Notices

sober8days

Old 01-01-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober8days

Hi, Happy 2009-- First New Years in a looong time that I wasn't drunk--whether I was drinking by myself or with others. I thought "detox" symptoms would be gone by 8 days but I guess it will be longer??? I still wish I could drink but I tried cutting down or saying I wouldn't drink but I can't do it. Last straw was blackout at Christmas Eve. Right now I still have cravings and won't even go out to dinner where I'll see others drinking. My husband is being supportive. Is anyone now able to be around drinkers or have a party where others will drink?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi lulu and congrats on 8 days! in answer to your question...i am able to be around people drinking now...but that is only after almost 2 yrs of sobriety, going to aa meetings, talking with my sponsor, etc...and even now there are times when i make the choice to stay away from parties and gatherings i am invited to...i have choices and i'm not afraid to say no thank you when invited. i know for me when i surrendered i needed to do everything and anything to stay sober and that meant changing the people, places and things in my life that were associated with alcohol..that is not to say i would never be around people drinking again and that is not the case today but such a big part of my drinking was done at bars hanging out with my "friends" and in order to stay sober i couldn't be there and quite frankly...now i don't want to be. so the short answer is yes i am able but i choose not to be. good luck to you in your sobriety...you can do it! and try not to put yourself in situations where you need to test yourself...give YOU some time to work on YOU! hope to see you back here again!
Big Hugs!
Lisa
Old 01-01-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lulukat,

What detox symptoms are you still having? Craving a drink or feeling extremely uncomfortable around others who are drinking is not a detox symptom. It is a part of recovery however.

Congrats on the 8 days, it only gets better.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In early sobriety....
I timed my cravings.

They were 5-7 minutes in duration.
Not too long too endure discomfort
Soooo....I took action.
Walked...rushed my teeth... Drank cold water...Hard candy

Within 2 weeks...the lessened in both time and intensity.
By 2 or so months .... they vanished.

Now...were they mental or physical?
Darn if I know. Nor do I care....

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 01-01-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

A lot of people crave a drink for a very very long time, if not forever.. it's how we change our thinking, feelings, and therefore behaviors (in one order or another ) that keeps us sober.

I hope you feel better soon if there's detox stuff going on, if you're worried, see your doc maybe!