Notices

Class of December for all those who got sober this month

Old 12-30-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lets keep this SOBER thing going guys!!

Congrats to all and what a perfect way to kick off the New Year!!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

:ghug

and a Happy clean-and-sober New Year to you all!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Alright, I'm aboard. 12/20 and glad to be here
Old 12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

There's a lot of us 12/20's gathering ... looks like we all had a hell of a Friday the 19th.

It's better here than it is there.

I'm glad we are all here.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

I'm glad to be getting comfortable in my new sober skin, finally. I just bought myself some nice fizzy flavored water and soothing teas and used some Christmas money to buy fun, girlie bath pampering products. I used to drink because "I deserved to relax" but really it ended up with guilt, shame, etc... and even more STRESS! So now I am actually trying to relearn how normal, sober people relax now and WOW! It's actually pretty fantastic! And I know I'll feel even better in the morning when I wake up after a great night's sleep with no hangover.

It's so awesome to be learning these new ways to care for myself, you know?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Over in the Continuing Support forum are two threads: the class of November and the class of July, for those of us who got sober during those months. (tho there are some honorary members who started in those months but had a slip and still want to be 'classmates' or who got sober in other months but liked the company in July)

Any interest in any of our December newcomers to start such a thread? I found it helped me stay sober by having a place I could call 'home' to report my successes and questions and fears. There have been a lot of newcomers to clean and sober living this holiday month. If enough people post in such a thread, after 500 posts it would move to the continuing support thread, and could continue being a sort of 'sobriety diary'.

What you all think?

Sounds like an awesome idea. 12/8/08 here
Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

12/24 for me! What a cool date! I'm honored to be in this group! Thanks guys!

-LD

(who has probably exceeded her exclamation-point limit by now)

Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by ExNavyInHouston View Post
There's a lot of us 12/20's gathering ... looks like we all had a hell of a Friday the 19th.

It's better here than it is there.

I'm glad we are all here.
Yup. Helluva weekend indeed.

I consumed a big ole bottle of Makers Mark over the 19th, 20th and 21st. Got disgusted at how I felt at work on the 22nd, so here I am 12/22/08 on day 9.

And it is better here than there. I spent several years "here", then another year or so back "there" just to be sure.... what a dumbass! :

Glad to be here with the class of December!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

My sober date: Dec 8th.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Count me in 12/15/08 Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Count me in too! 12/25

Day 7, seems like its been a lifetime in a week
Old 12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

How strange, my latest date is 20th December too! Must have been a full moon or something!

I thought I'd come say hello. I'll always be Class of November, but the amount of times I slip up, I think I may wind up being a member of every month, lol!!

Happy Sober New Year everyone! Won't we feel great in the morning?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

Wonder if you will get anyone for Dec 31 sliding in just before the bell?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Delighted to see so many on the clean and sober trail! I was a member of the 'less than two weeks sober' club for longer than I want to remember, but if I can finally stay sober, anyone can! I believe it was Time2Surrender who started the July thread. I'm just pleased to have such good company on this Recovery Road!

A happy sober New Year to you all!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Originally Posted by ExNavyInHouston View Post
Wonder if you will get anyone for Dec 31 sliding in just before the bell?
Yup, snowdog has just made it, lol!
Old 12-31-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

12/12 over here

I'll be smiling on December 12th of 2012.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I will have a month tomorrow (31 Days Today) and I've been looking forward this SO MUCH! All of a sudden I feel angry and pissed off because all I can think of is that I want to drink!!!!!! Why?

Dammit, just when I thought I was fine, here I am about to climb the walls. We are having a quiet New Year, just Hubby and Kids. But all of a sudden I'm thinking "I've never gone out on New Years, If I can't go out and I have to be home why can't I at least be drunk?" UGH!!!!

I just had to come here, I don't want to bitch to my Hubby or yell at my Kids because of how *I* feel. I was really looking forward to starting the New Year sober and right now I could care less...I need to stay sober, I know if I drink tonight it will be a disaster.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Lightbulb first post

I am finding myself here 12/31/2008, finally trying to take a brutally honest look at my life and my drinking... the new year always makes me introspective, maybe this year will be better than the last. But I keep progressing only backwards, and I can't keep expecting different results from constantly making the same mistakes.

I don't think I have understood the effort that has to go into stopping my downward drift, until last night when I consciously didn't resist stopping at the store for a bottle of wine to drink alone at home, and once that was gone I drove to a bar alone and then to another store for more beer.

I have been making excuses because I don't drink everyday, and I wrap my drinking into a package inside a ruse of being a 'foodie' and appreciator of fine wine and dining. But when I drink alone I can't stop, I black out and the day after is crippling.

The drinking and driving is deplorable. I'm scaring myself with how much I'm consuming, my chemistry is forever changed, and I can not allow what else might happen before this problem slaps me in the face.

I have been reading this site as a guest for a week now, unwilling to register and engage until today. Time to try something new and value myself enough to share my story and ask for help. Thank you for your posts and courage.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Harleykitt! So glad you found us and joined the family! You CAN stay sober, just don't drink one day at a time. And you may want to give AA a good try. They helped me a lot very early in my sobriety. In the meantime, come here often, read and post, let us know how you're feeling. We care.

To the best new year ever!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

HarleyKitt~ Welcome to SR and to the Class of December =) I hope you stick around~ SR has been a fantastic place for me to find support and it has helped me immensely. I hope it does the same for you. You being here and seeking help is the first step. Read through the posts this evening and you will see how many people here who once thought it was hopeless are now clean and sober =)

I'm one of those people. Even though As you can see in the post above yours I had a little mini-meltdown about an hour ago! lol I sat here, read posts and reminded myself why it is I stopped drinking. I can't control it, it controls me, and that is not how I want to live my life.

It seems to me you are on a path of recognition and that is a good path to be on~ I will tell you what was told to me, today can be your LAST Day 1 =)