Notices

Day one....

Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one....

I feel so hopeless right now. I want to quit so badly and I feel like I'm floundering. I'm tired of being embarrassed and sick, but I just can't stop! I guess this is a perfect day to start getting well though.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! You don't have to go through this alone. I once felt hopeless too. Have you sought any help from any other sources--besides SR? If so, what happened?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome enough...and YES this is the perfect day to start a new sober beginning...keep reading & posting...YOU CAN DO IT....you have to want it more than anything you've ever wanted in your life!!! start replacing those can'ts with cans...you are on the right path...wishing you much success...please keep us posted and ask as many questions as you like...we are here and glad YOU are here!!!
Big Hugs...keep coming back!!!
Lisa
Old 01-01-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I spoke with my doctor and I've started seeing a psychologist, but I still feel like I haven't made any progress. I also feel too embarrassed most of the time to ask the people around me for support when I'm feeling weak.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

enough...may i inquire...when was your last drink/drug? progress is slow....but it can be had...i can tell that you are in a bad place right now...but breathe...you can do it...hang on every second, minute...whatever it takes...stay in the moment...don't hold up the measuring stick just yet...sometimes it seems like time is standing still...even for me with almost 2 yrs...everything happens when & how it is supposed to..i am a firm believer in that! hang in there..BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lisa
Old 01-01-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey enough, glad you are here. It took me a long time before I became willing to ask for help. It was not till then that I started to have hope. I hope you do not wait too long like I did.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can stop...........if this old drunk can.. you can!
Can you get to AA in your town? have you tried it?
You can recieve support here 24/7 i guess.
If you have the desire and can be completely honest with yourself....you can do it...
Im not gonna dress it up and say "its easy" because for a while its gonna be uncomfortable.....and feel like wearing your socks in the tub!!!
But with time it will more "normal" not to drink.
I will support you whenever you feel the need for it......and when i need support you can be there for me.
Thats how it works..........its a "we" thing....i couldnt do this on my own..
Good luck and god be with you...............trucker.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drank last night. I can't seem to make it more than two weeks before slipping up again.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's how I used to feel. But finally I've got six months sober, and if a chronic relapser like me can stay sober, so can you. Don't be ashamed to ask for help. That's one good way to stay sober - by helping someone else. Please try AA. And come here often. I give a huge measure of credit to SR for helping me stay sober. We'll help you any way we can. But please ask for help. This disease is hard to beat all by yourself.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ok...so how about you try to stay sober today???!!!
just for today! find something to fill the usual drinking time...stay on here all day...talk to friends/family...try to do whatever it takes for today!! not sure where you are from and if there are any aa meetings close by but you can call the aa hotline...they sit there waiting for the phone to ring to help people struggling to stay sober...and i know alot of people on here don't like aa...it has helped me in more ways than i can say..i just had to stay open minded and take what i needed from it...it was really scary the first time, wasn't sure what i was walking into, but i was to that point that i would do anything to get help..i couldn't stop on my own...so i guess if someone said stand on your head in the corner and spit wooden nickels...i would have...you have to be willing to do anything...don't question...just do...i'm sending you big hugs...if you want to send me a private message to talk..i should be on all day...hang in!
Lisa
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

you can do it. you dont need to feel hopeless. as long as you can keep the things that you want for yourself in mind and work your way towards them you are NEVER hopeless.

its a horrible feeling and trust me ive felt it too for a long time. dont give up just work your way through it. it will get easier the longer you go.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I now have a little over 50 hours under my belt (this time... which WILL be the last time) so I am here to say you CAN do it... I just started feeling better tonight and I know by tomorrow I will be in a good place... ready to focus on being sober...
Old 01-01-2009, 10:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The first day being sober is hell, the second day is great and you get all the laundry done, the third day you feel better so you start again! If I could just make it past that third day, and realize that it has to stop, would all the days after that feel like that second day?