Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

SHUT UP SHUP UP SHUT UP (or, this is the time when I'd normally start drinking...)

Notices

SHUT UP SHUP UP SHUT UP (or, this is the time when I'd normally start drinking...)

Old 12-24-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

I'm not and I won't, don't worry.

My parents are here -- they have been here since Saturday -- and I love them. They are great. My mom cleaned my whole house, my dad is working on my car. They clean up after themselves, they adore my daughter, etc.

But.

I need alone time. I need quiet time. I am so tired of small talk -- what the temperature in the house is, what the gas price here is compared to back home, etc. We just got back from the grocery store (a madhouse on Christmas Eve, of course) and I managed to lose them twice. And since my dad insists on pushing the cart, I had to stop shopping and track them down so I could put my groceries in the cart. ARG! It's insanely petty to even let this bother me but OMG. It does.

This is the point in their visits that I typically crack open that first beer (and end up obliterated by the end of the night, of course.) I get to the point when I just need quiet and I don't have a good enough excuse to get them to leave me alone so I drink to tune it all out. But I'm not going to do it today. I don't even have alcohol in the house, so I can't do it today. I can make it 24 hours. I might go a little crazy but I'll stay sober.

*dramatic sigh*
Old 12-24-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Excuse yourself to your bedroom and just tell them you need a few momnets alone. I'm sure they'll understand. Take a deep breath. Come back out and enjoy the rest of the visit. They will be gone before long and you'll have memories to cherish and sobriety to boot.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You could have a "headache" and lie down for an hour and just breathe.

Anyway, you will get through this!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I go through with that with my lil cousins almost everyday.

I bought a bice lock for my bedroom door and yes..I am laying down and taking a nap.

Just dont drink...