Notices

Running / walking / fitness for sobriety.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

(Wooooo hoooo! People getting involved with fitness, loving that...! )

Superbowl Sunday, February 1st, sunny, sunny, snowblind!

Ahhhhh... 36F degree h-e-a-t-w-a-v-e... lol!

5 mile run, total sweatfest.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Not a runner, but used to play soccer and race mountain bikes...thinking about picking both up again.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I walked 4 miles yesterday and getting ready for another 4 today!

I am considering doing a triathlon in August. 1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike ride and a 3 mile run...I signed my 14 year old daughter up for it. I have 7 months to train!!! I have never done anything like that...anyone have experience with one?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Resident

Good idea geoff. Make sure you wear that helmet when you mountain bike.
Heck yhat is what my wife used to say when I was rushing out to go drinking and it wasn't in a kind joking way.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Make sure you wear that helmet when you mountain bike.
Heck yhat is what my wife used to say when I was rushing out to go drinking and it wasn't in a kind joking way.
Definitely, I've had my fair share of crashes.

Haha, at my worst I could've probably used a helmet and some body protection; would wake up in the morning with some bruise/ gash and no idea how it happened.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hey all-you-all!

After eating all the wonderful not-so-healthy food yesterday at the SuperBowl Party, I'm getting out of here to do some serious running then come home and work my butt off -- hopefully literally!

I'm down to 6 cigs a day (don't want to seriously smoke when I'm not drinking) and am hoping to taper off completely by March 1st! I hate smoking! I hate the smell and everything about it! I've become a "closet" smoker because I'm too ashamed of puffing down one of those cancer sticks and having someone see me -- It's sooo unattractive, not to mention stupid!

So on a better note.... Good job to all of us who are striving for fitness, wellness and sober health in our lives! We are making such strides in comparison to our using and drinking days, huh?!!! Enjoy life!

xoxox
Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

I am so proud. I inline skated 15 miles yesterday. Now I have decided to train for a marathon (26 miles) wish me luck folks. This will be my 4th! I did the others while still an alcoholic and now that I am not? The sky is the limit!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

You're going to skate the marathon? Cool idea, I like it.

February 2, 30F degrees, sunny, 5 mile run.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Ok I'm not hardcore (yet!), its snowing here so no outside exercisefor me. Done 30 mins cardio on cross trainer and some exercises in the house.Really starting to enjoy working out again and am beginning to look forward to working out in the same way I looked forward to a drink/joint!

Nickishine : I'm a so with you on the smoking thing, I hate it just now but don't think I can remove that crutch at the moment. I'm now smoking between 15 and 20 a day and like you hate the smell, taste etc. I only smoked cigarettes when I was drinking apart from that it was joints the rest of the time!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Annnnnnnnnd, wouldn't it be great if this became a permanent thread? Someplace to post on a daily basis what physical exercise we have achieved. I know most of recovery is within the mind but exercise sure does help!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SummerSkye View Post
Annnnnnnnnd, wouldn't it be great if this became a permanent thread? Someplace to post on a daily basis what physical exercise we have achieved. I know most of recovery is within the mind but exercise sure does help!
I think that is a great idea. I know that once I get really into exercising it gets addicting. A much better addiction that the drinking!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hey Tommy,
Not just skate! Race!! On these!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Very fast walk for 30 mins and 15mins on x trainer. Needed this head is not in a good place today damn it!!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I'm worn out just reading this. I walk half an hour a day and do 100 steps on my machine, and I'm all done. But I just bought an iPod nano with what I used to spend on drink in a week. Thought I deserved a reward for getting one thing right!

The idea is to put audio-books on it for when I build up to long runs At this particular moment in time, that sounds highly unlikely!!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

One step at a time, one day at a time.

15 years ago I convinced myself that I couldn't run anymore, my legs just couldn't take it.

I was lying to myself. (Just like when I thought I had to drink to feel alive actually.)

One day I started out with a less than one mile jog, VERY slow pace.

The next day my whole body hurt. I waited two days and did it again.

Fast forward - I ran 5 miles the last 3 days in a row and took today off just because it's probably a good idea to rest a day. But there were two times today I almost suited up and went out running.

As it is... I'm REALLY looking forward to tomorrow morning. I'm gonna RUNNNNN...!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Wednesday, February 4th, 17F degrees, 5 mile run.

Morning run before work, feels good to know I already accomplished something very important today. Even if nothing else goes right today (which won't be the case) I got my run in.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I've always known that excersize is a great tool in staying sober. When I work out I have absolutely NO desire to drink! It's odd how the craving is just lost. Like mentioned earlier, the natural high is much better than any drunken night. Instead of intaking lots of calories and waking up feeling awful, I sleep well and wake up well rested!

I just recently joined a gym again and am in the process of becoming ADDICTED! This is one instance in which I appreciate my "addictive personality." It has healthy results! I honestly sit at work EXCITED for the moment I can go home, change, and go workout.

I find it amazing you manage to run out in the snow, tommy! Dannggg...I personally don't think I could withstand the cold! Keep up the amazing work!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thursday, February 5, 2009: 5 mile run, 8F degrees.

Really hard run this morning, not due to the cold, but I just felt like I had to grind it out the whole way. It didn't 'flow' and it wasn't smooth.

I had to dig deep to find whatever it took to finish the whole run and not take a shortcut back home.

Now that it is over I'm glad I didn't cut it short.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Tommy K you have inspired me thanks...
Old 02-05-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

OK Folks,
just got back from Golds gym and did 45 min on the eliptical. I am so tired right now and in need of a big nap! Naptime!