Notices

I can't believe I'm not drinking on a Saturday night.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't believe I'm not drinking on a Saturday night.

Hi all,

I'm not sure what to say, so I guess I'll just tell you how I came about to be posting on this board tonight.

I've been drinking for well over 20 years. I used to do it casually at parties and such, and then eventually I became a weekend warrior. I would put away about a case a day on Saturdays and Sundays, not to mention how much I drank on Fridays. I figured it was ok because I wasn't drinking during the week.

Then I convinced myself that the weekend actually starts on Thursday nights because Fridays are easy to handle hung over. I did that for years until I reached the point where I didn't feel all that bad on Friday mornings. So I figured I could have some beers on Monday while watching Monday Night Football. Before I knew it, I was drinking more than 10 beers every night. I've managed to be successful at work through it all somehow which kept me doing it.

I've been drinking every night like that for several years. I honestly can't remember the last time I didn't drink.

Over the past year and a half or so, I started to develop intention tremors. I ignored it because I knew what was at the heart of it, and I didn't want to stop drinking. People would notice it and I would lie to them saying that it happens when I drink caffeine. I would say that even if all I drank that day was water.

I finally had enough and knew I needed to turn my life and health around. A week ago last Thursday I finally went to a doctor. He gave me blood and urine tests. I knew what the results would eventually show, so I decided to make last weekend my last hurrah. I told myself that I would stop drinking on Sunday right after the Philadelphia Eagles game ended. I did. I haven't had a drink since.

The results of my tests came back Thursday showing that I have an enlarged liver and high cholesterol. I go for an ultrasound on my liver this upcoming Thursday to see the extent of it. I'm not sure what the future of my health has in store.

This is my first weekend of not drinking and it hasn't been very easy. I currently live with my brother who is also an alcoholic though he doesn't want to do anything about it yet. I know exactly how he feels and I won't say anything to him since I know he will have to come to his own terms with it. It's a strange feeling watching him drink. I envy him and feel sorry for him at the same time.

I've felt pretty good this week without drinking, but I'm definitely afraid of not committing to it. I just can't imagine being sober every weekend or going on vacation without drinking.

I know I shouldn't think that far ahead and stick with the 24 hour theory, but at this young point in my sobriety, it's in my head.

I can't wait to get to Monday and have a week in the books. It's going to be a struggle for me and I'm glad I found this place to give me strength.

Thanks for listening if you managed to get through all of that. LOL.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am so glad that you have decided to live a sober life and that you are working on getting through the weekend sober.

You know none of us know what our health will be like tomorrow, or next month, or next year. Right now today, you are okay and you're sober, and that's a good thing.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Eagles. I am new at this too and my story is similar to yours. It is great thqat you made the decision and believe me I have the same concerns as you do especially about holidays but we made the decision and we will make it happen. Good luck you can do it if you want to.
There is plenty of support here so come over often and post. Someone will always have a word of encouragement. We are the class of January, you and me, so follow that thread. A lot of us newbs check in and post there everyday. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad you are here.
There is alot of support and info here.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too am a newbie. Welcome Eagles. I can honestly tell you that if this site and these people were not now a part of my life that I would be drinking tonight. Keep coming back. Maybe your sobriety will help your brother to stop drinking.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome eagles...glad u are here! keep coming back...great site..great people!!

Good luck to you!!
Lisa
Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Maybe your sobriety will help your brother to stop drinking.
That is what I am hoping for as well.

Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome, everyone!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome

Lots of us will spend Saturday night sober just like you, and it's totally ok!!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go Eagle. This is my first Saturday night sober in years. It's not that easy but I also can't wait till Monday just to say I had a sober weekend. I hope we hear from you Monday.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello fellow Eagles fan!! You are in the right place... Keep posting here. You can make it to Monday, but... one day at a time. I know what you are going to be doing tomorrow at 3:00...

Fly, Eagles, Fly !!!

Good luck, you never have to drink again.

Mark
Old 01-17-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
I know what you are going to be doing tomorrow at 3:00...

Fly, Eagles, Fly !!!
Hell yeah! Go birds!!!

Getting through tomorrow will be easy since the Eagles will occupy my time/mind.

Glad to see another Eagles fan here.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Resident

Things could be worse. You could be a Toronto Maple Leaf's fan. Noe that is enough to make anyone want to drink. I am fortunate to not be a hockey fan.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dismember

You get used to it! You start being productive, picking up hobbies, all this crazy stuff

And makes for much nicer Sunday mornings.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, from this Giants fan who lives in Ravens territory - welcome Eagles Fan! It's great to see you here. I know how hard it is to avoid temptation this time of year - congratulations on your decision to stop the insanity. I guarantee SR can make a difference. I drank heavily for over 25 years & until I came here I didn't have the tools I needed to get well. I was so thankful to find a place where I wasn't considered strange, weak, or immoral. Everyone understood! It was very important to me to be able to talk about all the feelings I'd had bottled up for so long. I don't know any other alcoholics & no one else in my family seems to have the curse! Anyways, have a great time watching the games - you can feel all superior afterwards, no hangover, no remorse. Wishing you the best, & keep talking to us.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Glad you found us!

We're open 24/7, doesn't cost any money to join and the best part is, you can post in your jammies!

Seriously, One Day at A Time and Keep it Simple.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

and welcome!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Eagles Fan! I'll be rooting for your team tomorrow along with you...Sober =) Good for you for taking this important step. You are already doing well, one day at a time is all you can focus on.

Hope to keep seeing you around~
Old 01-18-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Eagles Fan!

Originally Posted by Eagles Fan View Post
I just can't imagine being sober every weekend or going on vacation without drinking.

I know I shouldn't think that far ahead and stick with the 24 hour theory, but at this young point in my sobriety, it's in my head.
This was a hard one for me to. I just keep short goals, 1 week, 2 weeks, now I am aiming for 3 weeks. Remember, everyday you stay sober, your staying healthy.

This place is great, I could not have done it without SR. Keep posting!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family EF!

Also, welcome to a sober Sunday! Sobriety rocks!!

When I found this site, I found the following link posted under Alcoholism as a sticky. I read these excerpts from the book "Under the Influence" and then I bought the book. This book and the newer one "Beyond the Influence" helped me to understand how my entire mind, body and soul had become addicted to alcohol. Knowledge gave me the power to stop the cycle. Here's the link:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I am married to my drinking partner of 14 years. He still drinks. There are others of us on SR that still maintain our sobriety while alcohol is still being consumed in our home. You can do this and we are here to support you.

Read and post as much as you need!