Notices

First Sober New Years Eve

Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Sober New Years Eve

My first sober New Year's Eve in 39 years.

I was 12 years old. Remember it very well... Sloe Gin Fizzes, New Years Eve - snuck them from under my parents nose, well, not really, there was tacit permission. Why do I remember it so well? I really liked how it made me feel. I've been on a never ending quest for the perfect buzz ever since. I never found it. It doesn't exist in a glass or a pill, for me anyway.

Now at 51 and 3.5 months Clean & Sober I am looking for a fireplace and a glass of Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider when we get back from First Night Bethlehem. There is some good folk, swing, blues and reggae and NO ALCOHOL, or people drinking it. I don't have to feel any shame or like I'm an outcast.

Wife is a little skeptical of First Night (I'll prove her skepticism is unfounded !!!) - But I ain't steppin' foot into any bars or clubs... not because I'm afraid of drinking... I just want to feel good, about the New Year (believe me, 2009 HAS to be better than 2008), my sobriety and myself.

Soooooo

Mark
Old 12-31-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Now at 51 and 3.5 months Clean & Sober I am looking for a fireplace and a glass of Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider when we get back from First Night Bethlehem. There is some good folk, swing, blues and reggae and NO ALCOHOL, or people drinking it. I don't have to feel any shame or like I'm an outcast.
Sounds like a perfect way to ring in the New Year Mark, thanks for sharing this.

I remember drinking cold duck at age 14 on New Years Eve, and loving the way it made me feel. At 44 now, I'm looking forward to a clean and sober evening with loved ones, and being grateful for such a blessed life.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah its gonna be the 1st sober new years for me too in awhile! Gonna spend some time with my parents, order chinese food and watch a movie or something while im visiting.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Last year this time I was working on a big drunk. Don't remember how much wine I drank but at least two bottles. Woke up feeling horrible as I deserved to feel. This year I'm sober as a church mouse and hosting a doggie sleepover with my neighbor's two dogs and my two. I ought to sleep warm tonight, with four dogs on the bed!

At any rate, I'll wake up to greet the new year with a clear head and no regrets.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

second sober new years for me, but the one i did on a couple of weeks of begrudgingly not drinking a few years ago does not count, so first proper grateful sober new year 08!

roll on 09 i can't wait for this year, with only 2.5 months sober and staying that way it CAN only be better than 08!!!!

happy new year all!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yup, last year about this time I was faking sick to come home from work to prepare for my New Years gathering. The evening was a bit hazy and felt horrible the whole next day. Very much looking forward to ringing in 2009 in a more positive fashion. Although I seriously doubt I will be up until midnight!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

I think I was sober last year on new years eve but I think it was because I drank soooo much the days just before new years eve. I needed a break--but this year I will bring in the new year with I nice plate of sauteed venison loin and onions, and then I will play video games with the kids--maybe hang out on this sight for a few--and I have a 100 count box of green tea I need to drink up. Hey all---Not drinking is in style---I am lovin it. Being sober that is.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!