Notices

Is There Really a Such Person as a "Normal Drinker"?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Is There Really a Such Person as a "Normal Drinker"?

I don't think so, and I challenge the concept of "normal" when it comes to alcohol consumption. I am an information junkie, and I love to read and learn and think and ponder. Call me a "Cyber-Philosopher", if you will.

My logic here is simple: Alcohol is toxic to humans. This is scientific fact, not my opinion. The question then becomes: "Would a normal person slowly poison themselves over a lifetime?" Answer: No!

So if poisoning oneself slowly over time is indeed abnormal, why do so many people choose to do it and continue to seek to justify the behavior of self-poisoning? Answer: Societal pressure and marketing by "Big Alcohol".

Another question: Why exactly do most people consume alcohol? Because they enjoy the effect. So, do "normal" drinkers not enjoy the effect? How many times have we heard these alleged normal drinkers make statements to the effect of "I can take it or leave it". ? Why make such a statement in the first place if this is indeed the truth? Why "take" what you allege you could so easily "leave" in the first place?

This leads to the next question: If "normal" drinkers are not seeking the effects of an alcohol buzz, and can "take it or leave it", why consume alcohol when you could simply consume a healthy, hydrating drink like water, or a soothing drink like green tea?

There are millions of functional alcoholics out here in the world masquerading as "normal" drinkers. I did it for a couple of decades. Personally, I see all these alleged normal folks as simply at varying stages of chemical addiction. I think most people eventually see the consumption of alcohol for what it is, get sick of the hangovers and stop before they reach the ugly "bottoms" we read about here and hear about in AA and other groups. Others, like me, suffer through years of painful hangovers and making an ass of ourselves repeatedly, and feeling like crap, getting in various trouble (I got a DUI at 19, and tested positive on a urinalysis shortly after and lost a stripe in the USMC) but manage to never lose a job or their family. And still others lose jobs, families and health before stopping. And some lose everything, up to and including their lives, like a nephew by marriage that died of alcohol induced cirrhosis at age 38.

Nothing good has ever come from drinking poison. So, how could it possibly be "normal" to drink alcohol? Answer: It's simply not normal, period.

Therefore, I conclude there is no such person as this elusive "Normal Drinker". This concept was created by the alcohol industry in order to sell their product (drug) to the public legally. And all of us here have fallen for it at one time or another, so here we are!

Opinions? What say you, my companions in sobriety?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Interesting viewpoint, and good post. I never really thought about it that way before. You raise some very valid, logical points.

I do know several people who say they drink (wine, mostly) because they truly enjoy the taste. I'm sure the buzz is an added bonus to them. They truly can "take it or leave it", and often leave a glass half unfinished on the table. They don't usually finish a bottle (between two people!) in one sitting. They also like to take wine tours in Sonoma and Napa Valley. They get to see the vineyards, learn about the grapes and the wine-making process, and experience some really beautiful scenery. To them it truly is a HOBBY and an EXPERIENCE, and it doesn't revolve around getting DRUNK.

Aside from the "poison" aspect, I do view this as "normal" drinking behavior.

I DO completely agree that the alcohol industry has CREATED images of what is acceptable and expected in our society, as far as alcohol consumption goes. I also agree that there are probably countless masses of people with drinking problems disguised as "normal" drinkers. Just because everyone you know drinks as much as you do, or more, doesn't make it "normal". It took me a long time to figure that one out.

Thank you for posting this. I'm looking forward to what others have to say!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

I really have had a hard hard time with some of these issues, since alcohol was not my DOC. I really liked the taste of dark beer. I drank it for this reason first and foremost. Could have one, and end it right there with no problem.

But I have quit drinking alcohol too, because I have a feeling I may easily be an alcoholic without my DOC. Case in point: on Christmas eve at my dad's, alcohol was everywhere, and I really craved it. For the taste AND to relax, take the edge off. I think if I did drink, it may start to be a replacement for whatever I have compulsively done and don't do anymore.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My wife has one tall white wine spritzer each night. It is the very last thing she does. She doesn't drink at parties, when we are out for dinner or during the day, any day, even special occasions.

She misses it if she doesn't have one, but neither will she go out late to get some if it's not there.

She is a non alcoholic. What is normal?

Mark
Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
What is normal?
Exactly. Normal is a relative word. What one percieves as normal isn't normal to someone else.

That's why it is important to understand ourselves and others individually, imo. Because "normal" seems to broadbrush.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

I see what you are saying, Steamvessel. Different levels of addiction for different people, yes.

It does come down to want. My cigarette smoking, for example. There is a relatively good chance these things will kill me, sooner or later. but it is my choice to keep doing it. I am not a victim of these companies that manufacture them, I am a victim of myself. I'm a nicotine addict.

Marketing doesn't care about anything but the bottom line, yet they seem to have alot to do with what is socially accepted, in regard to alcohol and nicotine. That isn't good.