Notices

Do not read this if you are upset now...

Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

My gf is a nurse's aide. She got paid training and makes pretty decent money with good benefits. And it's not just a job for females. Many of her co-workers are men.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I need to find a job away from people. People cause me anxiety. I'm looking for a job that's non-existent.

The doctors seem to think that certain substances can trigger palpitations. I'm only doing these restrictions for another week just to tell them that I did follow along with what they said I need to do and it’s not working--and then maybe they'll stop being apathetic and do some tests to find out if what I have is dangerous or not.

I won't lie...I've been stressing out about my heart a lot. I'm really worried...and the doctors don't care. Something scary happened to me a couple of Saturdays ago...it was a new symptom (I've been having premature beats for a year now). I'm not even 30 yet...I need to find out if there is any damage to my heart, but so far every person I've seen has been unconcerned. I've been honest about my history. Maybe they don't get it or they think I deserve it. I really don't care. I just need to know where I stand. This is on my mind all the time...I worry that my heart is going to f*ck up again. This is no way to live.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

(((chiy)))

I'm never going to grow up.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

BTW, what is he wearing, besides the lights?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Well..Just because they are Drs doesnt mean they know it all. Make it very clear what you want them to do. They are working for you. Tell them you want these tests done so you feel better knowing. Process of elimination. You know?
I hate wrokign with people too. Thats why I like my job now. Even tho I am not getting hours..I dont have to deal with anyone all day. Every now and then I have to deal a guest or two. But very briefly. Its just me and a dirty hotel room..I turn the radio on and just do my job.
Nobody bothers me and I am all alone all day.
I am not a people person. And I suck at customer service. I just dont have the patience for it. Or the control to keep my mouth shut when you get one thats not happy.
Oh well...It will get better. I dont know when..But it can always get way worse if we give up hope.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I hope I'm strong enough on that day to tell it like it is to those people. The last time I went I told the doctor that I have this fear of experiencing sudden cardiac arrest and he said, "WHY?" I stammered...I didn't know what to say and I wasn't expecting that kind of response. If I had it to do over again, I would have said something like, "What the f*ck do you mean by saying WHY? Aren't you afraid to die? Don't you have fears? I'm not paying you to question my feelings and downplay my concerns! Do something!"

I don't like these people, chiy. Many of them (I know, not all, so no one please hate on me) are arrogant. Arrogant people REALLY rub me the wrong way (and they can smell that from me a mile away). Big time clash. I'm seeing a different person this time--I don't know his/her personality. I'm probably just going to be an @$$hole, and I don't like doing that, but I'm so tired of playing these stupid, costly games.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I use to get like that with my Dr too. What I do now becasue I feel sometimes like they think I am just wastin their time or soemthing like that. I will make a list of my concerns. Write down what I want to tell or ask them And take it with me. And I pull it right out in front of them and run it down.
If you have to sit outside before you go in and pump yourself up. Do it.
You need to have a voice. And a strong one when it comes to these things. F where their ego is. Give it right back. But you can do it in a fairly nice way. If they still dont get it..Drive then nuts with it until they get tired of hearin you and just do what your asking them to do..LOL..I am good at that. I could annoy someone to pay me to go away if I really tried.
Seriously tho..Dont be intimidated by Drs. They are suppose to be there to help. Even have someone go with you and go in the room with you and speak for you. Someone who wont take no for an answer. I take my aunt for those times. She just strait dont care. She will let them know how it is and she gets the job done.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

((Bam))

I agree with Trish on the list. Since I was an RN for 12 years, I've learned how to deal with dr's. First of all, they do work for you. Secondly, they are human. I told one,once "MD does not spell GOD!!"

Write down exactly what your concerns are. Be aware, though, that they WILL try the least invasive things first, which is probably why they are trying the dietary things first. Sometimes, caffeine IS a big problem for people and they have to rule it out. Unfortunately, money is also a big problem in medicine and tests are expensive, so they are not quick to jump to those right away.

I always told patients to make a list, because most people will get in the dr's office and totally forget all the things they wanted to address. It's called "white coat syndrome"...see the white coat, and forget everything and get stressed out (most people's blood pressure actually goes up in a dr's office).

Another thing you may want to do, is keep a log of when you have the palpitations and what you are doing around that time, what you have eaten or drank in the past couple of hours, if anything has stressed you out. This will help the dr. to see if there is any type of pattern, and he will also see how serious you are at wanting to get this resolved. When dr's see this kind of info from a patient, they are much less likely to be arrogant and will usually try to work WITH you, rather than just tell you what to do. t also helps you to feel a little more in control of what's going on.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-28-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I would rather try give up drugs and alcohol than caffeine, chocolate and cigarettes all in one go! I think you are rather heroic, to be honest. I'm sure I would be up for a murder charge after a week.

And like impurrfect said, antidepressants are pretty impossible to abuse. I abuse everything, and I haven't managed to abuse Prozac! I've been on it for years. So if that's the kind of medication you need, don't hesitate.

They more flattened my moods, so I didn't experience great highs of life (natural ones!!) but it spared me the lows. Worth thinking about. Just while you get your stuff together.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Life can be pretty craptacular no matter what kind of hat you wear. Drinking does absolutely nothing to make it better. Nothing.

And, you really made some huge life changes! You should be crawling the walls! For what you are dealing with, you are doing quite well!

Chiy and Imperrrrrr have some excellent ideas for dealing with the doctors. There is a wealth of help in this thread! I'm hoping some of it can work for you.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Thanks, everyone. I'm building myself up for what it is I'm going to say. I hate this whole process. I'd rather kiss a dead moose's butt.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

If you can tell me what movie that last line came from, then you get an imaginary golden star.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Why are you on a super restrictive diet, giving up cigarrettes, in early sobriety Bam?

Sobriety first...unless a doctor put you on the diet and stopped the cigs for health reasons.

Maybe tackle one thing at a time...

Hugs, Bam.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Also..tackling one thing at a time and succeeding will give you a sense of empowerment.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

It's for the heart palpitations I've been experiencing for about a year now. A couple of Saturdays ago I had a different symptom...my heart beat became really erratic...it went from being slow and irregular to really fast and then back to slow and irregular. It felt like it was having trouble beating/getting into a normal rhythm. I panicked.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

At least I didn't smoke as much as I used to before I was told to give cigs up. I just want one occasionally, ya know? Ugh...
Old 12-28-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Bam

I’ve been working up your way. On the top of one of your beautiful West Virginia mountains. Not going so well, No commercial power up there and the diesel generator we were depending on gave it up. Frustrating. So I am back home in Virgina.

I Don’t like like doctors either but what ya going to do

Hang in there my friend. Sometimes, **** just happens

Ed
Old 12-28-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

It is a pretty state...not very many good jobs, though.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Bam Im so sorry that your feeling this bad. Its hard to quit one thing, let alone caffeine and chocolate as well. Stress can also cause palpitations and heart problems. And I have panic attacks that cause palpitatioins all the time. I am on a high dosage anti depressant which I don't abuse cause it doesn't make me feel high, just normal. I used to be afraid to go to work, drive, or even leave the house. I know that not wanting to be around people at work is one of the symptoms that I have dealt with as well.

Its especially hard to not have stress if the doctors can't assure you that nothing is wrong with you. There may be nothing wrong with you at all, but for me I always needed everything checked before I would believe them. I hope that the doctors can hurry up and let you know whats going on, or whats not going on.

Hugs

Amy
Old 12-28-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I can imagine!

Poor babes...make sure you eat healthy, good food. Relax as much as possible.

And you don't want to hear this, but your attitude makes chemical reactions

in your body (a build up of cortisol) that make you feel sick. And have more

palpitations when you get upset. Try to relax more, love more, laugh more.

Until you can make geographic changes...you do have the power to make

inner ones.