Notices

Hi, new here

Old 01-04-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, new here

Hi all,

Well, I am Katie and I have a couple of problems - I like to drink wine too much and struggle with depression. I am hoping to gain some support here so I can conquer my demons. BTW, today is day one for me and I just started on my anti-depressant drug today. It's going to be a rough road, I am afraid, as I just quit my job on Friday and the future is very uncertain. I know drinking will only make things worse.
Anyway, thanks, and that's all for now.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome, Katie! This seems strange to say, but if you can beat the wine, the depression can get a lot better.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
Welcome to SR Katie09, there's a great support group here!

Have you decided that you want to quit drinking completely?

It's starting to affect me physically, so whether I want to is less important to me than I need to. I know it exacerbates depression too, and I am never going to be ok as long as I am drinking. It's time to just stop it.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Welcome, Katie! This seems strange to say, but if you can beat the wine, the depression can get a lot better.
Thanks, yes, alcohol is a depressant so it can only help.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Hi all,

Well, I am Katie and I have a couple of problems - I like to drink wine too much and struggle with depression. I am hoping to gain some support here so I can conquer my demons. BTW, today is day one for me and I just started on my anti-depressant drug today. It's going to be a rough road, I am afraid, as I just quit my job on Friday and the future is very uncertain. I know drinking will only make things worse.
Anyway, thanks, and that's all for now.
Hi Katie,

I'm on day 1 myself. Over the last year I've quit drinking several times. This time I'm really going to make an effort to stay sober.

Just remember you will feel much better a week from now.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Katie, this is a great place to get advice and support. Good luck as you begin this journey.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Danielson. View Post
Hi Katie,

I'm on day 1 myself. Over the last year I've quit drinking several times. This time I'm really going to make an effort to stay sober.

Just remember you will feel much better a week from now.
I will if I don't pick up a drink and you too! My anxiety level is off the charts and I'm having a problem with a pain at the top of my stomach. I think it's a combo of too much alcohol and stress. That is why I quit my job, but I still have two weeks to get through. I am really going to make an effort to not pick up a drink for as long as I can. I don't have much faith in myself as after a day on this job I can't stand it and the first thing I do is reach for a glass of wine. But that will only make me more anxious. Thanks for your support.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will if I don't pick up a drink and you too! My anxiety level is off the charts and I'm having a problem with a pain at the top of my stomach. I think it's a combo of too much alcohol and stress. That is why I quit my job, but I still have two weeks to get through. I am really going to make an effort to not pick up a drink for as long as I can. I don't have much faith in myself as after a day on this job I can't stand it and the first thing I do is reach for a glass of wine. But that will only make me more anxious. Thanks for your support.
I know what you mean. I think the main motivator for make me to stop drinking is the economy and the job market.

Hang in there, you can do this. Just remember drinking makes things much worse.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Danielson. View Post
I know what you mean. I think the main motivator for make me to stop drinking is the economy and the job market.

Hang in there, you can do this. Just remember drinking makes things much worse.
Yeah, drinking isn't cheap and this economy is bad.

Yes, drinking might make things better in the moment (as in I don't feel anxious), but it just leads to more anxiety.

Do you know or does anyone know how long after a person stops drinking before the anxiety goes away?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, drinking isn't cheap and this economy is bad.

Yes, drinking might make things better in the moment (as in I don't feel anxious), but it just leads to more anxiety.

Do you know or does anyone know how long after a person stops drinking before the anxiety goes away?
It takes me about four days. I read you started anti-depressants yesterday. I tried that last year to help me stop drinking. Be careful with anti-depressants and drinking. I learned that the hard way. Is this your first time taking anti-depressants?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

New Here

I am new here and was needing support. I am 41 days sober. I also need help figuring out how to use this site! lol Please help!
Lisa:wtf2:wtf2
Old 01-04-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Katie,

Congrats on your decision to stop drinking! This place is really supportive, and I have found that it has been helpful not only with stopping my habit, but learning to live without it.

Much love.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Katie and Birdy! YOu've come to a good place for support and experience.

Read and post and ask questions, and learn. I give this site a lot of credit for my sobriety. We'll help you any way we can.:ghug
Old 01-04-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks again all. I tried to go to an AA meeting but could not find it and did not have the phone number. Rats. I was on the way there and feeling really anxious and thought about a drink. Then to not even find it...

Four days to get past the anxiety? Well, I wish it could be three, as I have a very stressful Wed. coming up, but I guess I will have to make do. I am going to try to make a turkey and clean around here and not think about a drink.

Danielson, no I am definitely not new to antidepressants, but when I go off my meds I get into trouble. I had gone off this other med because of insomnia and now I have sleeping pills from my shrink to help me sleep, as sleep is very important.

Well, thank you all.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

4 days depends on the person.. for me, once I quit (and the other times I did), the anxiety went away *mostly* that next day. I know for a lot of people it's much longer, and a lot of people may not even feel anxiety. It can be gone for good if you want it to be!

And before that AA thing happens again, print out a list of all the meetings (or get a book from the meetings you do end up attending) and the addresses, and once you get to one, a lot of times they give you a newcomers packet that has phone numbers for people. If they don't, anyone hanging around after would be happy to help.

Or program your local AA helpline into your cell.

That way it wont happen again!!