Notices

Physical changes in the body with sobriety?

Old 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Question Physical changes in the body with sobriety?

After 6 months of sobriety, I'm wondering what kind of changes my body is going through physically. Can you run faster and jump higher? Just kidding, to a degree....I'm really wondering if there are in fact changes to the body.

I've googled everything imaginable and can't come up with a thing. Help!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had more energy and my brain worked better.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have amazing energy and drive. I have only 27 days but feel a big difference. My appearance has improved, I have a healthy glow. My anxiety is not as intense.

Good topic!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Only ten days here, but already my energy is way up, I'm thinking rationally, my anxiety is gone, my insomnia is gone.. Not sure what happens long term other than a healthier brain, heart, liver..and most other organs and systems!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i've been losing about a half pound to a pound a day. it'll taper off here soon i think, but i'm already in clothes i haven't been able to wear in two years.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jh1

well im on about my 18th day and ive had some weird rashes that may be related to to no booze or might be something else idk. Ive been going to the gym almost everyday and see myself getting more cut, but im having a hard time keeping weight on and i eat plenty and drink like 3 protein shakes a day. I guess now that i dont have all those extra alcoholic beverage calories im losing weight. Ive lost like 4 pounds some how and i want to gain weight. But, yea i mean im gonna give it like a month and compare how i look-cant expect magic to just happen in a week/2weeks.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

THe most important physical change is the brain 're-wiring' itself to work without alcohol. I don't know much about any other changes, tho I do just feel 'better all over'.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I pm`ed you a link to a good page with study results concerning a lot of areas of recovery from alcoholism taken by professionals.I have read many articles from there and they are pretty good.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My brain....
what a wonder it is to have lost my
diagnosed situational depression...
Old 12-27-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I'm feeling better most days and have been told I look and sound much healthier. My memory and concentration could still use some improvement...
Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I believe your brain readjusts itself in someways. noprepinphrine, serotonin, dopamine, opiates and other brain chemicals start acting natually and non-dependent on drugs /alcohol.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Live and let live.

Cool positive effects of sobriety

I've been sober for eight months and I lost twenty pounds in the first two months. First of all, from the alcohol and secondly because I wasn't eating the junk food that alcohol made me crave (greasy hangover breakfasts).

I definitely had more energy to exercise which made me sleep better. I don't exercise right now, but I still have more energy. My mind is MUCH clearer. That is probably the best side effect. I have grown mentally and emotionally more in the last eight months than the last ten years. the process is much quicker now that I'm sober.

I also lost my beer belly!

I don't think you will see drastic changes in your physique or physical performance, but you will see long term changes. It is SO worth it.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I dont have that "hollow" look about me anymore and have put on a bit of weight.
The white of my eyes are white not yellow.
Skin and hair in better condition.......well for a forty year old anyway...lol.h
I have more stamina and strength.
My memory has not got any better and i dont think it will be its managable.
All ive gotta do now is kick the cigs and start jogging again..lol
Thats for next year.................trucker
Old 12-28-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Thank you Everyone!

I've been reading a lot about sobriety. Just interested in how the body changes. For instance, I didn't know the liver could heal itself, to a point. I figure the more I know, the better it is. Again, Thanks!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
stupid newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
My brain....
what a wonder it is to have lost my
diagnosed situational depression...
Hi Carol!

This is one of the many reasons I quit drinking. I was convinced that my depression was here forever, and then I learned that the beer was likely what was causing it.

I'm only 8 days dry, but -- the depression has left the building!!!!!
I dunno about you, but for me ... waking up everyday without some cloud of doom (or an abnormal panic attack...wtf?!) is reason enough to leave the liquid behind.

I um ... actually cleaned my house this past week and "puttered" and had (*gasp*) ........ FUN. It's pretty amazing.

Avidya ... just joined the group tonight.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
stupid newbie

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Thank you Everyone!

I've been reading a lot about sobriety. Just interested in how the body changes. For instance, I didn't know the liver could heal itself, to a point. I figure the more I know, the better it is. Again, Thanks!
Hi Coffeenut!

Like you, I've done a pile of reading. Although I haven't yet been to the doc for a complete analysis, I've started drinking Milk Thistle Glycerite tea several times a day. It's documented that it helps regenerate the liver. If you're interested in this stuff, I would recommend getting it at Mountain Rose Herbs dot com (system wouldn't let me post a link because I'm new.)

Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

after quitting smoking 4 yrs ago I can actually run
all in all feeling better and stronger
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome Rosyglow, Avidia and Cat! I hope you start a thread in the newcomers forum and let us all pop in and welcome you!

One thing I noticed almost immediately was my anxiety problem was gone. I've had it for years (hmmm, as many as I drank!) and now, I can even speak in front of people with no problem!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Things I've noticed:

1. More energy
2. Although I haven't lost a lot of scale weight, I look slimmer and my skin looks healthy again!
3. I have TONS more mental ability than I did a few months ago!
4. I am not nearly as "lazy" as I was while drinking.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jh1 View Post
well im on about my 18th day and ive had some weird rashes that may be related to to no booze or might be something else idk. Ive been going to the gym almost everyday and see myself getting more cut, but im having a hard time keeping weight on and i eat plenty and drink like 3 protein shakes a day. I guess now that i dont have all those extra alcoholic beverage calories im losing weight. Ive lost like 4 pounds some how and i want to gain weight. But, yea i mean im gonna give it like a month and compare how i look-cant expect magic to just happen in a week/2weeks.
WOW, losing weight is motivation enough for me!