Notices

Dry Drunk

Old 01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dry Drunk

Hi. I am new to this site. I have been a dry drunk for 5 years.I started my recovery strong then the old feelings came back...insecurity,shame,and the millions of other ones! I want to go to a meeting,do my steps(I did not finish)and do the normal way,but Ijust cant get to that point!!! After spending time with my family this past sunday( I made everyone Miserable)I realize I needto get back to meetings and do my thing...just need some encouragement:praying
Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on your decision to make a better life for yourself.

Something that helps me not be so negative is doing a gratitude list. I think about things to add to the list every day and it keeps me looking at the good things in my life and not getting wrapped up in the negative.

Meetings and a sponsor are good things! For me, recovery is about living a good and happy life.

Good luck and keep coming back to SR. It's helped me so much. Great people here for support!

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you...... recovery is supposed to be happy and that is what I want. I will try the list and keep coming back .
Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mjptwo - I am wishing you the happiness you deserve! If you are someone who gains inspiration from reading, there is a wonderful book of daily mediations called The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie. It really addresses letting go of the sadness and shame and letting in the light.

Good luck to you!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there

Go for it! Sounds like you are very much ready! I did the dry drunk thing too many times to count, although 5 years is amazing, and was totally miserable everytime!

Good luck and keep posting:-)
Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community ...

Well done on your sober years
Old 01-06-2009, 03:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

mjptwo....hi and welcome..

I can very much relate to realizing that being sober was vastly more than that.

Quiet quickly i realized that i wasnt gonna survive without constant therapy..ie step work and AA meeting.
I CANT just stay sober alone .........ive tried it for a while and guess what...

im.........miserable.....unpredictable........agre ssive........depressed........lazy......and to be blunt.......a royal pain in the backside to everyone around me..

In the beginning i thought maybe the steps are for "everyone" else..only everyone else seemed happier and more content than me!

I got a sponsor.......a big book and dived in.....then and ONLY then did my life start to have a new meaning and life started to feel good sober..

go for it.....you will be amazed..............trucker
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The getting going is the hardest part. To go to a meeting and get outside myself seems sooo hard! I know I need to because all of the stuff Trucker pointed out has to end.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Getting 'outside yourself' is hard at first, but gets easier. Meetings can be a source of inspiration too, seeing how others stayed sober, often in the face of great troubles. Don't give up, keep trying. Congrats on your sober years and welcome!:ghug3
Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When it hurts enough...........your go.
Thing is your getting a bum deal..................you remain sober and dont get ALL the benifits that you could..
Hand on heart my friend..............im more content and at peace than i was BEFORE i even started drinking. for today.
When that first bunch got together and wrote the steps...they knew that it wasnt enough to just stay sober.........and they were so right.....imo.
Put away that big stick you are beating yourself with my friend...
Bottom line is you got sober...........thousands of people cant do that....and die trying..
You have identified the problem................you know the solution...
It will come with time imo.............god be with you............trucker.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank You......I let go of the stick and im going to a meeting tonight..I will let you know how I did
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

way to go my friend.....a new beginning.