Notices

Class of December for all those who got sober this month

Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

Day 14 here ... feel great and just need to figure out what to do with my day.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If the urge to drink gets too bad, play the tape thru to the end - the misery and regret the next day. I still get those urges, have to be on guard all the time. You'll be alright, I'm sure, just remember your goal!:ghug3
Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Congrats for everyone's successes. I read that for many of you this season is difficult and I really do applaud you for getting to the New Year! The holidays are so busy I don't even think about drinking (weird.. I know).. it's when it's quiet.. I hear that voice. Not so far, but I'm well aware of how it happens, so I'm armed with new strength and a much better resolve.

Day 16, feeling amazing.

Night classmates!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

I can't believe Day 15 is already here. It's Saturday Morning and I'm headed out for a 3 mile run.

Then I think I will go and use one of these gift cards I got for Christmas on some new clothes.

Simple is so much better.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

ExNavy~ I hear you saying you are running 3 miles and it seriously makes me want to run! lol Even though I haven't run for exercise since I was a teenager (I do the elliptical)

Have a good run and have fun using those giftcards!!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Here's another bonus to being sober: somehow my house is "magically" cleaner. Apparently picking up after myself isn't actually as overwhelming as I thought it was when I was drinking.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

LOL StrongBird, my house is magically cleaner too! I also sleep better, wake up early feeling amazing, food tastes great and feels better in my tummy, hubby is happier, dogs are attended to with more than just a passing pat on the head, family is something to treasure and not a group of people to avoid (due to drinking, hangover, guilt, shame.. yadda yadda), bills at restaurants are way less (WAY less)... on and on.

Boy does that feel good!!!

Day 17
Old 01-03-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Day 6 for me, feeling pretty strong, slept much better last night.
StrongBird - I hear you abou the clean house. In the past I would usually come home for lunch and throw down a beer or 3, just to get me through the afternoon. Then I'd have to jump in the shower, etc. so I wouldn't reek when I got back to work. All of this took time of course, and it seemed impossible to keep the house picked up. But this past week I've had no trouble picking up and doing the dishes after I finish my lunch. And since I don't have any hangovers to fight through in the morning, I generally clean the house a bit before I wake my wife and kids. And of course it's GREAT not worrying whether or not my co-workers can detect any alcohol on me. I know I still have a ways to go but, HAPPY SATURDAY TO ALL!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

December

I'd like in as well. Sobriety date 12/17/08.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group, trout! You're one day ahead of me, 12/17 was my last drink.. 12/18 was my day one.

Congrats!!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

I haven't run for exercise since I was a teenager (I do the elliptical)
I used to do the Elliptical Machine until I discovered Spinning. I haven't looked back. I am running now because I want to mix up my routine, which is heavily weighted to cardio. I started doing a boot camp class a couple times a week because it forces me to work my upper body.

I am anti-weights only because I just hate doing them. I accept that no matter how fit I am I will always have Olive Oyl arms.

I didn't make it shopping but I did run.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
mergirl

12/28 for me, first post but count me in, I'll intro myself in a bit=)
Old 01-03-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our newcomers! We're glad you're here!:ghug
Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Here's something else I just realized. For about the first couple weeks, I felt like I had blacked out the night before. My memory was just so foggy. I'd feel a bit of panic like, "what did I say the last time I talked to you?" and I'd have to consciously remind myself that I was sober so I probably didn't say/do anything awful.

I was driving home tonight and I realized that it's stopped. I'm no longer having preemptive shame and panic over blackouts that didn't even happen. I feel.... get this.... normal!! (well, memory-wise, at least). YAY!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

just bumping this post up, c'mon December folks! Check in!

Strong... read that post above mine, maybe it will help (if you read this today).

I want you to stay like that dancing banana, saying YAY!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Talking

Checking in on day 10, so far so good! Starting to recall what life is like with a clear head each morning...I like it!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone~ I hope you all had a wonderful weekend =)

Well, this afternoon was a test for me. My Parents were over and they had a few beers, Hubby as well. I didn't want a beer, but became frustrated that I couldn't have a glass of wine. Thing is I didn't really want to drink, but something Hubby said upset me. He said "You haven't kissed me in 3 days" I'm sure he's right, I go through spells where I'm not affectionate and I've been feeling really moody the past week.

I worry because when I drank I wasn't the kind of person who got mean. I was more affectionate, I wasn't so self conscious about my body. I was able to let go and be without thinking twice. Since I've been sober Hubby and I have only been intimate once, only once in a month! I'm so frustrated and I don't know what to do. I wasn't always like this, but I have always been very critical of my body. I started to think "I'm better off drunk and happy than sober and miserable!" I know that's not true, but I feel that way sometimes, specially when I hear my Husband say that he misses me being affectionate with him. He's so understanding and only wants to see me happy and I feel like my sobriety is hurting us because I'm so uncomfortable with myself. Not because of anything he has ever said, let me tell you, he's the kind of man that has always told me I'm beautiful no matter what my weight.

Geez, so this long winded post is basically trying to ask How do I get over this? I love my Husband and want to be close to him, but right now it seems like sex is the last thing on my mind. Not fair to him at all =(
Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Mariposa, I don't have any advice but I know my mind plays the same tricks on me: the old "I'd be better off drunk and happy than miserable and sober." But you and I both know that we weren't happy when we were drinking.

I have a LOT of crap to work through too, stuff I'd kept well buried by being drunk rather than dealing with it. You're not alone and we'll get through this together.

And way to go -- the important part is you did it. You made it through a challenging afternoon and you didn't drink. You're still sober! Woohoo!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Geeze - did everyone have one of those days?
I was in a great mood all day and then late this afternoon I was freaking out. Not sure what set me off but I was sure thinking about a drink and what scares me is how fast I went from being OK to thinking how fast I could get to the bar.
I ended up pulling out the AA meeting guide and headed for the first meeting I could find. I'd never been to that meeting before and wouldn't you know its in a shopping center with a liquor store, practically right next door.
Only took a few seconds to decide which direction to walk when I got out of the car.
Still here and still sober and I feel a whole lot better.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Mariposa, Being uncomfortable with ourselves is a healthy by product of sobering up...were getting our feelings back, minus the alcohol to numb them,and yes were gonna need a little space!! Regaining our self esteem so we can" let go and let be " while sober ,takes time. Dont fall into the trap where you rationalize drinking to be "fair" to someone else,or you feel that YOUR recovery is throwing a wet blanket on a relationship.It happened to me, after 8 months sober my wife said she "missed the old me" and she was glad I was sober but "it's not fair" that we couldn't party like the old days. That was an easy out. It took 14 months to get back here. No need to go that route. Be patient and kind to yourself and try to communicate with your husband...He prob. has no clue how you feel, it helps if your on the same page. Hang in there with us!!! it's gonna get better!!