Notices

Feeling Overwhelmed- help!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Overwhelmed- help!

First let me say I am determined to live and thrive sober in 2009. I am only on day 2 and as I sit at my desk and see all the work I let slide due to my drinking, and think of all the responsibilities at home I have also let slide I am feeling incredibly overwhelmed. I drank to escape and now that I am facing the situations I have created I am scared. I just want to go back to bed and crawl under the covers. I know in my heart that things will improve. I have stopped digging myself into the hole and I know that is the first step. But it feels like a lot to face without my old crutch alcohol. Of course my 'crutch' was actually my shovel.

Anyway, feeling wobbly and welcoming any prayers and/or good thoughts of support.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Of course my 'crutch' was actually my shovel." Spot on! You have these things that overwhelm you because of the escapism and now comes the time when we lift the sheet and peer out. Break things down so they don't seem so overwhelming. I get overwhelmed easily too, but am learning how to make things into smaller jobs and that's helped me. You've got my positive thoughts heading to Oregon and will be on your doorstep pronto.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

snowdog,

Just do one thing at a time. Breathe. Don't overwhelm yourself. Baby steps.

You'll get there!

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi snowdog

Stay strong and sober and things will inevitably get better:-)
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree. Start small. Break your tasks down into smaller bits and tackle one at a time. Breathe. You can get thru this. Anxiety is heightened when coming off alcohol. It takes a while for the brain to 'reset' itself correctly. It will get better!:ghug3
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SnowDog~ It always helps me to make a list and prioritize. Figure out what is due first, second and so on. Write it down and write the due date down next to it, then just work your way down the list. Don't stress yourself out Sweetie, it will get done. I too find myself looking at all I let slip and feel overwhelmed. Just remember you are healing and it takes time. Be Kind to yourself :ghug3 (Trust me, I'm working on that myself!)
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

~SnowDog~ BTW, I've been DYING to ask, is that your puppy in your avatar? I adore Goldens and every time I look at your pic it makes me smile =)
Old 01-05-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and good advice! Deep breaths!! I must remember to breathe.

Mariposa, I have a golden/chow mix who is a 13 year old sweetie, but that is not her in the photo. The day I joined this site we were having a major snow storm (rare for my area) and I had been out in the snow with my 'babies'. (I also have a springer spaniel). I found the photo on the internet and it seemed perfect.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Snowdog,

It is a lot to deal with and I think it's normal to feel overwhelmed in early recovery.

I had a lot of stuff to deal with and no tools, no real experience, on how to get through life. But, you can do it. You will learn and thrive in 2009.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes - 2009 new beginnings. Prayers, support and love to you snowdog. Good to have you here.

I also am hoping and praying for a sober 2009. kindbird
Old 01-05-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

~Snow~ I gotcha =) Well your Doggy must be adorable because those are both very cute breeds! So are Spaniels (can you tell I love Dogs! lol) I have a Miniature Australian Shepherd and love the fact that he looks and feels like a stuffed animal! lol So soft and cuddly, I love him =)
Old 01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Snowdog, good for you in making this great decision for yourself. I know what you mean as far as getting overwhelmed. I am bad at that even sober. I guess I have to remind myself that I only have today, and can only do what I can today. Easier said than done, I know. But trying to stay in that frame of mind does help.

Hey, it may be wobbly, but you are living and changing! That's a great thing.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Snowdog,
I am only on 5 days but this group have really helped me.
Just do what you can mate, chip away.
Best wishes
Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Its funny you should post this.
I was just coming home from paying another late bill. And thinking..I have really screwed things up. I am going to be on such a tight tight budget and deadline for awhile.

But like you said..The digging has stopped.

It is alot at first glance. Hell..Who am I kiddin..It's alot which ever way you look at it. But it isnt impossible.

Just take things as they come. Be patient and most of all be grateful. It could be worse.
Thats what I have to tell myself everyday.

You will see some light as time passes.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

Snowdog -- there is no hurry to do everything. But you do have to face the important ones. You have it in you to make good logical decisions.

Keep staying sober. Keep chipping away.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
First let me say I am determined to live and thrive sober in 2009.
I'm with ya! Hang in there!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

Take it 1 step at a time---one day at a time.Remember that christmas song"Put one foot in front of the other, and soon you will be walking out the door."

When I need a boost I like music--the best motavational song to me is from Tesla "Hang Tough"
Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Snowdog! Welcome and I wish you the best on your journey. It has a lot of ups and downs but it is the best journey I have ever been on and the best life decision. Keep up the great work.

I love dogs myself. I have a Chihuahua full time and a Border Collie part time (long story)...
Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey and welcome!

Yep, the anxiety can be overwhelming! You have a lot of good advice and support so far from your friends here at SR.

I'm just going to expand on what has been said. This breathing excercise helps me to calm down:

Deep breath in and think: Peace In
Long exhale out: Fear Out

a couple deep breaths and calmly focus on one step at a time!
You can do it!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It helps me to write out a plan for the next day. I break it down into do-able bites and try to throw something fun in there to keep me motivated, like a cookie break.

Love,

Lenina