Notices

New here...

Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here...

I'm new...just now registered. I've been sober for almost a year, but am only now really looking into actively learning about my addiction and recovery. I do have a couple of questions...the first is: does everyone here (or most everyone) affiliate themselves with AA or NA or other 12 step programs? If not, why, and what recovery model do you employ? Question 2: Atheists? Anyone? I am an atheist, I have the utmost respect, however, for those of you who are religious, and have found comfort within your religion. But, as an atheist, I'm not sure how to reconcile the notion of a higher power, but I don't want that to hold me back. Any suggestions on that front will be greatly appreciated and taken into deep consideration. Other than that, I'm glad to be here! And thanks for listening (or reading, as it were! )
Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. A lot of people hear belong to 12-step programs, but there are also a fair number who do not. Some are involved with Smart Recovery, others are working their own program. I fall into the group of people working their own program. My own hybrid program consists of some 12-step material (I use Hazelton Daily Reflection books), occasional Smart Recovery f2f meetings, occasional visit to my shrink, daily meditation, journaling, personal study, nutrition/diet, fitness, medication (Campral) and soberrecovery.com. I have spent a lot of time inside AA meeting rooms over the past 20 years, but I eventually grew disenchanted with the program. It works for some, but not for all.

Check out the secular recovery section of this forum. Again, welcome and good luck on your continuing journey.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Welcome Sadie!

You will find many who do associate themselves with the AA/NA program and many who don't.... There's really no right or wrong way as long as we CAN stay clean & sober. I've done the route of AA in the past and found I still went out & drank/used. I've tried to conquer sobriety through my Christianity... still went out & drank. I am going to go back to both church & AA this time around after severely relapsing cuz I feel both for me, given that I surrender and I give it my all, can work. What I know does work no matter what is NOT PICKING UP THAT 1ST DRINK for me... then I don't get drunk and keep tormenting myself and my family who loves me. Just my thoughts on this. I recomment, however, checking out AA and any other suggestions one may have for you if choose.

Glad you're here!

Hugs!!!! :ghug3
Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is an open board Sadie Most are AA/NA but I don't do any programme as such.

Theres a forum for atheists and such like here too - go check it out!
Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

welcome!
D
Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your sober time...

1. This is a recovery community.. and
.not affliated with any specific program.
Yes...I do follow AA for my successful recovery.

2. I'm not an atheist....so I can't answer your question.
On the Forum several members mentioned...there is a
list in the stickie post for you to explore.

Glad your here with us..
Welcome to SR!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This is a wonderful place.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome to the site

I believe, there's a power that makes the Earth go around the sun.

I don't attend any church services.

There's nothing that says in AA you can't belong if, you don't believe in a God etc.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I use a mix of AA and Rational Recovery. I have a rather cosmic concept of a higher power. I do believe there's some order in the universe and a law of cause and effect. I do something recovery related every day. I make gratitude lists, I read recovery stories and keep in touch with my disease every day. And I do believe it's a disease.

SR helps me a lot. I love many of the people here. So many have a special place in my heart.

Once in a while, I go to an AA or NA meeting. I do read the Big Book from time to time. I have a lot of books on recovery and will reread them.

For me, there's more to recovery than just not drinking. It's about finding some peace within myself. I know I have to make right wrongs I have committed. It's part of reducing anxiety and guilt for me.

Hope this helps.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thank you all for being so welcoming and sharing! I spent sometime last night browsing the forums and I think this is a wonderful community! Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Sadie! I don't utilize aa as a means for sobriety...Why you asked...because I already have a religion. I don't believe religion and sobriety need to be connected. I choose to take personal responsibility to combat my addiction to alcohol. Took me a long time to realize that not drinking was entirely up to me. Best of luck and keep posting!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family, Sadie!

Congratulations on your sober time!

Make yourself at home and post and read as much as you'd like.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a wonderful place for support. Keep coming back and gather strength from our stories of recovery. Read and post as you feel the need.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 01-18-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Sadie, I'm new here (day 3) so I don't feel that I can contribute too much to your questions. I'm not a believer although I respect all that are. Like bugsworth, my drinking is up to me and the only help I expect to receive is from within, the support from the good people here, my friends, my partner and family. I don't feel the need to seek divine intervention. No AA plans for me, at least not yet. My "program" is under consideration with help from a professional counselor.

Best of luck to you.