Notices

Not the Big Book, but Helpful Books Nonetheless

Old 01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

TSH...If all I can do is give my body 10 years off from abuse, that is better than giving it non-stop abuse. I look at it, the longer I can go without drinking, the more time I just added to my life.

I have read "Goodbye Hangovers, Hello Life" by Jean Kirkpatrick. It has been a while since I have read it, but I need to read it again. It is a self-help booked for women, and about her journey. It reinforces the reasons not to drink.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ive read stats like those before (and even worse).

5% ive read is the rate of successful recovery but as everyone above has said any time spent sober is valuable.

Plus you have got to believe you are one of those 5-10% of people or else you can't give it your all.

What I did is stop reading bs studies, you can manipulate numbers any way you want to.

Hope you feel better tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I just finished Terry: my daughters life and death struggle with alcoholism by George McGovern. Its about his daughters fight with alcoholism. He writes about her life and death. Very sad, but very good reading. The way he writes about his daughter will tug at your heart. Very compelling story.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I"m enjoying reading this thread and all the wonderful book suggestions. I plan on picking up Moments of Clarity by Christopher Kennedy Lawford and was trying to think of what else to get that could help. Thanks to this thread I now have lots of ideas =)

TSH~ I always enjoy reading your posts. You have 110 days sober and that is very inspiring to me. You are absolutely right this disease is no picnic but as long as we keep learning and talking about it and helping one another, I think there is a lot of hope. I see that light at the end of the tunnel and I no longer think it's a train coming to run me over =) Keep it up Sweetie, you are doing amazing!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

5 People You Meet In Heaven,I just started it.

other books I enjoyed
For Sinners Only by A.J.Russel
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
The Journeys of Socrates by Dan Millman
The Wisdom of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
The Sermon On The Mount by Emmet Fox
Ann`s Smith Diary
I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes by Glenn Clark
Pilgrims Progress
Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis
Old 01-18-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

5 People You Meet in Heaven is a great book. Have a box of Kleenex handy.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

TSH: I would love to have your days sober: what a wonderful gift to yourself and your body. If I can go 10 years without drinking, I will be a different person, a happier person, a healthier person, and a nicer one too.

Thanks for making me think about this, for helping me to focus on the good of sobriety rather than the fear of relapsing.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
6/20/08

TSH.........because being sober is a hell of a lot better than being a drunk. You know that.

I've never understood all of these statistics....for example, no one knew I was alcoholic....I WILL stay sober. I say there are a lot of people like me (us) out there....we don't get counted because we're quiet! Think of us as the silent majority.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Wow, now I feel like a huge downer for even posting that earlier. It just really got to me when I was reading it, ya know?

I didn't really MEAN that comment about "wasting" 10 years not drinking... that's why I said that's what the addicted part of my brain says. I know better!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Like Coffeenut said, 'Dry' by Augusten Burroughs is a great one.
LOVED The Tender Bar!

I have A New Earth but for some reason I'm having a really hard time getting into it. Must be that ADD!

Some of the ones mentioned sound really good, thanks for posting this NewLeaf!