SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New year, new start (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/165665-new-year-new-start.html)

yorkshireman 01-02-2009 12:35 PM

New year, new start

Hi folks. I haven't been around since summer when I lapsed after 13 days and have been off the wagon ever since.

Today is day one of what I really have to make my last and successful attempt to quit. I've spent all the festive season drunk and I feel ashamed and awful.

I'm tired, overweight and totally fed up.

It's a new year and a new start. I have to do it this time.

If anyone else wants to make 2009 a successful and sober one then let's do it together.

Thanks

Dee74 01-02-2009 12:53 PM

welcome back YM!
Good luck to you :D

D

yeahgr8 01-02-2009 01:19 PM

Hi there

Sounds like a plan to me:-)

Have you got any plans on getting support for 09 other than the great support offered at SR?

LAMBYPIE1 01-02-2009 01:36 PM

Kudos to you.....I came back one year ago on Jan. 1 2008 after 8 years. This is my 3rd time. I too was totally beat and I guess thats what it took for me. This time is different I'm actually ejoying myself. I heard someone say "I don't have to go to meetings I GET to go to meetings" and thats How it feels for me today. Good Luck and God bless

least 01-02-2009 01:48 PM

Welcome back to a great place for support! I'm glad you've decided to get sober again. Make this your successful attempt at sobriety! I'm glad you're back!:ghug3

bugsworth 01-02-2009 01:50 PM

Welcome back...and best of luck!

littlefish 01-02-2009 03:21 PM

Welcome back! Are you considering any kind of support program?

helpme1242008 01-02-2009 03:57 PM

Welcome back...Count me in. I'm only on day 2. I'm trying to make it a better year here too. Good Luck and Thank you for being here.

rob2009 01-02-2009 04:06 PM

Good luck
I stopped 2 days ago.
It would be really good if it was sucessful for both of us this time.
It will be good to talk next year when we both have a sober 12 months under our belts.
best wishes

yorkshireman 01-02-2009 04:11 PM

Thanks for all the messages of support. In answer to the question "am I planning on any other support program"? the answer is no. This is my place for support as it is available 24/7/365.

Since my last attempt at sobriety I have split up with my partner as she wasn't providing any support and actually encouraged me to drink by refusing to help me change my habits. By this I mean that even though she knew I was trying to stay sober she still organised nights out in the pub with friends etc, all of whom are heavy drinkers. I have since met someone else who is very supportive and although our relationship is in the very early stages she fully understands what I'm trying to do and I have been completely honest about myself. We even went to the pub tonight and, although our friends were drinking, I stayed on soft drinks and felt under no peer pressure to drink alcohol. Unlike previous attempts, this time I have told all of my friends what I am trying to do and have been open and told them all to just treat me as they normally would and not to make a fuss about the alcohol. I strongly believe this is my best chance of sobriety as I've realised I needed to be honest with those around me as well as myself.

I am going to post in this thread at least once per day and I'd like those who are joining me on this journey to do the same. I certainly won't disappear this time.

Thanks again guys!

bugsworth 01-02-2009 04:15 PM

Sounds like a solid plan york!! Many people don't utilize other support programs...you are not alone. Once you know better you do better...wishing you much success!

shaun00 01-02-2009 09:45 PM

Good for you yorkshireman..........Last time a went to a AA meeting in your town it was a goodun.
keep posting my friend............trucker

gonzo9730 01-02-2009 09:54 PM

Keep on going my friend. I don't attend AA myself. I come on here, spend time with my wife who very rarely takes a drink * I used to say I drank for the both of us*, focus on getting good nutrition, get exercise and try to keep life low stress. I'm on day 6 after a four day relapse. I wasn't happy about the relapse, but I took stock of my last six months which included two solid runs of 34 & 39 days without a drop. Aside from those I never went back to my old drinking habits which were every night of the week.

Here's to making a good go of it in 2009!!!

allport 01-03-2009 04:38 AM

Well said gonzo, Im trying to get past a relapse I had over new year, I want to accept the responsibily for it without beating myself so badly that I just give up on myself.

All I can do about it now is get back up and start again.

mjw 01-03-2009 04:49 AM

good luck i'm on day 27 after 22 years of what i called playing hard now i have accepted i am an alcoholic ihave also accepted i cant change the past but i can shape my future

rob2009 01-03-2009 06:07 AM

Great to hear your developing a supportive relationship.
I am not sure I would trust myself in pub yet. That is a test I will face when I come to it.
I sounds as if you have a much better situation to work with this time.
Best wishes.

wibble 01-03-2009 06:10 AM

Welcome back mate!

yorkshireman 01-03-2009 08:04 AM

40 hours since my last drink and I feel rough as! Must be the cold turkey kicking in.

flutter 01-03-2009 08:09 AM

york, you're still detoxing, and that can be scary and dangerous to do without medical help. Please take care of yourself, and if you feel you need a doctor, call one!

Glad that you're back.

As for the pub thing, no thanks.. Over the past 17 days I have had, I did go once last Saturday. While it didn't fuel my desire to drink, I found myself being very judgemental about all of the people that were, and it put me in a funk. I am working way too hard on this to keep old habits and old 'hangouts' in my life. Cheesy saying but I find it's true "If you keep doing what you always did, you'll keep getting what you always got".

Welcome :)