Notices

Will you go with me, SR?

Old 12-23-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Will you go with me, SR?

Will you sit next to me in the car on the way to the family Christmas gathering - with my stomach in knots - tomorrow night?

Will you walk through their door with me? Will you stand beside me when my sister-in-law comes rushing up with my favorite drink - will you help me say no?

Will all the things we've talked about - all our failures & triumphs - run through my mind? Will the words you've said stay with me and strengthen me? Or will I once again believe the lie that I can have just ONE?

Please stay by my side and in my heart. If I make it, it will be my first sober Christmas in 8 years. I can't do it without you.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yep

but, you don't need me, or anyone else - not really. You know you're an alcoholic and you know what's at stake - and we both know how much you want to make this a sober Xmas.

But yeah - I'll be around

D
  # 3 (permalink)  

You won't do it without us J!! The first sober Christmas in 8 years is something to go for girl. I wish I could hold your hand, but at least mentally we'll be there with you and do something I was advised to do if you can. After all these nice people have posted print this baby out and take it with you. "Oh excuse me I have to use the lady's room." Then start reading through the thread. It saved my butt on my trip back to NY in October. You'll really have us in your face then. Hugs and best wishes to one of the most special people on SR! Love ya!!
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

You are never alone. I have a "friend" that is with me at all times. Although others cannot physically see him, I know he is there. My thoughts/prayers are with you too.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

I have read your posts over the past year and I have really come to admire you. You are a different person now - stronger, wiser. You are not the same person who used to drink! We do not have to repeat the same things over & over.

A bit of wisdom from some good folks who have walked this path before me: Don't forget to take your Higher Power with you.

This may well be the best Christmas you have had in years!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dearest J - I already pm'd you, but just in case you do print this thread, I want my words of my faith in you to be included...you will do this...picture it now...Your SIL comes rushing up with your favorite drink, you tell her to "put that darn thing down the drain and get over here and give me a hug!" Give her a good, for-real, I-mean-it hug and then head straight for the kitchen and a diet coke, or a glass of water or a juice, and then when anybody asks you if you need a drink, you've already got one.

He11, Joanie, you don't need "strategies" from me, you just need to know I love ya, I care and you are going to do this. I just know it! You are so much stronger, and so much braver now. You can say no. You WILL DO THIS!

Check your pm's.

Love ya, J
Old 12-23-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

I'll be online throughout, J. I somehow managed a sober, white knuckle Xmas 2 yrs ago...
...It'd have been so much easier with SR.

Thinking of ya...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hi, Hevyn. I'm with ya. This will be my first sober Christmas for about as long as you. You can do this. I can, too.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Will you sit next to me in the car on the way to the family Christmas gathering - with my stomach in knots - tomorrow night?

Will you walk through their door with me? Will you stand beside me when my sister-in-law comes rushing up with my favorite drink - will you help me say no?

Will all the things we've talked about - all our failures & triumphs - run through my mind? Will the words you've said stay with me and strengthen me? Or will I once again believe the lie that I can have just ONE?

Please stay by my side and in my heart. If I make it, it will be my first sober Christmas in 8 years. I can't do it without you.
Without even reading any other replies yet, let me answer.

Yes, yes, and a big ol' resounding YES. Then two more yeses, and then a big fat NO!

Have faith in yourself. Know that we will be thinking of you and wishing you well. Consider us your own personal set of guardian angels.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Aw, you've gotten some great responses. YOU GO, GIRL!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Do exactly what you have been doing ...
just don't pick up that first drink.

You can always leave if you are in danger.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You bet I will!! YOu will not be alone this holiday. We will be with you in love and strength. Our friendship knows no distance. YOu'll be just fine, I know.

:ghug3
Old 12-23-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I so wish I could take my computer to my christmas with the family with a web cam and everything...I'll have no internet acess and lots of family stuff to deal with....

I care so much Hevyln...just trying to pay attention to the advise you are being givin tonight so I can apply it to myself as well....thanks so much for expressing your concerns and needs today....it has helped me

(hug)
Old 12-23-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((Hevyn and Ananda))) Group hug for my girls!!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll be ok too Nands but we're here for you as well

D
Old 12-23-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I will be thinking of you Hevyn, you have been a great support to me lately, Xmas is hard but I WILL be staying sober.....you will too. I will be online over Xmas so PM if you like.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hugs for Nands too.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

You can do it! I can tell by your words you want this to be a sober Christmas - so it will be!

This will be my first Christmas in many years where I am not frantically trying to find my DOC...and enough of it to last me for the next two days because I KNOW I won't be able to leave the family on xmas day to go find some.

I'm so happy to be free from active addiction. Merry Christmas everybody!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You can do this. You've come so far since you first joined us here at SR, and you have become a big part of our family here. Have faith that we will all be with you in spirit.
xoxoxo
Old 12-23-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'm in!

Someone with much more wisdom than me touched me months ago with this lil nugget of truth, "no one regrets not drinking"..

We're always here for you! Electronically or in spirit!