ behind the wheel,
Never needed anybody, I was king of the hill.

[chorus:]
Oh, when I think about the old days,
Lord, it sends chills up and down my spine,
Yeah life ain’t what it seems, on the boulevard of broken dreams,
Guess I opened my eyes in the nick of time,
’cause it sure felt like the end of the line.

No matter how hard I run, I just can’t get away
I try to do my best, but the devil gets in my way
Spent most of my lifetime downtown, sleepin’ behind the wheel
’till it all came down to kill or be killed
Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for this great post and story - YES ... Inspiring and full of life. It is great to read sober full of life stories.. Full of energy and so many feelings that I sometimes associate with being high on stuff, but are really part of being human and your story has it all.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

OK, let's see if this works. This is video from the Metallica concert taken last night, it's the first two and a half minutes of Nothing Else Matters as taken by my wife actually. You can hear my voice a little and even her singing along at times. Nice moment for us...

DivShare File - 252.MOV
Old 01-19-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

My computer froze when I tried watchin the vid. LOL

I will pass for now.

Glad you had fun. And that it meant that much to you.

I personally didnt like Some Kind of Monster. It was way too long and too much Lars ranting. IMO. LOL

Keep up the great job!!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi,loved loved loved the vid, hope they are going to tour the Uk. I saw them a couple of times back in the 80's, loved them then love them now.

That must have been really moving for you last night, watching them sober? Seeing most of my favourite bands live can make me weepy ( I had tears pouring down my face when I saw Pink Floyd on my 18th Birthday) but in your circumstances it would have been overwhelming, in a good way of course!

Did you throw your coin to James?

Last edited by SummerSkye; 01-19-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Watched it!! Awesome. Now I want to go to a show.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

That's awesome. I love Metallica. Unfortunately I've never seen them live. Cool clip.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I saw them a long time ago with No Doubt. They were awesome.