Notices

Replacing one addiction with another- how to stop??

Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hopeful2009

Replacing one addiction with another- how to stop??

I have had an extremely addictive personality since I can remember. When I was a child, I was always obsessed with a movie.. and would watch it over and over until I knew every word of the script. I have always been a compulsive gum chewer, diet coke drinker, calorie counter, obsessiveeee person! This was all pretty safe until I started trying things that weren't so healthy. I am obsessed with adderall, was obsessed with coke, kind of alcohol, junk food, weight loss, etc. If I am not doing one of these things to the max, I simply find another one to focus on for a while. How do you end such a cycle?? Can you all relate? (even though some of my examples are silly... it still shows a certain pattern of compulsive behavior that has always been part of my personality)
Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
hopeful2009

PS. Is moderation possible??? How can it be achieved??
Old 12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I have an obsessive personality too.

I didn't realize that it was a problem until drinking came into my life. I was obsesssive about never being late, if someone's line was busy, I would call repeatedly, rather than waiting, but the behaviour was there.

I think that the behaviour - drinking, junk food, etc, is a symptom. So, when you stop drinking or doing drugs, you need to look inward and begin to heal yourself.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hopeful2009

No, but I diagnosed myself with Generalized Anxiety Disorder after looking up all of my abnormal behaviors online and my doctor agreed. I could have said anything, so I don't know if that's what I actually have or not. Maybe I should have them evaluate me and discuss other possibilities. My GAD meds don't really seem to be helping at all.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm definately obsessive....with alchohol I can simply completely quit...with most other things...moderation is necessary...for instant I must eat enough to stay alive....but need to not obsessively eat.

I, like anna have to begin to heal myself...unfortunately it is a long, scary and painful process at times...but I can look to others here, like anna, and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is possible to grow and learn.

thx for posting
Old 12-29-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
hopeful2009

How do you heal yourself?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HopeFul2009 I literally just posted this. I too have struggled with many types of addiction. Maybe it can offer some insight

================================================== ================

As I celebrate 29 days of recovery I am discovering that this life of mine has been filled with all types of addictions that have manifest in one form or another. Sex, computer gaming, street drugs, or prescription drugs. The new discovery i made is my use of food to create that high i no longer get from drugs. i realized today that this has been a really crappy week for the most part emotionally, the connection i made was that for everyday I felt bad i also over-indulged in food. It was if i CHASED all the foods that created a sense of "good-feeling" inside. I felt so empty in numb as used the food to create some sort "FEELING". When i realized this today while reflecting i was instantly made aware that if I did not identify these emotions that caused this that I would be well on my way to a new addiction. Since the pills always gave me that "FALSE" sense of control and made me feel good I needed no substitue. Now that they are gone I guess my mind is scrabbling to fill that emotional void with something. I am working on getting to the root of this emotional distress, in the mean time I have to keep myself aware because these things can sneak up on you and create new problems!

BEWARE ALL
Old 12-29-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, the obsessive behaviour was my attempt to control my life.

I was terrified of losing control of my life and the people in my life.

The more afraid I was, the more I obsessed and tried to hold onto the small things. I would always go grocery shopping at a certain time, on a certain day - that kind of thing.

When my drinking caused me to fall apart, I realized that I couldn't control any part of my life or my world, except how I thought and reacted to things. It became crystal clear to me that I needed to let go of everything else. That was how the healing began.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hopeful, dont be too quick to diagnose yourself, I went onto a site today that was linked from SR and took a number of personality tests.

Thankfully Im not daft enough to take the results as medical diagnoses but I was, according to these tests, depressed, anxious, autistic with borderline personality disorder, an eating disorder and ocd.

Fortunately I didnt have schizophrenia!

Who the hell diagnoses schizophrenia over the internet.

I know that sometimes when Im speaking to my doctor I say what I think he wants to hear, or what I know will result in the diagnoses I want.

I would say you need to see a real professional but from my experience they dont help much either.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to be so negative but thats where I am with Mental Health Professionals at the moment.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KCB.com/justfortoday :-)

If you experience an addictive personality like this it may be that you need to seek professional medical help? I can get like that but it's usually when I am feeling low or I am trying to fill a void in my life. I used to joke that I could get addicted to a table but it's so true.

Try different experiences - social groups - exercise - anything that is healthy - it's not always easy but if you try you may feel so much better.

I wish you all the best xxx
Old 12-29-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me, my addiction to food came long before I started drinking. I didn't realize what was going on at the time, but I also spent long hours chatting online (at the expense of doing my homework), and I would obsess over guys I liked and relationships that were already going downhill...even after I was physically out of a relationship I was still very much mentally/emotionally attached, and I had no idea how to detach until I found a new guy (which is, I guess just transferring the emotions/addiction).

Now, I'm trying to channel this energy into writing...? It's hard, I know.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What if you just accept yourself as obsessive compulsive but channel this energy constructively. Instead of alcohol or diet coke or movies, perhaps exercise and self improvement in other areas such as reading and self awareness. I am very obsessive also but I just accepted it and turned a negative into a positive. I know do sprint triathlon, I am at a healthy weight, I learned french, etc. Remember too that half of the problem isn't the problem itself but the anxiety over it. They say for example people who have panic-disorder have the greatest anxiety not during the panic attack but in fear of and anticipation of the attack. If you just learn to accept yourself instead of changing yourself and just tweak yourself in a healthy direction, you won't worry about it and it won't be a big deal. There are many successful people who have a good self concept who are obsessive, believe me. It's all in how you look at it.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BKP

addictive personality me too i am adhd, ocd and hyperactive as hell i guess i use working out as my obsession, i am happy with it though. Got to try to cut down one thing at a time as i am drinking my 3rd cup of coffee eeeek....
Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I suggest counseling, if possible. An addiction counselor is who I see once a week, and she is helpful not just with my alcoholism but with other mental health and family issues as well. I always feel better after getting to dump on her for an hour and always get good feedback from her as she's able to offer 'third person' advice, not being a part of my life, like family members and friends are.

Give it a try. It could be a great help with all your 'addiction' issues.

:ghug3
Old 01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mergirl

Originally Posted by Courage2BMe View Post
this life of mine has been filled with all types of addictions that have manifest in one form or another. Sex, computer gaming, street drugs, or prescription drugs.
Haha, we are secret twins maybe!! I find that I am pouring my energy into healing my body now, as a substitute. I have been to the library and am devouring books on addiction, spirituality and health. Smoothies and whole wheat are becoming my new addiction. I think I still really need counseling or a meeting, where I can find someone to help me make sense of this tragic night tearing me apart, but for now I am doing everything in my power to repair what I have left through good nutrition, exercise and positive thinking (when possible).