Notices

Hi

Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hi

Im new here.
To be honest im just trying to get through the day and saw this site so came for a nosy.
This is day one for me. I havent had a drink today and struggling, im trying to keep myself busy.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but i need to get it out my head. I also hope i dont offend anyone with what i write.
I'm pretty angry and also very low.
I started taking my Campral this morning and know it will take afew days to kick in.
I gave up drinking about a month ago and last 2wks but then caved.
I'm determined to do it this time tho.
I went to a meeting last week, my first and am gonna go back tomorrow night so just need to get through today.
I spoke to my flatmate that i had planned to stop today and i knew he had beer in the house. I asked him not to have any in the living room when i got in today.
So i get in and there's a can sat in the middle of the living room floor unopened. It just hurt that he didn't do what i asked.
I also went shopping to keep busy and am now proceeding to eat my way through the whole weeks groceries.
Sorry again if this shouldn't be here.
I dont know what i want.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, louis. you have posted in EXACTLY the right place . lots of folks here to support you, and congrats on your sober time, today and over the past month.

is there a reason why you can only go to meetings every week? any way you can get there more often?

keep posting! hugs, k

(oh, in my opinion, that was just mean of your flat mate to put that beer in the middle of the room..just plain mean. but you can't control what other people do, so try to let it go and put your recovery first...ok?)
Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

You're in the right place! Welcome!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you.
I know there are meetings on other days but i'm not sure which to go to.
They all have different names to the meetings.
I'm sorry. I just feel so tired now.
I was just watching on tv and started crying. It wasn't even that said.
My head just feels really screwed up today.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Louis,

Thanks for your post and know that you're in EXACTLY the right place. Today is day 3 for me and instead of thinking about tomorrow - day 4 - I'm just gonna try to stay focused on the next 24 hours.

Best of luck to you. Hang in there and don't give up or give in, cuz we just keep getting what we've been getting otherwise. I'm tired of living in hell and really want to see what could be on the other side. I hope that for you too!! We can do it, just don't pick up today and we've got a chance.

Hugs, Nicki :ghug3
Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family, Louis!

I found the information on the following link helpful to me when I was ready to get sober. It is posted as a sticky under our alcoholism section:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

You are in the right place for support and information. You are doing great!

It helped me to change my routines during the first few weeks of sobriety. That kept me away from my usual habit of picking up at the same time each day. I went to the library, book store, shoe store, or a long walk; anything that did not offer access to alcohol.

Read and post as much as you need.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Louis. A lot of us are new and as the others said you are in the right place at the right time. Everyone is here to listen and support you without judging you. We are all here for each other. In another thread called January's class a lot of post everyday. You might want to check that out and join in. Good luck. You can make it if you try.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Louis, you can stay sober, one day at a time. Just don't drink for today. If I can stay sober so can you!:ghug3
Old 01-18-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You did post in the correct place ...and I'm glad to see
you here with us...Welcome!

be gentle with yourself for a while.
De toxing from alcohol is always uncomfortable.
I so hope you read the link posted above
by Pelican.

I too use SR as a supplement to my face 2 face
AA program. Works really well for me!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome Louis! Glad you found us! When I first tried to get sober--24 hours seemed like an eternity. I had to start out in smaller amounts of time...like one minute, then 5 minutes, 10 minutes....and so on until I reached my first full sober day. Even an hour seemed too long at first, but with each passing day--things got a little easier and I found that reaching out to others--like you are doing here helped tremendously. It was a relief for me to know that I didn't have to go through this alone. I just wanted to let you know that there are people here who understand what you are going through. You don't have to go through this alone either.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 01-18-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am so glad you posted.

And, it's normal to feel pretty low as you begin recovery. I was absolutely lost at that point. But, know that it will get better for you. Keep reading and posting.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Louis. Please come here for support. I'm new and don't have a lot of great advice but reading these forums takes my mind off of the desire to self medicate. The minutes pass by faster if I'm reading about the help people are getting here. I can put myself in many of the shoes at this site. Hang in there.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome

Just dont pick up, no matter what.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Here is a link that covers the various types of meetings and a whole lot of other good stuff:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 01-18-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Louis - Welcome to SR, you are in a great place. Keep coming back and post frequently, especially early. There is a lot of support here. Just get through this day.

Mark
Old 01-18-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you All.

I really appreciate your welcomes and advice.
I am in Scotland so not sure your time lines are i saw most are in America. So am sorry if i seemed rude not replying straight away.
I was struggling in the house and knew if i just went for a lie down i wouldn't sleep.
My body is done in but my mind is whirling.
So i went to an AA meeting.
The people were really friendly, but to be honest i went as a distraction. Now im back home, typing here and am going to try and sleep some.
I want this day to be over!!!!!
Thanks again

louis
Old 01-18-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Louis, be kind to yourself. Everything you're experiencing is completely normal. Your emotions will be all over the place. I was a wreck for about 3 days & then I slowly started to feel semi-normal. Being without our "friend" is so new to us we feel like a fish out of water when we start out. Just keep forging ahead towards your new life. You can do this & we'll help. SR got me straigtened out and kept me that way for over a year. (This after over 25 years of heavy drinking!) Sending love & hope over the sea to you.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
6/20/08

You are in the perfect place! Welcome to SR. Keep reading and posting....it helps!