Notices

Class of December for all those who got sober this month

Old 12-31-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Welcome, harleykitt! Glad you found us and hope you'll stick around. SR is a great place!

Love,

Lenina
Old 12-31-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, harleykitt.

12/12/08

I'm not sure that will last...but I'll keep my fingers crossed. I've failed a lot. My optimism has waned. But that doesn’t mean I give up.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Happy New Year to the Class of December 2008.

7:30 PM out here on the left coast. I'm leaving for a meeting in a few minutes, really looking forward to it tonight but I'm also sicker than a dog.
Really bad cold, barley have a voice, blah, blah - just whinning. I hate being sick.

Plan on hitting the meeting and then hitting the couch, doubt I'll even make it to midnight.

Other than being sick, I feel great with another day in the sober column.

See you all next year!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

LOL I don't think I'll make it to midnight either.. Hubby and I are going to watch a movie and likely just go to bed. Just another day

See ya all next year!

Day 14
Old 12-31-2008, 08:14 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

harleykitt - I'm glad your here. Whatever it takes for you to stick this out you have to do.

Today can go down as one of the most important days of your life.

I know exactly how you feel about the drinking and driving. My DD was mostly short distances. When I needed to drink away from home, I would just get hotels so I could not worry about limits when I would party downtown or at concerts.

A sad but funny thing is I would do after my many blackout drives home is the next morning I would look to see if I pulled in my drive way or backed in. I prefer to back in (ex military thing), so I always gave a sigh of relief when I would run to the front door and look out and see the car was backed in. That meant I was not as drunk as I could be.

I can't tell you how glad I am for that part to be over with. We easily talk about the harm we have brought to ourselves. But i am glad I am no longer out there drunk, rolling down the road in 2000 pounds of steel.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

My 'dd' has escalated lately, finish a bottle of wine at home in an ebuliant mood, wanting to talk to someone, craving some kind of connection however skewed, so I drove to a local wine bar or something - I woke up the next morning almost more embarassed that I was a girl in a bar alone, and then scared of how I got home. The shame makes me cringe whenever I have to pass by certain areas of town close to the house, and that makes me isolate and drink alone, starting the cycle again.

(I realize that my restaurant/fine dining obsession & self-description as a connisseur has really been mostly about the wine that goes with it. My food knowledge has really just been accidentally picked up by proximity to red wine.)

I have been driving drunk to bars more often lately, like in some screwy way I know that I need to reach out to people, but only doing so after a bottle of courage.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:04 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Welcome harleykitt. ExNavy - that is a police thing over here too, backing in! The worst is when you wonder how you got home and see your car in the drive, with no memory of ever having been behind the wheel.

Lucky day 13 for me.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Happy New Years to all. I woke up another day clean. 25 days now and it 2009. Im racing today so wish me luck. As much as I love it, the danger factor always is on my mind. Have a good day.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

I don't think I could back into my driveway right now -- and I'm completely sober and well rested! LOL Fortunately for me, I realized long ago that I'm not the world's greatest driver even sober so I only drove drunk (and not even wasted -- more just buzzed) twice. I get into enough trouble driving sober!

Last night was so lovely for me. And my daughter and I were up early enough this morning to see the sunrise. It's going to be a beautiful day.

I'm kind of excited this morning. Now we can say that we quit drinking "last year." (even though it was only 19 days ago for me!) It's just a nice mental boost!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

:ghug
Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi all, I posted last Fri. morning drunk and miserable. I had planned for today to be my quit date but the responses I got encouraged me to move up the date. I'm proud to say that today makes 4 days clean and sober. I'm still not sleeping very well, and I have to admit that I'm pretty irritable, but that will pass.......
Anyway, happy New Years to all. Go Penn State!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Yay to everyone for making it through New Years without a drink/drug of choice. Congratulations! You all deserve a big hug and pat yourselves on the back. Day 8 for me. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to finally let my doctor know that Im done and see if this depression can be treated somehow, other than what Im already taking. But Im clean from codeine thats all that matters!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

Class of December!

My sobriety date is December 17, 2008! I really feel I belong here when I read some of your posts, in particular, two of them today.

One was about the wine connoiseur, or however you spell it, I love wine, and I would love to go to wine tastings and talk fancy about different vintages and high as opposed to low altitudes and whatnot, but really it was all about FREE BOOZE! And at the supermarket, I would make a big deal about reading the labels, and checking the vintage, when actually the FIRST thing I checked (other than it HAD to be pinot grigio, because that was my favortie) was the percentage of alcohol in it! Had to be at least 12%, though I preferred 13%. I don't think I found any higher than that in a pinot.

The other post was about the numerology. LOL, I would drive myself CRAZY with that!!!! And somehow I would always decide on another sobriety date based on a better number, and it kept me drunk longer....I REFUSE to even check and see what my new date adds up to!!! LOL.

Glad to be here sober and unhungover on New Year's Day...I raise a glass (of water) to the class of December 2008!!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

Funny story this morning.

I went on my 5K Run and the friend I was running with loves to have a "smoothie" after the run. They are sweet and filling so I like them too.

If you guys know anything about Smoothie Shops they almost all offer a "shot" of some extra ingredient (profit maker) that is for Energy, Wellness, etc.

Last week was my first time there and I got a shot of something my friend recommended. This week I forgot what it was, but thought I knew it. So when the girl asked for my order I asked her to put in a shot of "Recovery."

She looked at me funny and my friend spoke up and said, "You mean 'Immunity' right?"

I laughed out loud and said yes that's what I want.

But I thought of you guys immediately and hoped you would get a kick out of my Freudian Slip Up.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats Thib on four days!! It's a great start to a better life. It's a bit rough at first but it does get better.

Seahorse, pinot grigio was also my drug of choice! What started me on my road to ruin was a wonderful pinot called Mommy's Time Out! I noticed on my last relapses that it no longer tasted good, in fact, it tasted bad to me and turned my stomach. A blessing in disguise, as now I've got six months sober and no longer need such 'time outs'!

To the whole class of December: you've started off with a bang and we're well on our way to 500 posts to put this in the Continuing Support threads as your clean and sober 'diary'.

I'm so happy for all who have found, and are continuing to find, a better life in staying clean and sober. It's not easy, but it's so rewarding! I've got my self respect back after losing it almost two years ago. I don't ever want to go 'back there' as I've had enough misery and horror to last a lifetime.

A very happy and productive New Year to you all!!

Old 01-01-2009, 04:13 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
the wine connoiseur, or however you spell it, I love wine, and I would love to go to wine tastings and talk fancy about different vintages and high as opposed to low altitudes and whatnot, but really it was all about FREE BOOZE! And at the supermarket, I would make a big deal about reading the labels, and checking the vintage, when actually the FIRST thing I checked (other than it HAD to be pinot grigio, because that was my favortie) was the percentage of alcohol in it! Had to be at least 12%, though I preferred 13%. I don't think I found any higher than that in a pinot.
SeaHorse, I always went by the price - if it was mid priced to expensive then OBviously I wouldn't just be buying it to get drunk I was 'appreciating' it LOL
Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Originally Posted by ExNavyInHouston View Post
Funny story this morning.

Last week was my first time there and I got a shot of something my friend recommended. This week I forgot what it was, but thought I knew it. So when the girl asked for my order I asked her to put in a shot of "Recovery."

She looked at me funny and my friend spoke up and said, "You mean 'Immunity' right?"

I laughed out loud and said yes that's what I want.

But I thought of you guys immediately and hoped you would get a kick out of my Freudian Slip Up.
Talk about Freudian slips - look at my post from 7:30 last night.

"Really bad cold, barley have a voice, blah, blah - just whinning. I hate being sick."

I was reading through the posts this morning and caught it; I always used to joke about having a "hops & barley sandwich" for lunch. LOL
Old 01-01-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Glad to see everyone doing so well. Kinda in a funk.. but I have absolutely no desire to drink, that's in my past even if it was just 15 days ago.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey Guys~ I'm so glad we all made it safe and sober through the Holiday season! =) Good Job all of you~

Well today I've also decided to give up smoking. I'm what you call a "closet smoker", I only smoke around other smokers and never buy any to have at home so I only smoke during those times. BUT my Mom and FIL smoke and I've been doing it more than I would like. So as of today that is gone. I'm also going to get back to my healthy eating and exercise regimen. I lost over 30lbs last year (gained back 14lbs when I quit drinking and replaced it with eating!) So it's time to get that back on track as well.

I'm taking this year to make my body as healthy as it can be, To make my mind and soul as whole as it can be. It's been a long time coming and I"m ready for it =) I don't consider these resolutions but necessary changes in order to live my life to the fullest.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Mari - congrats on the quitting smoking - I feel like this decision to stop drinking is a holistic (wholistic) decision to take care of myself - I need to give up tortilla chips

Flutter - I love your quote about wanting to be as great as your dog thinks you are - I have two doggies who think I'm tall and slim and brilliant.