Notices

Running / walking / fitness for sobriety.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
Really, REALLY great to see people exercising....
If the only benefit was JUST getting through a craving... I'd still do it. The other benefits are nice too.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

1 hour of cardio, free weights for upper body.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

18.44 miles in 1hr 16 min. Avg hr 130 peak 160. 1300 cal burn. Tried for 30, but God caught me thinking about stopping for cigs and smote me with a flat. Walk home in biking shoes not fun.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Just started smoking butts. I am not an addict. I am not an addict. (yeah right)
Old 09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Smoking... ugh... I'm glad you have the money for that...

6 mile run in the sun for fun.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Did nothing yesterday as I was feeling pretty bad. I'd been having stomach cramps then night sweats and woke up feeling weak and feverish. So I gave Wednesday a miss.

Today, Thursday, I wasn't feeling much better but I decided to go to the gym (I hate missing 2 days in a row).

I was half way through my 10k run and struggling when an atractive woman started running on the machine in front of mine. Strangely I flew through the rest of my run.

I managed to do more chin ups, both continuously and as part of my pyramid routine, than I'd ever done since joining the gym just under 2 years ago. Feel pretty pleased.

Feel good now. I seemed to have sweated the sickness out of me.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Thursday afternoon 6 mile run, love this weather.

Fall in all of its beauty is the best season for me.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

"an attractive woman started running on the machine in front of mine. Strangely I flew through the rest of my run"

Hmmm. Those strange creature that have the ability to both inspire and destroy us.

Came across the ASU girls cycling team doing group training while I was doing a run solo a while ago. Kept up for awhile.. and dropped off as my heart rate monitor started hitting 190.
Inspiration to quit cigs.... Need to channel it. Here's to clean living and dirty thoughts!!

Hope the bod is feeling better Mid.... I went through a period where in retrospect I KNOW I was over training. Had some physical pain, digestive issues, and wasn't getting stronger. Gave myself a month of (thanks to a broken collarbone) and recalibrated based on "perceived exertion" criteria. Seemed to work for me.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Elegantly, I should have read your post before exercising this morning. I tend to have a habit of overdoing things, that's why I'm posting on this site I suppose.

I've been running at a pace of 1k every 6 minutes. It's a comfortable pace, easy really, but it gets my heart going and is quite a pleasant pace to run at. Today I increased it to 5:42 per 1k and ran for just over an hour. Physically it wasn't so hard but, for me, it's more difficult to enjoy the run at anything over 10K/hour. Last year I kind of burnt myself out by running for almost 2 hours and gradually increasing the pace to under 5 min/1k.

I finished up with my chin up and weights routine and it went really well. Since I've quit drinking (day 27) I'm really feeling stronger.

Shockingly my weight has yet again increased. Yesterday I was 79.4 kg and today it was 80.2kg. I normally weigh myself right after I shower and wearing a wet towel so hopefully the wetness of the towel is affecting this.

I should add many years ago I was at Iowa State University and I used to workout at a small gym/pool near my dorm. I don't think anyone knew it was there. It was always empty apart from the ISU cheerleaders who would use it on a regualr basis. Sheer bliss.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Mid... Maybe you are offsetting fat weight with muscle gain?

Last night... 22.81 miles. At avg of 14.5 mph; Top speed 27 mph... Approx cal. burn 1400.
This morning... 10.22 mi in 44 min. approx. 14 mph; Top speed 20... Approx cal. burn 530. Min hr 84, max 151, avg 122.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

back on track with the training for the next Marathon or 1/2 Feels good
Old 09-04-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

"Mid... Maybe you are offsetting fat weight with muscle gain?" I agree.

Friday afternoon 25 hole walk on the golf course.

Nice weather.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

I've read several recent pages of posts here and you people are all working out at a level beyond what I think I can get too. Now that doesn't really bother me since I see my fitness as an individual thing, but I'm curious as to how old you guys are. I just turned 53. Are you guys just a lot younger than me? Or am I just depressingly out of shape?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

still doing the bike 45 mins each morning had to go up a level...exercise is great! I'm 38 and it sounds like running with Tommy, nogard or Elegantly would kill me lol maybe in a few months;-) Any exercise is good zebra, building up over time:-)
Old 09-04-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Takes time!

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I've read several recent pages of posts here and you people are all working out at a level beyond what I think I can get too. Now that doesn't really bother me since I see my fitness as an individual thing, but I'm curious as to how old you guys are. I just turned 53. Are you guys just a lot younger than me? Or am I just depressingly out of shape?
I'm 32 and in far better shape than I was at 16, 18, 25 etc... I can run 10 miles in relative comfort and I prefer routes with lots of hills. I also bike ALOT. I've been biking for about a year now and my endurance has been extended 3 fold since I began. I added running 2 months ago to change up routines and prevent boredom. I started running 5 miles on my first run only because I biked so much that I was already able to run a good distance.

I really didnt get into exercise until last year when I was desperate for a "healthy buzz" for a change. I was in rough shape when I started (felt like a busted wheel barrow) so anyone who can walk can eventually get a decent workout with patience and time.

I also have issues with moderation LOL. 22+ mile biking yesterday and it was a beautiful day!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
Shockingly my weight has yet again increased. Yesterday I was 79.4 kg and today it was 80.2kg.
If you drink lots of water during and following a workout then yes it can happen. Water weighs something like 8 lbs per gallon.

I'm 7 lbs heavier than I was a year ago yet my pants are looser and my liver is smaller. Definitely better shape now!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Saturday afternoon 5.5 mile run, stellar day, awesome run.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

I was 42 in August. I have done cardio my whole life but only started weights about 2 years ago. Doing it now in my sober state has given me a bounce in my step that I honestly haven't had in 20 years.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by c49999 View Post
If you drink lots of water during and following a workout then yes it can happen. Water weighs something like 8 lbs per gallon.

I'm 7 lbs heavier than I was a year ago yet my pants are looser and my liver is smaller. Definitely better shape now!
I usually drink around a half a sports drink while I'm running. Then I spend an hour on weights and I drink the other half as well as one of those cyclist's plastic containers of water.

Although I'm complaining about gaining weight I am certainly gaining muscle as people in the gym whom I'd never spoken to before are mentioning it to me. I have also moved down a notch in my belt. Just wish I could get rid of the love handles.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Zebra.. "a level beyond what I think I can get too", "I just turned 53".

Welcome... As best I can figure out; Blame Tommy for starting this thread. Seriously, we seem to have fun posting what we have done here and drawing inspiration from others posts. Age 37. I started cycling over a year ago and could barely do 10 miles after going through a divorce and letting my mind body unit atrophy. Since then have logged in over 8,000 miles on the bike and have gone from 194 lbs to 165 lbs. Resting heart rate has dropped from about 75 bpm to 50 bpm. 52 is barely middle age in my book. My Dad's friend (mid 60's) does a century (100 mile ride) every month. Again; welcome to this thread.

Mid.. "79.4 kg and today it was 80.2kg"... I've noticed that my weight yo-yos from 162 to 170 fairly regularly; within a 24 hr period. Weighing myself after a ride (water weight loss and empty stomach) is the low number. After a full meal and fully hydrated is the latter. I was a little freaked out by this at first, but have come to realize it is perfectly healthy. Maybe try comparing your weight on a week to week basis under identical conditions would be the way to more accurately track what is going on??? My hunch is that your are gaining muscle weight faster than you are loosing fat weight.

Last 2 days rides to and from GFs. 10 miles.

AM training ride today...
3 mile warm up, 15 min. Light stretch.

82 to 85 degrees F. Most people I've seen exercising on the road/ paths in the last 3 months!! Humid for Phoenix; sweat actually sticks to the body.

1 hr. 58 min ride time. Approx 15 mph. Min HR 99, Peak 161, Avg 131. Total cal burn 1550. Top Speed 33.3 (downhill).

Happy Labor Day All!