Notices

Day Three Over!

Old 12-28-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Three Over!

Hia, well, this is my first post here and to say I am terrified would be an understatement.

It's like, this last week has been the ultimate "sort myself bloody out" week. I finally got out of a psychiatric ward (where alcoholism was a part of my problem), I didn't even manage to stay sober the whole time I was in there.

Let me explain, I overdosed, got admitted to a general hospital, they discovered I had seriously messed up my liver and kidneys (as a result of the OD aswell as drink), medically unstable for 7 days, my dad flew over from China because everyone was worried they wouldn't find a liver for me.... da de da, thankfully, I made a fairly good recovery, medically at least. Didn't drink for that week, or the first 3 or 4 in the psych hospital, but then, of course, impulse and urgent NEED for something overtook. In the end I was jumping walls (literally!) running over to the supermarket for a bottle, getting back into the hospital garden, drinking, and then trying to avoid staff who would take great pleasure in doing a breathaliser.

Anyway, upon discharge they strongly advised that I refrain from alcohol as it was clearly inhibiting my already limited ability to make rational decisions. I have an impulsive and addictive personality anyway, and as you all know, mixing that with alcohol is never good. Combine that with a messed up liver, psychiatric problems and a tendancy to self-destruct.... yeah... not good.

This must be the most difficult time of year to go sober. I couldn't manage on xmas eve or xmas day. My mind and body were going nuts, but, thankfully I did survive boxing day, and am still sober. Technically I'm into day four now! It is so hard, I never expected this... I've actually resorted to locking myself into my own house and setting up camp in my living room until I feel slightly more sane and more able to walk within 500 yards of a shop.

Hope to see you all round on the boards...

Jane
Old 12-28-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jane,

Welcome!

I am glad you have made the decision to live a sober life.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Jane! THis is a great place and a loving family. I"m glad you found us. I'm half a year sober, due largely to my family here. Someone's always home, we love to share our experience, strength, and hope as it was and still is shared with us. We take care of ourselves by caring for each other.

Welcome!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Jane! Another December sobriety date, hurrah!

Stick around, you'll find tons of love and support here

Looking forward to knowing you better.

Jess
Old 12-29-2008, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks for the response!

Day four is proving much harder, the fact that I made the effort to get up and dressed makes me want to go out... still fighting though, coming on here gives me something to do and something else to concentrate on rather than thinking about "it".

Thanks for the welcoming posts :o)
Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family, Jane!

Let's see if we can help you get addicted to health and longing for life! When I first came here I was looking for information. I had just found out that someone I know was in the hospital with cirrhosis of the liver and other alcohol related complications. We are the same age and I had been struggling (unsuccesfully) with trying to control my drinking. I began doing research and one thing that really helped me was this post under SR's alcoholism section: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I'm an information junkie. Can't get enough info. I needed that information to understand what alcohol was doing to my body and how I had lost control to alcohol.

Alcohol had robbed me of my zest for life, my health and my time. I refuse to give it anymore of my life. I have now been sober 126 days.

We're glad you are here! Congratulations on another sober day!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Jane, why don't you check out the Class of December thread. You're a member already since you got sober this month.