Notices

Back in this thing

Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I believe I can do this

Back in this thing

Hey everyone! I joined last year in June. Since that time I thought I could handle my weekend binge drinking problem by containing it to just Fridays or Saturdays with a certain number of drinks. Unfortunately, it turned into Fridays AND Saturdays with the certain number of drinks available at my place, the bar, or at the closest gas station. I went on a 4 day bender over the Christmas holidays, which was embarrassing and regrettable. I didn't hurt anyone, other than myself (by drinking so much and making an ass of myself, that is). The day before New Years Eve I was recovering and thinking about my plans for going out. The thought of drinking at that point made me feel worse, not better. I didn't have any epiphany or ground breaking realizations, I am just so tired of this way of life. I poured out a full bottle of brandy and threw out the last of my beer. I don't know if they'll stay gone, but for the past 4 days they have not been replaced. My first New Year's Eve sober was must more fun without the booze. This probably won't last, but I'm enjoying it while it does. I love being sober and hate being drunk. Seriously, I hate it so much! Most of all, I hate recovering for several days afterward - not being able to sleep, shaking, sweating, heart racing, etc. There are no grand schemes or plans this time around. I'm just doing it (sobriety) one day at a time and loving the time I have, while it's still here. It's good to be back.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you looked at AA?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

I joined SR December of 2007, spent most of '08, like this:

Originally Posted by FreeinMilwaukee View Post
I thought I could handle my weekend binge drinking problem by containing it to just Fridays or Saturdays with a certain number of drinks. Unfortunately, it turned into Fridays AND Saturdays with the certain number of drinks available at my place, the bar, or at the closest gas station. I went on a 4 day bender over, which was embarrassing and regrettable. I didn't hurt anyone, other than myself (by drinking so much and making an ass of myself, that is). I poured out a full bottle of brandy and threw out the last of my beer. I don't know if they'll stay gone, but for the past 4 days they have not been replaced. This probably won't last, but I'm enjoying it while it does. I love being sober and hate being drunk. Seriously, I hate it so much! Most of all, I hate recovering for several days afterward - not being able to sleep, shaking, sweating, heart racing, etc.
Copy, paste and then add Sundays and daily maintenance drinking; now repeat every two weeks, and you'll get a good idea of what my past year looked like.

I'm happy and lucky to be back and sober. I'd still be drinking if I hadn't asked for help and dragged my butt back to an AA meeting.

"There are no grand schemes or plans this time around."

IMHO - you really need a plan!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome back. Isn't it scary to think that we all have picked up many many more drinks after feeling such horrifying physical effects? The power that it has....

You said "it probably wont last"... it can, if you want it to! Don't set yourself up! I know that's what always did me in.. that negative talk, the ideas that started a cycle of rationalization which always ended with me completely drunk, ashamed, scared, shaky, anxious, unable to sleep, vowing not to do it again. That can end now!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just don't drink for TODAY. One day at a time you can stay sober. This can be the last time you have to go thru the withdrawals. Staying sober is a lot of work but is worth it.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I believe I can do this

I wouldn't say I don't have any plan at all. It's just that I don't have any thought that there's a silver bullet. In the past I tried Campral, naltrexone, and even an antidepressant. My plans right now are more social, psychological, and behavioral. I'm on day 5 right now, and what's crazy is that those days came over a Friday and Saturday (my biggest weakness) AND over New Year's. I must admit that it really got the adrenaline pumping to wake up sober on national hangover day. I survived last night by playing cards with sober friends till one in the morning. It was so nice to hang out and not regret what I remembered or didn't remember doing the night before.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice one Milwaukee stay strong:-)

Those horrible withdrawls on the 3 days following reminded me of how i was a few years ago before i gave up giving up! Hope you don't get to everyday boozing and stay sober!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Originally Posted by least View Post
Just don't drink for TODAY. One day at a time you can stay sober. This can be the last time you have to go thru the withdrawals. Staying sober is a lot of work but is worth it.
And break it down even further..an hour at a time..a minute.

Live "in the NOW."

The hours and minutes add up...

To think of "long term"..=

Least is right.

One Day at a Time

AA is excellent..I am an AA'er..it is well worth a try.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I believe I can do this

I'm on day 8 right now!!! I think that's the longest I've gone in at least 6 months. Everything seems clearer. Unfortunately, I have alot of anxiety and problems sleeping. it's wild how much I depended on alcohol to carry me through difficult times. I've started exercising, too.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done, day 8 is great! Sleeping problems and anxiety are normal at this stage (for me anyway), watch out though as you start to feel better you might have thoughts such as "I can handle one night s drinking" etc popping in your mind. While still feeling the effects of a binge it is easy to remember why you don't wnna drink, when you start to feel healthy, remembering why becomes harder.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

I am glad you're feeling better. And, I agree with you, the drinking life is exhausting, isn't it!