Notices

Outside Pressure

Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

Outside Pressure

I went to the gym yesterday with a co-worker after work.
While at work we made plans to go. He wanted to go to the gym then to the bar to watch football. There is a local bar that has cheap drinks during football games."
Anyways I didnt even budge . I told him I quit and told him he should quit too.I told him,
"You work out and take a step forward then go drink and take 2 steps backwards."
I told him how dumb we are to drink. So we ended up going to the gym and he said not one word about the bar afterwards--We worked out and I went home.

So there is a challenge from people you know.
I think it just takes time for them to understand that I quit drinking.
Once they get it, It should get easier to stay sober.

37 days today and counting.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!

I just had a converation at my gym (I am a gym rat) with a friend who joked about all my wine drinking and staying in shape. I said "I am off the booze!" and he laughed and was like "if you ever wanna hang out you know my number"

You just have to block them out and know they want what you have. Peace of mind, no hangovers, money, happiness, a flat stomach (give me a few more weeks on that one)
you know how it is!

Good for you, keep working hard!

Choose
Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice post and so true! All my workmates know i dint drink now and know about counselling etc. what the hell i had nothing to lose! as for my friends, i have about 5 left out of quite a few, explained to each of them the situation and have picked the ones that i think are my friends! i think people will get the message the longer we dont drink and i think that includes ourselves to which one day it will be as normal to say it as i dont like ketchup...well i can hope anyway;-)
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choose2bhappy View Post
I just had a converation at my gym (I am a gym rat) with a friend who joked about all my wine drinking and staying in shape. I said "I am off the booze!" and he laughed and was like "if you ever wanna hang out you know my number"

You just have to block them out and know they want what you have. Peace of mind, no hangovers, money, happiness, a flat stomach (give me a few more weeks on that one).
Maybe he wanted to hang out BECAUSE you are off the booze?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow

You could be right? lol I have a partner (read more in my recent thread)

Never thought of that though!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Maybe he wanted to hang out BECAUSE you are off the booze?
That was EXACTLY what I thought when I read it. I even went back and read it a second time and thought the same thing.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

I called my co-worker 2 hours ago to see if he wanted to meet at the gym tonight---he was at the bar. Go figure.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Ooookay. Maybe I was wrong. LOL
Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My co-workers are all hard drinking roughnecks. when I'm getting pressured I just say this;

"No thanks, I dont drink anymore, I had to put it down." Then you always get the big WHY????., and I say "Well, long story short.. I like IT (look them in the eye) BUT IT DONT LIKE ME, YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN?????

Translation; If I talk this guy into getting wasted I'm gonna be sorry. You should see the looks!! You can tell they want to run. The response I get most often is "Yeah.. I gotcha"...and run they do, and they never ask twice... works everytime!!! P.S. I really don' like "IT" anymore.. just a quick line to put out the fire and move on.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job on 37 days Roux! I am a walker, but there's too much snow. So I need to get out the ole' workout dvds gathering dust.

Keep up the great work!