Notices

Running / walking / fitness for sobriety.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I've always been a walker, but it's not helping me anymore with my weight and fitness goals. So I joined a gym last week AND hired a personal trainer for 3 months. Cost me a small fortune... more than I've ever spent on an item by myself. I needed the trainer cause I can't do it by myself, I've tried. I have the treadmil, eliptical & weights in my house collecting dust. Now I'm held accountable with my trainer. I trained for the 1st time this morning, and although I was sweating and gasping for breath, I feel EXHILERATED now! I know it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. IMO this can be very helpful for all of you out there with alcohol and/or dependence problems. You will be doing something wonderful for your body, mind and health! You'll feel more positive, more in control and energized. xo, hippychicky
PS- Came home after the gym and tanned by the pool, 78 degrees and sunny in central Florida!!! Weeeeeee!

Last edited by hippychicky; 01-26-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: add PS
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Resident

Way to go Hippy. Good to see you again. How often do you have a session with the trainer? I do the gym 5 days a week again but haven't lost much weight since I have developed a shocolate addiction. I actually gained a pound this week so I am quitting chocolates too. This is day 1 without chocolates. Wysh me luck.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

WOW... the temperature shot all of the way up to 19F degrees, lol.

So even though I wasn't going to run today, I ran anyhow.

5 miles... beautiful bright sunny day!!!

Life is GREAT....
Old 01-27-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Way to go Hippy. Good to see you again. How often do you have a session with the trainer? I do the gym 5 days a week again but haven't lost much weight since I have developed a shocolate addiction. I actually gained a pound this week so I am quitting chocolates too. This is day 1 without chocolates. Wysh me luck.
I'll do M-W-F and walk or bike on my off days. Just think how great you'll look and feel if you don't eat chocolate. I'm determined to wear my brand new Baby Phat string bikini in 2 months, AND my vintage Levi's that I can't squeeze my fat azz into now. Find your motivation and have a reward in sight....and DON'T keep the chocolates in the house! The more candy/sugar you eat, the more you'll crave. Keep sweet fruits in the fridge instead. Good luck. xo, hippychicky
Old 01-27-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hey Tommy and Hippy! You guys are doing great. I am feeling fab too. I went to the gym yesterday and spent an hour on the eliptical machine. I too have a complete workout room with a treadmill, bike, weight bench, free weights etc.. I don't use it that much only because I like outdoors or the gym better.

I love skating, running cycling, and I also like the gym because of the atmosphere. Sometimes I like to dance. I have a dance floor in my house! (call me crazy). As a sidenote, I must say we have many parties and to my credit I have not had a drink at any of them this year. Who wants to be the drunkin hostess anyway? I am very proud of myself!

Last night I pulled my exercise bike up in front of the big (65 inch) TV. Today I need to get some batteries for it and I have decided that due to rainy weather, I am going to watch the Aussie Open and cycle!!! Wish me luck.

Tommyk you really are an inspiration to us all! Let's keep up this thread. I have been following your routine. Please keep it up!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Its way too cold here for me to go out and walk. About 2 degrees...I guess I better pull out some of those exercise DVDs and get busy.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Its way too cold here for me to go out and walk. About 2 degrees...I guess I better pull out some of those exercise DVDs and get busy.
Good for you! You will feel amazing and so proud of yourself. Just do what you can, it's a start.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Good for you bro. I do believe that exercise, i.e. getting those endorphins moving is a huge part of recovery, both in healing the brain from previous damage, and as a natural antidepressant (we can get really emotionally tangles in sobriety, esp. early sobriety)
Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

yesterday i ran about 2 miles, then did pull ups, sit ups, and small hurdle jumps. power yoga tomorrow! it's alllllllllmost vinyasa time!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

I recently quit smoking and have found that exercise is amazing.
Every time I have an awful craving, I add five minutes onto my workout!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Wednesday January 28th (I'm going to remember this one forever, lol!)

5 mile run in total whiteout/blizzard conditions, 23F degrees.

Absolutely amazing run, hardly any traffic, no bare pavement at all, deep snow in many places, much of the time I was laughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath.

Very physically demanding, I never knew how 'easy' it was to run on dry pavement, lol.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

(WOW, it was a REALLY good workout today, like running in sand, pumping hard getting nowhere... lol.)

Thursday, Jan 19th, 5 miles, 19F degrees... can't feel the cold, it isn't even there.

It is SOOOOO freaking hard to run in the snow that I was soaked with sweat after the first mile and hot inside my clothing like a furnace throughout the entire run.

NO problem sleeping at night.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Saturday, January 31 - 5 miles, 9F degrees.

Not a difficult run, most of the snow has been plowed flat, too cold to be slippery so footing wasn't an issue. I could do long strides most of the way, even some speed sprints in a few places.

My desire on New Year's Day was to get in a 4.7 miles run every other day or so, weather permitting. Today makes January's 16th run, that equates to every other day, with even more distance than intended. Weather has not been a factor. Mission accomplished.

February here I come....!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

TommyK,

About 5 days ago I was reminded of this thread and donned my sweats and tennies (and dog), stretched, then out the door I went. Now I'm "addicted"... thanks in part to you! I also have a home gym that has been sitting in the spare bedroom collecting dust for 2 years! Not anymore! I do 3 sets of everything I do on there, 2x a day! No problem sleeping for this, gal!

The natural rush (endorphines, etc.) that come from a good workout is awesome! What a great "natural" drug, huh!!!? Hopefully I can continue on with this lifestyle as I'm really likin' it! I can fit into some really NICE jeans now that I was unable to for 1 1/2! Yea! Sobriety and exercise is awesome!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Right on nickishine! Working out is the best thing for us. Now that I joined the gym and have a personal trainer, there is now way I can drink during the week... I'd never make it to the gym at 8:30 am! I trained my butt off all week and didn't crave the alcohol like I have in the past. Getting strong now....
Old 01-31-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Resident

Way to go Hippy. You are going to be too hot for your SO to handle if you keep this up.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Way to go Tommy! I run 3 miles six days a week
and play floor hockey once a week. It feels great.

The cardio and sweating out those toxins.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Walked 8 miles today, loved it! Beautiful scenery and weather was good for walking
Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Wow Tommy, serious respect to you running in the snow. I only managed 4 miles today and had to give in as it is is so cold, rainy and windy. Still that is a completely different Sunday to the one I used to experience when drinking so its all good!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
I'm a tough girl.

"When you find out you can live without it, and go along not thinkin' about it,
I'll tell you something true... the bear nessesities of life will come to you!"
Baloo the Bear- from Disney's Jungle Book