Notices

Feeling Blue

Old 01-11-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Feeling Blue

One of the things i struggle with as far as quitting drinking goes is that when i start feeling down i want to drink soooo badly. thats basically why i started abusing drugs and alcohol in the first place. im normally not tempted to drink when alcohol is around under normal circumstances. its always when im stressed or not feeling too good that i am tempted because i always used to just blast those feelings away with drugs and alcohol.

So, basically ive been trying to come up with a few things to help myself when i feel like this. Heres what i came up with so far. feel free to add what helps you as well.

- listen to music
- watch a funny show on tv
- work out
- go for a walk
- read some posts on SR
Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by inoishudbdead View Post
One of the things i struggle with as far as quitting drinking goes is that when i start feeling down i want to drink soooo badly. thats basically why i started abusing drugs and alcohol in the first place. i dont mind being around drugs and alcohol under normal circumstances. its always when im stressed or not feeling too good that i am tempted because i always used to just blast those feelings away with drugs and alcohol.

So, basically ive been trying to come up with a few things to help myself when i feel like this. Heres what i came up with so far. feel free to add what helps you as well.

- listen to music
- watch a funny show on tv
- work out
- go for a walk
- read some posts on SR
Ah, not sure what normal is for you, we all have different norms, but do you honestly think being around drugs and alcohol is a good idea if you're serious about recovery?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well like ill still go shoot pool with my friends at the pool hall nt hey might have a few drinks, or ill go over to a friends place on a friday or saturday night and they might be drinking. alcohol is pretty much unavoidable, you see it everywhere, you cant watch tv without seeing it.

and i am serious about recovery. i wouldnt be on here if i wasnt. if i was to not spend time with my friends whenever alcohol or drugs were around i would be isolated and left out a lot of the time. for me personally i would find it a lot harder if i wasnt able to spend a lot of time with my friends.

also "normal" for me is just feeling content.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Read a book,
Take a class,
Go to church, synogogue, mosque...
Exercise,
Swim,
Bake,
Cook,
Garden,
Can,
Clean out that closet!
Meditate,
Pray,
Fix something around the house,
Paint,
For a few ideas...

Shalom!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

What I have noticed is that seeing your feelings on paper, especially when I come back to what I wrote when I felt that way, creates a better understanding of myself.

And ride out those feelings, accept them for what they are. We are human. Easier said than done, I know. I struggle sometimes.

I need to start a new journal.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Originally Posted by inoishudbdead View Post
and i am serious about recovery. i wouldnt be on here if i wasnt. if i was to not spend time with my friends whenever alcohol or drugs were around i would be isolated and left out a lot of the time. for me personally i would find it a lot harder if i wasnt able to spend a lot of time with my friends.
What I have found, like many others in recovery, is that people who have stayed sober for a long time have been very consious about not putting themselves in situations that will compromise their sobriety.

Take care of you. That is most important.