Notices

I can't seem to stop

Old 12-26-2008, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation I can't seem to stop

Despite my best and most sincere efforts my drug use is rapidly escalating to the point that I'm afraid I'll die if I continue at this rate. My social life has become non existent and It's already hurting my finances and job performance. How does one find the willingness to stop? Is there help out of this trap I find myself stuck in?

Desperately hoping and seeking freedom,
~Fishy
Old 12-26-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Some are able to make a decision to stop,
When they see that their drug of choice is interfering with their social life, their job, their finances, etc...
Others have to hit rock bottom.
For some, it's a jail; for others it's an institution.
And some, sadly, have to die.

Only you can determine where and when you will end.
The power is in your hands.
You determine your fate.
One day at a time.

Please consider going to Naranon, or some support group. Talk to your doctor. Do whatever it takes. Make this a life priority. Because, it is. And it's *your* life at stake.

Be sure to visit these boards often and let us know how it's going for you. Keeping yourself accountable will help in your efforts.

Shalom!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank You for the hope and suggestions. Unfortunately, my doctor becomes decidedly uncomfortable when I broach the subject of my addiction with him - Usually it ends with scrips for Clonodine and Atavan to help with detox symptoms and a bums rush out the door.

My experience with NA so far has been been nothing short of an undercurrent of religoius prothelazation -accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour and you'll get it. Fine of it works for them, but I'm Buddhist and don't plan to / feel it's needed to convert in order get well. The mutual unjudgmental support of other addicts who can empathaze is the only way I was able to put together any clean time in the past. Any non theistic recovery programs out there? I know the only clean time I've ever put together is with the help of other recovering people, and surely you can't all be god pushers. I know you must be out there, please help.

Last edited by fish4bliss; 12-26-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would definitely post your story and questions on the substance abuse forum underneath as well.

I don't know where you live but from what I've read on that forum NA is much less restrictive on the whole "God" concept.

Anyway, there are also others who have quit on their own and you will find much support there. So maybe do some reading on that forum and then post away.

Getting clean and staying clean is wonderful way to live life.

I wish you success.

Donna
Old 12-27-2008, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

There is a secular forum here as well. In it, you will find many different approches to recovery, including SMART, LifeRing, and the Humanist Society and more. Here's the link:
Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

NA is not affiliated with any particular religious group. It does promote the use of a Higher Power to help overcome addictions. I'm sorry if the people in the program are altering the message of NA for their own purposes. If so, they are not following the principles of the organization, sadly. And many will suffer as a result.

Our other forums are the Substance Abuse forum:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
and the Narcotics Addiction forum - 12 Step Support:
Narcotics Addiction-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

So, there's much help here. But, please know that face to face support is always considered best. It's not that you cannot get clean online; it's just that we cannot see you or hear the inflection in your voice online. So, there's much missing in the conversation. In other words, there's more on *you* to be completely and totally honest if you really want to get clean. We cannot call you on your BS, and, let's face it, it is the nature of the addict to minimize and manipulate. That's why face to face is better. But, it *can* be done, if *you* are willing.

If you'd like to give the meetings another shot, you may want to consider this:
Sayings of Buddha and Christ
Jesus and the Buddah were not that far apart, and some think Jesus as a reincaration of the Buddah.

Remember, the Naranon program does not promote any particular religion at all. In fact, your Higher Power can be a door knob! LOL! Just anything outside of *yourself* is the point.

One of the sayings of NA is important here too:
"Take what you need and leave the rest."

Shalom!